SPURS Vs VILLA. MNF FTW TBF!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Someone of a stat persuasion may be able to back me up here, but wasn't Mason one of the top tacklers in our team last season? Certainly in midfield he had the highest tackles per game or some shit, I'm sure.

Someone of a stat persuasion may be able to back me up here, but wasn't Mason one of the top tacklers in our team last season? Certainly in midfield he had the highest tackles per game or some shit, I'm sure.
Here you go Benny....
3rc30vt.png

Interesting, I thought Mason was higher up. Also interesting to see Bentaleb with a higher stat ranking compared to Wanyama and Schneiderlin.

Interesting, I thought Mason was higher up. Also interesting to see Bentaleb with a higher stat ranking compared to Wanyama and Schneiderlin.
I just looked at overall performances on Squawka (2014/15)....Schneiderlin 666pts & Bentaleb 539pts the former having better attacking and possession scores but Bentaleb is five years younger!
I'm a big fan of both Mason & Bentaleb, given what they achieved last season (their first) but it's difficult to see how they're going to get game time just at the moment...perhaps later in the season
when rotation becomes necessary.

Last season Mason made an average of 2.8 tackles per game and 1.6 interceptions.
Bentaleb made an average of 2.3 tackles and 2.5 interceptions.
However, last year Mason was far superior offensively making 4 assists and 1 goal making more key passes and having more shots compared to Nabil's 2 assists.
So really Mason should be given a bit more credit for his first ever PL season.

Schneiderlin last season: 3.7 & 2.6, 4 goals and 1 assist. Mason slightly better shots per game/key passes

This season, so far, Dier has averaged 3.4 tackles & 2.5 interceptions and 2 goals
compared to MS's 3.1 & 2.7 and 1 goal

Throw as many pie charts at it as you want, it's abundantly clear that we are better with Dier in front of our back four than we were with Mason or Bentaleb

Mason looks better when he has more freedom in midfield and is not tied to a DM role.

We have a number of midfielders that can do a job now which is great as they are fairly interchangeable and allow rotation during games

Last season Mason made an average of 2.8 tackles per game and 1.6 interceptions.
Bentaleb made an average of 2.3 tackles and 2.5 interceptions.
However, last year Mason was far superior offensively making 4 assists and 1 goal making more key passes and having more shots compared to Nabil's 2 assists.
So really Mason should be given a bit more credit for his first ever PL season.

Schneiderlin last season: 3.7 & 2.6, 4 goals and 1 assist. Mason slightly better shots per game/key passes

This season, so far, Dier has averaged 3.4 tackles & 2.5 interceptions and 2 goals
compared to MS's 3.1 & 2.7 and 1 goal
Dier is going to shit all over Schneiderlin:
Fucking prick can stick Man U up his kyber pass!

Bentaleb's main (ongoing) problem is that he gave the ball away far too cheaply in dangerous areas with underhit / misplaced square passes. Dier doesn't appear to have that problem, although he's benefited somewhat from being the DM in a different style of Spurs side that doesn't play the high line half as much as we did last season.

Plus, Dier is just a beast.

I wish Cuntweasel was still in charge for this one - that's all
I don't... you just KNOW he'd have 'weaseled' a draw out of that one, and celebrated like he'd just won the League on our pitch (like he probably did in 2004/05!!)
Villa scored at exactly the same minute as Stoke did when they were also 0-2 down...
It wouldn't have been totally out of the question or particularly unSpursy for history to repeat itself!

I like Mason and Benny a lot actually, Benny on his day looks a lovely player- I reckon a period on the treatment table and away from the pitch may have done him good after the start he had this season. Hes a very young lad and made a huge jump to get in the first team and for the most part he has played well for us. He's 20 years of age ffs lads give him a chance!
Mason is clever, has tons of heart and is a tasty wee passer in the final third-Dier gave him the freedom to get into dangerous positions before he got injured and he will slot in there again I'm sure, needs a bit of fitness now just.

We have great young options in midfield which we will need later in the season.

Makes me laugh how easy it is to see people's favourites and who they dislike.

Our 3rd goal last night
Mason carries the ball 2/3rds the length of the pitch, with a quick one two.
Onomah makes a very simple one touch pass in a one two with Mason.

"Mason is useless and isn't fit for a top 4 team"
"Credit Onomah in the build up the the final goal. He could be a superb player"

:pochfacepalm:

I just looked at overall performances on Squawka (2014/15)....Schneiderlin 666pts & Bentaleb 539pts the former having better attacking and possession scores but Bentaleb is five years younger!
I'm a big fan of both Mason & Bentaleb, given what they achieved last season (their first) but it's difficult to see how they're going to get game time just at the moment...perhaps later in the season
when rotation becomes necessary.

Stats do not matter that much. MS never beat us in the Prem with the saints.

Dembele shit down his neck when we played against him at Utd. Still fuming it took an own goal for them to get an undeserved win. Utd are struggling for goals. It's delicious.

When Dembele and Bentaleb were on the pitch, they did not get a single shot on target against us. That IMO is an amazing stat. In old Trafford, holding Utd to no shots at goal for what was it? An hour?

It would have been a different story had Eriksen's shot gone in. He's another that is on the cusp of getting it in the net from open play more often. I'm convinced he needs to do less water carrying. He's useless at it.

You can argue him crowding Mason did him no favors and it led to the deflected shot last night. Mason looked rusty, but what was Eriksen doing? Unshackle Eriksen Poch!!

Last edited:
Dembele, Toby and Lamela all looked top form. I think Toby is the biggest reason the Spurs have the 2nd best GA in the league. He's nearly mistake proof.

Wouldn't surprise me if some big name clubs go after him before Kane.

Stats do not matter that much.
Wotcha Gibbsy....
I like stats, but then I was a trader for 29 years, so I have a bias.
The thing about stats is that one needs to view them over a period of time for them to have any value.
I've noticed on many footy blogs that people refer to 'facts' as a stat. This is misleading. Stats are series of
'facts' that, when viewed over a period of time, allow for an opinion to be made, in this case, on the behaviour
patterns of football teams and players.We've always had stats in football i.e. league tables.
I think Eriksen has improved his defensive duties this season but I agree they are not his forté but needed
when Rosey is bombing forward all the time.

Back
Top Bottom