Spurs v Villa 19/20 Ratings and Ramblings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
LOL yeah I'm sure Pochettino would have been delighted in that first half if Lamela had have stayed wide and not come centrally when he was selected as a number 10. Do you actually know where a 10 plays?

It says a lot about your moronic crusade against him that you actively want him to do things that he's not even being asked to do by the manager. He wasn't selected as a winger, or even a wide forward for that matter. Why the fuck would he stay wide? Second half when he was asked to play on the left at the start of the half, he did, but that doesn't suit his best attributes, which is finding those little balls in tight areas and his ability to win the ball high up the picth.

As for me, I'm glad he did stay centrally because it was ulteimately him in the middle and his tenacity that played a massive role in us getting the 3 points.

You need a lot of interchangeability and fluidity of movent amongst attacking players, regardless of what formation you play, The best players will adapt to the game and find space, Kane, Eriksen... They'll go where the space is, be that central or our wide, even if they start a 9 or 10. But Lamela gravitates to central positions almost regardless of where his position is. We're generally a more static team when he plays.

System changed, pace introduced, game won...this football lark is easy .
Maybe Poch experiments during games he feels we should win... who knows? But he must realise the diamond just does not bring the best out in anyone. KWP wins my MotM because he didnt do a lot wrong and played the whole game... but Eriksen probably deserves it.
Poch, stop being stubborn!!

Given the opposition, I think he could have started GKN. He's the forgotten man, everyone thinks he's on his way, but they thought that about Sissoko this time last year.

He would have provided some natural width. He was on the subs bench and came on, so he's obviously been doing something right in training.

Don't wholly disagree with this.

But I do wonder if Poch is putting him in the shop window with a view to him going later this month, probably back to France - and that frees up an 'overseas trained' player spot for the January TW, which is certainly desirable.

By that time Sessegnon should be just coming back, and imo he can do more than GKN - speed but also has a track record of creating assists and even scoring goals from a wide position for Fulham in PL, and many more in Championship. He's not the finished article but I'm sure Poch will want to improve him whether he finishes up as a wide forward or LB.

But maybe Poch will give GKN more appearances until January both to bolster the Spurs squad but also make him more attractive to other clubs.

My thoughts on a few players.

KWP
Can't really judge him on this game. He did the attacking parts ok, not great but ok, but he wasn't under any pressure defensively.

Rose
Could be partly blamed for the goal, maybe. He didn't get round on the cover quick enough and should have been alive to the danger. Thought he did well going forward, again, not great.

Davinson
Was totally to blame for the goal, he was too interested in the player rather than judging the flight of the ball. It happened later on in the game as well, where he lost the flight of the ball. A worry when we play "lesser" teams that play a lot more longer balls.

Ndombele
1st half was poor (who wasn't) 2nd half was always looking to play the ball forward, good stuff.

Sissoko
Did his usual stuff, bursting runs, breaking up play etc. He could have got a couple of goals but as usual his end product let him down. He did get an assist though.

Lamela and Moura
Both were equally bad in the first half.
How anyone can say Moura was better than him yesterday is beyond me, both poor, both losing the ball, both tripping over the ball.
In the second half Lamela's work rate saved him and it was that work rate that led to a goal. Yes Grealish dwelt on the ball but it still needed someone to put in the effort to go and get it off him.

Surprised anyone can blame Sanchez for the opening goal.

It was all Rose. 100% to blame for the goal.
I blame him.

He was too interested in tangling with the attacker rather than concentrating on the ball. It happened more than once.
I can't see Toby or Jan getting caught out like that.

Rose ? Yep should of been quicker to react/spot the danger.

Villa had a Championship level defence and we should have smashed them 6-0 and gone top of the league. These poor first half showings were prevalent last season and we need to start games faster, get the tactics right from the off because you can't keep having to go into second halves 0-1, 0-0 or 1-0, which is what we've been doing too often for a long time.

I feel like we spent the entirety of last season going 1-0 down by 10 minutes, so that we were forever chasing the game to try and make a comeback.

The fact that we managed it so often is testament to our ability and tenacity, but holy fuck we shouldn't have been in those kinds of situations so often. It's like we've killed the curse of not being able to see a game out but shifted our problem to the start of the game instead where we take forever to get into it!

