Spurs to end Adebayor chase...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012 ... id-136476/?

Tottenham are said to be considering pulling the plug on a proposed deal to sign Emmanuel Adebayor in the summer.

The Togolese forward is on a season long loan deal from Manchester City and talks between the two sides were said to be underway about a permanent deal for the player.

His vast wages though have always been a stumbling block, he is said to be on £170,000 a week with two years left to run on the deal he has at City.

Spurs were ready to offer £100,000 a week plus a £4m signing on fee, but this was thought not to be enough and now Spurs are ready to turn their attentions elsewhere.

Marseille striker Loic Remy and Villarreal forward Giuseppe Rossi have both been linked and would be considerably cheaper.

just read a similar article, as well as an interview with ade saying he would be
willing to take the wage drop because he was so happy at spurs...
whats everybodys thoughts no that?
is ade worth trying to get provided he fits into the wage structure or
should we give up and look elsewhere?

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
I'd have him, but not above Llorente or even Rossi.

Let's put an end to the bullshit every summer and sign this beast. Very similar player to Ade... just a lot better, granted his Transfer fee will likely be considerably more than the £10m needed to sign Ade, but I'm sure we wont need to pay him any more than 80k a week...? compared to Ade's 100k minimum!

Rosie47 said:
Good player. Doesn't score enough goals for me. Won't be sorry if he doesn't stay.
Gutted that everyone he has played for before has been proved right. Off like a bullet, then fades.

Also, if we are playing one up front, he needs to play within the 18 yard box lines. This right touch line thing is something you never saw with Lineker or Allen. Ade is just not going to get us thirty a season.

stickygerbil said:
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
I'd have him, but not above Llorente or even Rossi.

Let's put an end to the bullshit every summer and sign this beast. Very similar player to Ade... just a lot better, granted his Transfer fee will likely be considerably more than the £10m needed to sign Ade, but I'm sure we wont need to pay him any more than 80k a week...? compared to Ade's 100k minimum!

Read the other day he is about to sign a 100k a week contract extension at Bilbao.

We can't afford him anyway, transfer fee of 40m??, until we get a partner for the stadium and naming rights sorted the money we spend on transfers each summer will be directly related to the money we get in. Since 2008 our net spend is something like £18m, it's all about the NDP.

Bidding 40m Euros for players on the last minute of the transfer window is just a show Levy likes to indulge us in to keep us happy. If Modric leaves in the summer we can expect a big signing, but that's it.

what if a wage agreement isnt met and we dont sign ade.
do you think city would sell him off or try and keep him?
would they consider loaning him out to us a second season?
and if that were the case do you think we would opt for something like that
or secure a new striker or 2?

Adebayor doesnt score enough becuase he is doing half the work of the wingers/support players.

If we could get Bale to stay left and cross to him more often, and someone better than Aaron on the right who can consistantly put in a good ball Nani style I reckon he'd score lots more.

Too often he has to do all the hold up work an build up play to be a threat in front of goal.

Edit: My point being, if we did sign Llorente and managed to keep hold of the squad as it is, I think he would have the same problem.

As mentioned before he sometimes invades bales space on the left Instead of staying central which is why he hasn't even scored a headed goal this season.

It's not so much the lack of goals, it's his demeanour when he's not scoring. Blows very hot and cold, not saying that we wouldn't get that regardless but for his wages we can get better.

Thelonious said:
It's not so much the lack of goals, it's his demeanour when he's not scoring. Blows very hot and cold, not saying that we wouldn't get that regardless but for his wages we can get better.
Hmmm I'm not sure I'd agree with that. OK he's had a few below par games recently but who hasnt? I'm not sure i'd describe him as hot and cold. That would be Defoe for me, if he isnt scoring or threatening to, he is barely noticeable at times. Or better still Pav, he was lava and ice.

Dru said:
Thelonious said:
Hmmm I'm not sure I'd agree with that. OK he's had a few below par games recently but who hasnt? I'm not sure i'd describe him as hot and cold. That would be Defoe for me, if he isnt scoring or threatening to, he is barely noticeable at times. Or better still Pav, he was lava and ice.
I've been at games and seen his demeanour, Pav and Defoe aren't in his class and aren't of any value in this conversation tbf. Some games Adebayor just doesn't even look interested. Defoe and Pav won't start as many games as Adebayor so that's why it's a different discussion altogether.

Sean said:
he sometimes invades bales space on the left
I think it's more 'he sometimes covers for Bale on the left when BAE has nowhere to put the ball because Bale is off somewhere else'.

When the Bale free role was working, Adebayor and Bale were being very complementary--I have posted chalkboards from fourfourtwo that have shown Bale as playing inside of Adebayor, even. But in the past two months or so, it hasn't worked, but Adebayor has still worked to keep that channel open on the left.

I'm fine that Adebayor hasn't scored a header--the crosses from BAE and Walker (the only people reliably making crosses, it seems) tend to be on the feet, if memory serves.

I just feel like giving Bale stick for all the extra work Adebayor has had to do this year.

A lot of people were on his back tuesday standing around me, I just let him get on with it. The sarcastic cheer for Defoe wouldn't of helped his confidence. It's Pav all over again.

Thelonious said:
Dru said:
Thelonious said:
I've been at games and seen his demeanour, Pav and Defoe aren't in his class and aren't of any value in this conversation tbf. Some games Adebayor just doesn't even look interested. Defoe and Pav won't start as many games as Adebayor so that's why it's a different discussion altogether.
I'm just saying I wouldnt call describe him as hot and cold. Different games often dictate playing style, if he has space he raoms a bit, when its rediculously tight he doesnt as much. Berbatov didnt look interested half the time did he?

Back
Top Bottom