Spurs v Liverpool 16 Dec 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EpcVhwzWwAAQN9C

If only Sissoko didn't have the technical ability of a disabled squirrel.

Blame Bergwijn.
At least once a match I go "Imagine if that was Ndombele/Lo Celso on the ball"

Just listening to Football Weekly and Barry Glendenning making a case for this being our performance of the season and that we were the better team by a distance. Accusing Liverpool of getting away with it via a fluke deflection and a last minute set piece, otherwise having nothing that came close to bothering us.

Hugo did have a few saves to make, but nothing worse than a standard Dav back pass.
Glendenning said that?

giphy.gif

The 5-1 was worse for me

Where does. ‘Radical Rei’ come from?
Dunno about radical, but Rei was a character from a show called Neon Genesis Evangelion back in 1995. Fun fact, Robin Williams references the show in "One Hour Photo". Someone 4 pages down probably already answered that question though lol

In relation to the game, we were 3 sitters away from the game becoming a "Jose Masterclass". I get being frustrated at conceding a 90th minute goal, but I'm not blaming Jose for Bergwijn and Kane messing their chances up.

You're fucking dense aren't you?

Lucas most likely doesn't end up in that position. He'd try to dribble past people, get dispossessed, and have us on the back foot again.

He'd most likely get in the way of Kane/Son with his lack of positional sense and poor passing.

He'd fail to effectively cover for the defence and as a result we'd be less likely to win.
You realize he’s the guy that stepped in alongside Son to get us to the CL final fight? It’s not like he hasn’t ever performed at the highest level.

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Still find it difficult to watch this style of football from Spurs. That being said, we were so close to remaining on top, after an away match at 2nd place team. Their first goal was shit.

:mourfacepalm:

2. I usually gripe about passing accuracy I’m not sure a lot of errant “kicks” could be classified as passes. Hard to even classify them as clearances, when they were barely making it out of the box. So many hit and hope were coming right back down their respective throats. My kingdom for at least A LITTLE possession.

3. Seemed like way too many missed traps and bad short passes. Just the basics.

4. Toss up between Hugo and Serge for MOTM. Spectacular saves from Lloris kept us in it yet again. Maybe the best I’ve seen from Serge. Mane was his bitch.

5. Surprised to see Davies start, but it worked out well defensively.

6. Not much thoughts on Dele, still don’t think he adds to much to the attack. I still would like to see him at DM

7. Lucas for GLC spelled the end of much of a scoring threat.
What spectacular saves from Hugo?

He didn’t have much to do

No chance with first complete fluke and no chance with the second

Apart from that he made a couple of routine saves
That’s all

But I agree that Aurier had another good game and was Motm just ahead of Sissoko

Did anyone notice Mo Salad chip the ball at PEH's arm? Mane did exactly the same thing in the CL final, and it paid off big-time.
Call me ultra-cynical, but I'm convinced that kind of move is encouraged, when the opportunity arises.

Last December, Klopp said the following after signing a contract extension:

“If the people wanted a lift today and they feel it is a lift then they are welcome,” Klopp said. “That’s nice. I feel the same, it is the same strange feeling after what happened yesterday which was tough to take."

'And what happened yesterday?' I hear you ask...

He was referring to the General Election!!

He thought maybe his contract extension was the antidote to a national democratic vote and it might just bring a little light into the humdrum lives of the people of the good city of Liverpool.

Unbelievable.

He's a fucking arrogant, patronising cunt.
He was very ungracious about Fulham, and is an entitled, whining twat, just like the LFC fans.

Did anyone notice Mo Salad chip the ball at PEH's arm? Mane did exactly the same thing in the CL final, and it paid off big-time.
Call me ultra-cynical, but I'm convinced that kind of move is encouraged, when the opportunity arises.
I wish next time they try to do that someone punches their teeth out. Cunts.

I'm gonna be bitter as fuck about this result for a long time. We had it in our grasp, like practically every game we failed to win, we were the better side, we just didn't.

One of my odd habits is to rewatch a game from "the other side" - i.e. if I were the opposing side's fan, how would I think my own team performed? That's because I often get a little harsh on our players on things like their decision-making in the final third, and then when I watch as the opposing team I realize that their players are just as headless 😅 As it turns out, it's much easier to see things from the vantage point of a laptop on the couch than in-game under extreme pressure where you have a fraction of a second to make a move.

In this case, while we did have the 2-3 biggest chances and they had a bunch of smaller ones, I don't think our issue is finishing, it's creating a lot more of those "ok to decent" chances in their penalty box - they don't have to be clear shots, just get those balls in the penalty box because we do have two elite finishers who can put away half-chances if you get enough to them. Lloris wasn't stretched, but that was because Mane and Salah's shots were so tame - put Sonny in those positions and he'd get at least one of those imo, especially since he'd go through the keeper's legs instead of straight at them. You have to expect any team to miss a few big chances (just watch MOTD!) so we need to figure out how to generate a greater number of chances more consistently, that's much more dependable than counting on 100% finishing. That means getting into their final third and penalty area more, at least against the non-top 3-4 sides, and finding more sources of creativity.

Some cases for optimism for me are that we did come out with a different gameplan at the start with a surprisingly aggressive press (visibly different from what we set out to do against City/Chelsea) prior to their goal, which shows some tactical flexibility even if we can't quite execute it for 90 min yet + recognition that Liverpool have been a little susceptible themselves when teams actually attack them. Mou was also quick and pro-active with his subs and I think we genuinely "went for it" at the end, I don't think we were content with a point. Which is a good sign, mentality-wise.

Liverpool are still the best team in the league for me but I can see why they've been dropping points this season and will keep doing so. Honestly think Eze and co scared me a bit more when they got in the same positions, there are a lot of teams that can damage each other in this league. I'm just glad that we're in this position and we gotta keep battling through every game, table is so tight that anything can happen.

The last episode (congratulations, Shinji, you found yourself) and the first movie were the most pretentious things I've seen in anime lol (loved the first 26 episodes though!)
I just couldn't handle the whinyness of Shinji, I didn't even get that far.

The thing that worries me more than the narrow loss yesterday is the fear that the result means that sides stop showing up against Liverpool again and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy all over again.
I hope they remember how Villa and Fulham played against them then. They have weaknesses, but these have been exposed when they have been playing away.

Back
Top Bottom