Spurs vs Chelsea - The Reckoning

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just watched Siggy's goal again, and it really is brilliant. After the fantastic build up, his first touch to control and set it away from his body is just perfect and then the speed and precision of the finish is that of a natural finisher. I think we've missed a trick with not playing him more this season, he clearly has some real ability.

Been saying this all season since he first signed, even got criticized over saying he should have more playing time.

I'm glad people are warming up to him he's a great little player.

I was really unimpressed with him at the start and his form in the second half of the season doesn't hide the fact he was very average.

I'm delighted for him that he's getting back to his best. Seems finally getting his first goal after so many near misses did him the world of good. Last night's touch and finish was as good as you'll see from anyone in the premier league from that position.

Been saying this all season since he first signed, even got criticized over saying he should have more playing time.

I'm glad people are warming up to him he's a great little player.

If only he had more game time than say Dempsey?

The guy is a massive threat from the edge of the box (see basel goal and many close shots i.e Everton away). He is actually quite tall and a threat in the box (if only that header went in Stoke home). Much better passer of the ball, can 'see a picture' (great through ball for Lennon Reading away).

Then again Demspey has scored some crucial goals even if he hasn't wowed us, just seems like Siggy got placed really far down the pecking order for a large chunk of the season when he is actually one of our better players.

I was really unimpressed with him at the start and his form in the second half of the season doesn't hide the fact he was very average.

I'm delighted for him that he's getting back to his best. Seems finally getting his first goal after so many near misses did him the world of good. Last night's touch and finish was as good as you'll see from anyone in the premier league from that position.

That's it, but the ability was always there look at last season, just needed to unearth it, and starting Dempsey ahead of him every match was never going to do it.

Possibly. Though you could argue that avb was protecting him a little bit. Bad form can breed more bad form. Instead he lets him bed in a bit more, show his stuff in training and use him when and where he feels he'll make a difference. Think he's trying to do the same with holtby

Possibly. Though you could argue that avb was protecting him a little bit. Bad form can breed more bad form. Instead he lets him bed in a bit more, show his stuff in training and use him when and where he feels he'll make a difference. Think he's trying to do the same with holtby

Valid point

One of the things that I noticed was Dawson on set pieces. He is completely lost. He got beaten to the ball by Cahill for the goal pretty easily and only stopped him the second time by basically tackling him to the ground. Also couldn't pick them out on the counter that led to the second.

I love the guy, great captain, but I thought he was really poor besides taking one to the face.

One of the things that I noticed was Dawson on set pieces. He is completely lost. He got beaten to the ball by Cahill for the goal pretty easily and only stopped him the second time by basically tackling him to the ground. Also couldn't pick them out on the counter that led to the second.

I love the guy, great captain, but I thought he was really poor besides taking one to the face.
so on set pieces, you expect Dawson to mark every player in the box, not wearing a Spurs shirt, do you?
Dawson had a bloody good game, Marked his man out of the game and produced an absolutely stunning tackle in the second half that warranted a 5 minute pause whilst it was replayed a few times on the giant screen. He had 3 of their midfield midgets running straight down his throat and he somehow blocked them all, made the tackle and came away with the ball cleanly.
Given that he was faced by fast moving and skillful midfielders (all valued at 4/5 times his transfer fee) for most of the game, he used his experience and ball reading skills to prevent getting done by any of them, and put in multiple blocks and tackles.

Apart from all of that, I'd agree with your post entirely.

The away end really got under John Terry's skin last night. He hated "you let your children down" and even spat towards the Spurs fans when we were singing it. Well in to anyone involved.

The most infuriating performance from Ade.. more so than the avalanche of shiftless shifts this season. :avbfacepalm:

The cynic in me thinks that he put himself about to get himself a good deal at another club. The nicer bit of me gives him the benefit of the doubt and makes allowances for him and puts down his recent performances to him not really being fit. :adeohshit:

I don't think "recent performances" is fair considering we are 36 games in to the season. He's been absolute shite pretty much whenever he's played and last night was his first good game. I hope people don't let 1 good performance get in the way of 25+ shit ones.

Back
Top Bottom