Spurs vs Kyle Walker's Oil Riggers 29/07/17 23:00BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those times we top. Remember? Me neither.

That's what infuriates me the most about "bottling". We weren't top are for two years essentially the only chasers.

Crazy that consistently we've been the best team over 2 seasons in every aspect.

But never once been top.

Concerning performance

My thoughts exactly. Pretty much our "A" team, and looked awful most of the match. Surprised possession percentage was as even as it was. Most of our possession seemed to be in our own third trying (and trying, and trying) to pass it out of the back. Must of been some sort of a record for drop passes back to the keeper.
Once we finally got it out, it usually resulted in a nervy pass forward, that got intercepted. Trapping was poor.

One bright spot for me was NGK. Great speed and tricky on the ball. Hugo was bright too, could have been 6-0 with out some stellar saves

Well just got done watching that shit show.....boy oh boy....let's hope the entire squad was at the lasagna or something cause otherwise I dread to think what's gonna happen to us in that Chelsea game in a couple of weeks. We looked like we weren't in the same league as City. As much I love the idea of improving and getting the most of our existing squad, promoting youth, etc, we definitely need to go and buy some fucking quality players asap.
I take it you haven't watch Chelsea's pre-season games?

Well after all the soppy shit with his emotional twitter videos etc maybe that would have been expected.
There were people in this forum saying he should not be booed when he plays against us - he showed last night he has no respect or concern for Spurs fans so is fair game for any stick he gets when he plays against us.
He's just another journeyman footballer. You'd be better off cheering ours - than booing the opposition's players.
It's done. He's gone

No, but I fear that if we play anything like we did against City, Chelsea will eat us alive no matter what state they are in.
They were like Chelsea under Maureen's last spell. Should have been 8-0 down, in first half against Bayern, much worse than us last night and against Inter they were like they were (and us) under AVB. They have lost Costa and now Matic and replaced them with worse players. They only trusted 13 players last season, but now they have Europe to balance, so anyone coming into their team has less minutes under their belt than some of our fringe players have. They haven't outplay us once in the last two seasons (includes the Semi-final). They are obviously a good side, but I've seen nothing to suggest they will eat us alive.

Again, so much gets distorted in pre-season games. I commented after our game, in hope more than anything, that it might have been the case that we arrived at the game fatigued following some heavy training sessions, well Poch confirmed that they had a massive session the day before the game, which now explains not being "on it". Reporters that were pitch side have also been saying that at half time that many of our players were doing full length pitch sprints, at the end of the game too (not a warm down session). Not confirmed, but may be Guardiola's training is on a different programme and he decided to rest his players so they were fresher, who knows??? They were good, we weren't.

They were like Chelsea under Maureen's last spell. Should have been 8-0 down, in first half against Bayern, much worse than us last night and against Inter they were like they were (and us) under AVB. They have lost Costa and now Matic and replaced them with worse players. They only trusted 13 players last season, but now they have Europe to balance, so anyone coming into their team has less minutes under their belt than some of our fringe players have. They haven't outplay us once in the last two seasons (includes the Semi-final). They are obviously a good side, but I've seen nothing to suggest they will eat us alive.

Again, so much gets distorted in pre-season games. I commented after our game, in hope more than anything, that it might have been the case that we arrived at the game fatigued following some heavy training sessions, well Poch confirmed that they had a massive session the day before the game, which now explains not being "on it". Reporters that were pitch side have also been saying that at half time that many of our players were doing full length pitch sprints, at the end of the game too (not a warm down session). Not confirmed, but may be Guardiola's training is on a different programme and he decided to rest his players so they were fresher, who knows??? They were good, we weren't.
I'll take your word for it, and hope that they are off form, cause I'm sure we'll be nervy at our first home game at Wembley and a fully firing Chelsea is the last thing we need to deal with it.

That aside, yes pre-season is hard to judge as always. It was clear that we weren't really closing down much, a lot of players were just jogging around and not chasing back. But having said that, my real worry is that it wasn't just fitness that was the issue against City, we just looked helpless against their quick passing and clever movement. They were cutting us open so easily and always had so many options. And our passing continues to be a huge liability against teams who close us down high up the pitch. Basically same old problems.

People should be aware that a friendly isn't a competitive game at all. Why would they put the same effort into a meaningless game as they would an epl shift. It's an opportunity to try out new things, get the body going again and try inexperienced players.

Inexperienced players? Did you see the starting 11?
I understand it's just a friendly and means fuck but to blame it on inexperience after seeing the starting 11 is laughable!

I'll take your word for it, and hope that they are off form, cause I'm sure we'll be nervy at our first home game at Wembley and a fully firing Chelsea is the last thing we need to deal with it.

That aside, yes pre-season is hard to judge as always. It was clear that we weren't really closing down much, a lot of players were just jogging around and not chasing back. But having said that, my real worry is that it wasn't just fitness that was the issue against City, we just looked helpless against their quick passing and clever movement. They were cutting us open so easily and always had so many options. And our passing continues to be a huge liability against teams who close us down high up the pitch. Basically same old problems.
We need to find a way to beat certain teams press, namely Liverpool's and Citeh's, many other teams try to do it but we either change shape (switch from 3-4 at the back for example) or the oppo can't maintain it and over the 90 become the dominant side, which happens against Citeh (not last night). So I wouldn't labour on the point as a massive problem more a selective one. I think Poch has us drilled as a fantastically diverse tactically astute team, however the only time I have seen him have us sit deep and counter was in his first North London derby at the Emirates, given how we have struggled against Liverpool I would like to see us try to go long against them, nothing really to do with us to much either as every team that does it to them ends up beating them.

We lost the league to Chelsea, do you disagree with that?
Tell me when we were a huge margin ahead of everyone and then slumped and let Chelsea overtake us?

Because if you can, then that is when we "lost" the league.

IIRC we were always trying to catch up on their amazing start including stopping a huge winning run. We scored more goals, lost less games and played better football.

Oh wait. We were ahead at Stamford Bridge and lost.

Yeah - you're right. We bottled it.

Back
Top Bottom