SPURS v SOUTHAMPTON midweek, Wednsday (is it?) 6'ish

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With Jose as manager we have failed to win a game without Harry Kane this season.
Awesome. I’m happy to swap meaningless comparisons with you if you like.

With Jose as manager, we battered Southampton off the park at their place, when they weren’t the worst team in the league.

Not sure what either thing has to do with last nights performance though.

With Jose as manager, we battered Southampton off the park at their place, when they weren’t the worst team in the league.

Actually we didn't.
The first half down at Southampton they totally outplayed us.
Even though we won the game comfortably in the end, their XP was greater than ours, basically meaning they created the better chances. They had more shots, and more shots on target than us also.

All we had that day was world class finishing from Son. We scored 5 goals from 6 shots

The stat you would have been better off saying was under Jose we were rarely behind at half time, which is why we didn't come back from being behind which would be valid.

Last edited:
Actually we didn't.
Even though we won the game comfortably in the end, their XP was greater than ours, basically meaning they created the better chances. They had more shots, and more shots on target than us also.

All we had that day was world class finishing from Son. We scored 5 goals from 6 shots

The stat you would have been better off saying was under Jose we were rarely behind at half time, which is why we didn't come back from being behind which would be valid.
Don’t give a flying fuck what the XP or XG was, we scored five. They scored a lot less. So we battered them. Stop trying to make football more complicated than it is.

Actually we didn't.

Utter nonsense. This XP/XG thing is a load of crap.

Delete your account and never post on here again from posting such embarrassing shit.

They battered us in the first half at St. Mary's. We were really lucky to be 1-1.

The second half was historic stuff of course, but it doesn't change how poor we were in the first half.

Best performance second half for months. First come back win when losing at half time.

He has had 2 days.

Some people are always miserable bastards
Bullshit. When we won games in similar fashion in the last year and I called for cool heads as you’ve done people shouted me down.

I didn’t see anything different from the players having their freedom. It just said to me that the players are the problem here and I hope we, Daniel really, sort it out before the next boss.

Bullshit. When we won games in similar fashion in the last year and I called for cool heads as you’ve done people shouted me down.

I didn’t see anything different from the players having their freedom. It just said to me that the players are the problem here and I hope we, Daniel really, sort it out before the next boss.

This was factually the first game this season we have turned around a 1 - 0 half-time deficit to win. It is hardly bullshit to say it was the best second half for months. Not stellar but so much better.

I don't trust Levy to sort anything out except his own greedy priorities of turning the best profit for him and granddad greed Joe.

This was factually the first game this season we have turned around a 1 - 0 half-time deficit to win.
AltruisticMediumBoto-size_restricted.gif

As a stand alone performance and result there is absolutely nothing to get too excited about, but the fact is that it isn't a stand alone situation.

There are many positives to take from last night and obviously some ongoing negatives but in my humblest of opinions it will be slightly easier for any new manager with this group of players to address the core issue at hand and that was/is taking the shackles off them.

The first half was as poor as any under Mourinho, or anyone else, from a purely footballing point of view but under the surface you could see players were working a bit harder and pressing a bit more even if it was disjointed. That is completely understandable given they've had about 7 minutes to work on/take on board the ideas Mason has.

The second half was much better, not exactly tearing it up, but we started to gain a grip of the game and Southampton were largely nullified. We kept the ball a bit better and I felt as the half wore on the defence began to 'relax'. Not in the truest sense of the word but you could tell they didn't have the same fear that's become so thematic over the last however many months. They clearly saw our midfield and attacking players attempting to play some actual football and probably felt relieved that they weren't being asked to be on the back foot for 60/70% of the game, a la Mourinho times.

Other positives; a nice goal from Bale. A lovely team goal that was sadly (correctly) ruled offside and a desire to keep plodding away in an attempt to win the game.

Whilst I agree with you about the team aspects in the post, cannot in any way agree with you about the decisions.

Goal 100% correctly disallowed for offside. Their keepers view totally blocked by Moura, he wouldn't even have seen the ball until it had gone past Moura. If that is not interfering with an opponents ability to play whilst being in an offside position, then nothing is.
And handball before the goal. So all your post does is shows you don't know the handball law then. Firstly it hit above the T-Shirt line, which totally rules it out from being an offence, and arm was tucked in. It cannot in any way shape or from be a handball under the laws of the game.
In fact the handball that could have been given was against Alderweireld immediately after that and before the foul on Reguillon.

Blaming VAR for your lack of knowledge of the laws of the game, and total bias is what is blatant, not VAR itself being shocking, it worked very well yesterday.
Thanks for the feedback.

:mourthumb:

They battered us in the first half at St. Mary's. We were really lucky to be 1-1.

The second half was historic stuff of course, but it doesn't change how poor we were in the first half.

But yes it does change it. It makes the first half irrelevant because we turned it around and WON.

Of course it changes things.

Jose was our manager until Monday Morning and a lot of that had to do with last nights start. A man that does not believe in fitness and conditioning analysis and does not believe that analysis should be used in improving players, shows that he is well behind the times. The second half performance was a massive improvement, and Ryan Mason acknowledged that.

Jose was our manager until Monday Morning and a lot of that had to do with last nights start. A man that does not believe in fitness and conditioning analysis and does not believe that analysis should be used in improving players, shows that he is well behind the times. The second half performance was a massive improvement, and Ryan Mason acknowledged that.
I did say in the match thread that the second half was better. Also said that Mason had no time with the players to do anything, so in those we are in agreement.

Just pointing out we got many wins like this under Jose and he got battered for it. I’m not suggesting we give Mason similar treatment, just saying I saw nothing different last night to what I’ve seen before. And I didn’t expect anything different. Same players after all.

Back
Top Bottom