Spurs v Glentoran Centenary fixture (1982) programme

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the start of 1981/82 season, Tottenham sent over their first team to play against Glentoran (Belfast) as it marked the 100-year anniversary for both clubs (Glentoran also has a cockerel on it's crest).

A work colleague is a massive Glentoran fan and brought in the ticket and match day programme from that day. It ended in a 3-3 draw, and today Glen Men still talk about what a great game that was.

Thought many may find this interesting.

RJ3YO2M.jpg

G8QUAln.jpg

E5XxA3q.jpg

cx7ogNt.jpg

6Z5kKz8.jpg

yFHqhqh.jpg

KN2cbkq.jpg

ohdHlHb.jpg

52GHp1d.jpg

2TKfhuE.jpg

EUovFUT.jpg

Yeah there's not too many in it anymore - maybe 400 on game days.
The Sydenham End, behind the north goal, is all standing and has a large grass bank. You used to have a few thousand along it in the 80s and most of the 90s, but now you'd struggle to see 25 people in it. Sky Sports came along and distracted the next generation of local fans. The league pretty much suffered, but you'll still get semi-decent turnouts for the derby against Linfield ( josh_spurs josh_spurs ) , especially on Boxing Day - every year they play (some call it "BelClassico :)) and you'd get a good turnout.

The Oval is the worst football ground I have ever set foot into. The toilets at the visitors end comprised of a small building with a huge hole in the floor that evereryone was pissing into. One guy had a shit in it too!

Glentoran's value skyrocketed that day

The Oval is the worst football ground I have ever set foot into. The toilets at the visitors end comprised of a small building with a huge hole in the floor that evereryone was pissing into. One guy had a shit in it too!

Glentoran's value skyrocketed that day

Fratton Park was exactly the same even when they were in the Premier League - except the 'building' didn't even have a roof.

Even though this match was only a friendly, this is one of a select few games “before my time” I’d love to go back and experience (I was less than 6 months old at the time...blatant “I’m still just about in my 30s” bit there).

The reason being, I’m fan of both Glentoran and Spurs. Thanks to my dad, an East Belfast lad and Glens fan since he was a nipper, who caught a couple of Spurs games on a trip to London with his older brother for his 18th birthday. In...April 1961. You can see why he was hooked - particularly since Spurs were captained by East Belfast native, former Glentoran player and Northern Ireland captain Danny Blanchflower.

The long-lasting consequence was myself and my two brothers growing up supporting the Glens and Spurs. The four of us including my dad made the pilgrimage to the new stadium for the Norwich game in January. I’ve also with my dad’s help inducted my five year old son into the dubious pleasure of a lifetime’s fandom - and he really is fanatical already.

Anyway, back in February my dad wrote in article about the game in the Glentoran programme which I’ll post up if I can figure out how to post photos. He’s now turning out articles for the club website to keep the masses entertained in absence of football, and this week managed to chat by phone to Steve Perryman for this one, thought it might be of some interest:

I spoke to my dad earlier today and he’s still absolutely buzzing about the conversation. He says Mr P is a fantastic guy and really entertaining to talk to, as well as being hugely receptive to a normal fan. So huge thumbs up for Steve.

Last edited:
The standard is mostly shite, some players who didn't quite get the breaks or had the wrong attitude as young players in England mostly...some younger players starting to come through development programmes.

Every so often you get something worth seeing, but most of the time if they were playing in the back garden, I'd close the blinds. Unsure if the league will even finish this year, can't see the league having the money and resources available for testing for a while.

Even though this match was only a friendly, this is one of a select few games “before my time” I’d love to go back and experience (I was less than 6 months old at the time...blatant “I’m still just about in my 30s” bit there).

The reason being, I’m fan of both Glentoran and Spurs. Thanks to my dad, an East Belfast lad and Glens fan since he was a nipper, who caught a couple of Spurs games on a trip to London with his older brother for his 18th birthday. In...April 1961. You can see why he was hooked - particularly since Spurs were captained by East Belfast native, former Glentoran player and Northern Ireland captain Danny Blanchflower.

The long-lasting consequence was myself and my two brothers growing up supporting the Glens and Spurs. The four of us including my dad made the pilgrimage to the new stadium for the Norwich game in January. I’ve also with my dad’s help inducted my five year old son into the dubious pleasure of a lifetime’s fandom - and he really is fanatical already.

Anyway, back in February my dad wrote in article about the game in the Glentoran programme which I’ll post up if I can figure out how to post photos. He’s now turning out articles for the club website to keep the masses entertained in absence of football, and this week managed to chat by phone to Steve Perryman for this one, thought it might be of some interest:

I spoke to my dad earlier today and he’s still absolutely buzzing about the conversation. He says Mr P is a fantastic guy and really entertaining to talk to, as well as being hugely receptive to a normal fan. So huge thumbs up for Steve.
Thank you :)

The standard and indeed the attendances have picked up somewhat over the last 5 years or so, but yeah the gap’s huge even with middle-ranking European leagues. Hard to see a restart behind closed doors in a league so reliant on gate revenues (frustrating as that is with the Glens in the Irish Cup semi final). By the way I missed that Matty Burrows goal that was nominated for the Puskas Award thanks to being on a flight home from London that night!

Anyway, back to Steve P - I ordered his book “A Spur Forever” (published last year) online and can highly recommend it for any Spurs fan who hasn’t bought a copy (I’m guessing you have one already Mrs P:sonpoint:) - really interesting content, great photos, and beautifully published.

The standard and indeed the attendances have picked up somewhat over the last 5 years or so, but yeah the gap’s huge even with middle-ranking European leagues. Hard to see a restart behind closed doors in a league so reliant on gate revenues (frustrating as that is with the Glens in the Irish Cup semi final). By the way I missed that Matty Burrows goal that was nominated for the Puskas Award thanks to being on a flight home from London that night!

Anyway, back to Steve P - I ordered his book “A Spur Forever” (published last year) online and can highly recommend it for any Spurs fan who hasn’t bought a copy (I’m guessing you have one already Mrs P:sonpoint:) - really interesting content, great photos, and beautifully published.
Of course and signed to me with the comment "your loyalty matches my own!"
😍

Back
Top Bottom