STILL, a win is a win and I'm stoked we picked up three points. It'll be great to see how we play once N'dombele, Lo Celso and Sess are firing on all cylinders.
Not convinced by the diamond, but I cant help but feel like Poch has to be persisting for a reason.

I blame him.

He was too interested in tangling with the attacker rather than concentrating on the ball. It happened more than once.
I can't see Toby or Jan getting caught out like that.

Rose ? Yep should of been quicker to react/spot the danger.

Sanchez done exactly what he was supposed to do. Challenge the attacker.

Alderweireld was nowhere to be seen and Rose was fast asleep. Didn't help that Sissoko failed to follow McGinn. (SHOCK)

Seen both Alderwierled and Vertonghen "caught out" like that over the last 12 months alone.

Alderweireld was nowhere to be seen and Rose was fast asleep. Didn't help that Sissoko failed to follow McGinn. (SHOCK)

Seen both Alderwierled and Vertonghen "caught out" like that over the last 12 months alone.

How an earth anyone blames Sanchez for that is laughable, did exactly what he should be right on his man making sure he doesn’t get a sniff.

That’s not even the daftest thing, I read someone in the match thread trying to blame Winks.

Rose is caught out by the long ball, which can happen the way we were pushing up, but the way he allows Sausage McGinn to mug him off is piss poor.

And McGinn has run off Sissoko, but worse, is how Sissoko reacts, it’s now a 3 v 3 and he can see this developing but just gives up chasing back.

Last edited:

How am earth anyone blames Sanchez for that is laughable, did exactly what he should be right on his man making sure he doesn’t get a sniff.

So now we're saying that when a long, hopeful punt is booted 60 yards up the middle of the pitch a CB (any CB) is supposed tangle with the attacker and "not let him get a sniff", instead of attacking the ball and heading it clear.

Fair enough.

Edit: I will look forward to every CB not heading the ball from now on.

Last edited:
Lloris - N/A had nothing to do, I don’t think he touched the ball more than 5 times
KWP 7 - our best player, won his duels and looked assured
Alderweireld 6 - one good block, nothing else to do
Sanchez 5 - won most of his headers and was calm in possession but not the first time we concede this type of goal when he’s playing
Rose 4 - away with the fairies, let his man in repeatedly and gave several daft fouls away in the final third
Winks 4 - poor game, timid passing
Ndombele 5 - struggled until the goal, then he came alive
Sissoko 5 - not capable of playing football in the box, several awful shots and dithered repeatedly but he ran around
Lucas 5 - needs to do so much more, games like this are why he was dropped for the CL final. Plays too much with his head down and goes down blind alleys, should have scored an easy header
Lamela 5 - mostly cack but he pinched the ball for the winning goal
Kane 7 - two nice finishes, should have had a hat trick with that header he missed

Eriksen 7 - played with very good intensity for someone in his situation, when he came on Villa started to suffer
Nkoudou and Skipp - N/A

How am earth anyone blames Sanchez for that is laughable, did exactly what he should be right on his man making sure he doesn’t get a sniff.
It's defending 101 Blakey play the ball not the man ... if Sanchez concentrates on heading the long ball there is probably no danger, I've not seen a replay but it looked first time up that Sanchez and ???? tangle allowing the ball to bounce ... after that Rose falls over and Hugo is a a bit weak with the left hand, but credit to the striker it's great finish. Golden rule never let the long ball bounce ... we did and it cost us.

It's defending 101 Blakey play the ball not the man ... if Sanchez concentrates on heading the long ball there is probably no danger, I've not seen a replay but it looked first time up that Sanchez and ???? tangle allowing the ball to bounce ... after that Rose falls over and Hugo is a a bit weak with the left hand, but credit to the striker it's great finish. Golden rule never let the long ball bounce ... we did and it cost us.

If Rose continued to cover, he'd have got the ball. Rose completely switches off and then when he scrambles back, he makes yet another error by going to ground.

Round about the 15 second mark, Rose sort of hesitates for no reason. Everything he done after that didn't help his cause.

In f act, just by watching that clip I am not even sure Sanchez could EVER make a header to clear it. It's a wildly overhit ball which McGinn gambled on fair play to him. Sissoko poor for not tracking him. Rose poor for failing to cover and going to ground.

Back
Top Bottom