Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say it now, Roles isn't challenging anyone in the first team right now (not those that are at Hotspur Way, I'm not including Jansen).

McDermot has a role in this too, I'm guessing but probably bigger?? The lad is still under his tutelage. He and Poch are by all accounts very tight and on the same page.

I'm not saying he should be playing in our first team right now, obviously, but would you honestly not have rather seen him on the bench last night than some who were? Our bench last night didn't contain one single attacking player, and has been bereft of them for weeks.

I'm not saying he should be playing in our first team right now, obviously, but would you honestly not have rather seen him on the bench last night than some who were? Our bench last night didn't contain one single attacking player, and has been bereft of them for weeks.
Honestly, no.

We brought on two Fullbacks from the bench last night, Foyth made more attacking contributions than Tripps did all match. I'd go so far as to say I would prefer to bring on an FB (Foyth isn't an FB) when chasing a game rather than Llorente. I hate how we play when we are chasing a game and bring on Llorente, we just go long, pumping aimless balls into a crowed and well-defended box. Rather we build up play with Llorente like we started to at the beginning of the first half.

I say it now, Roles isn't challenging anyone in the first team right now (not those that are at Hotspur Way, I'm not including Jansen).

McDermot has a role in this too, I'm guessing but probably bigger?? The lad is still under his tutelage. He and Poch are by all accounts very tight and on the same page.

Not sure anyone is suggesting Roles is challenging a first team player now.

But given injuries to Kane and Lamela and Llorente at 34 not being able to play weekend - mid week - weekend, that leaves a lot of playing time on Son Moura Dele and Eriksen and not too much on the bench. Versus Bournemouth I'd have Roles on the bench to bring on and rest an AM (perhaps Dele) if we are 2 goals up after say 60 minutes. His energy and relentless pressing might add to Spurs as well as his ability to be in the right place at right time.

Surely send an option ( although obviously I don't see him in training etc)

Honestly, no.

We brought on two Fullbacks from the bench last night, Foyth made more attacking contributions than Tripps did all match. I'd go so far as to say I would prefer to bring on an FB (Foyth isn't an FB) when chasing a game rather than Llorente. I hate how we play when we are chasing a game and bring on Llorente, we just go long, pumping aimless balls into a crowed and well-defended box. Rather we build up play with Llorente like we started to at the beginning of the first half.

Come on Guido, it was 94 minutes until Foyth did anything productive offensively against West Ham and we were ripped apart down that flank all game, if that was Trippier you'd have been absolutely caning him.

How the fuck KWP is now behind Foyth for rb is anyone's guess. Maybe he did a poo poo in Poch's wine room?

Come on Guido, it was 94 minutes until Foyth did anything productive offensively against West Ham and we were ripped apart down that flank all game, if that was Trippier you'd have been absolutely caning him.

How the fuck KWP is now behind Foyth for rb is anyone's guess. Maybe he did a poo poo in Poch's wine room?
I'm not talking about the west ham game, I'm talking about what he did against Ajax, he was great, the ONLY player to actually cross a ball that found one of our own players and he did that what 3 times? He dribbled past them on about 3 occasions too, god if Frodo can do that just once.

Foyth is NOT even an RB, which is why there was little from him against West Ham. Look I don't want to get drawn into semantics or even specifics about Foyth. The point I think is a valid one, when we are chasing the game and we bring on Llorente we go long and pump aimless balls into the box, and it doesn't work because our crossing is fucking shit and/or it's Llorente vs 6 oppo players and a 'keeper. Bringing on a Fullback when chasing a game ISN'T a measure of a backwards move. I'm going further and stating I would PREFER IT. I would also of liked for us to try Vertonghen at LB again, who is clearly our best crosser of the ball.

I'm not talking about the west ham game, I'm talking about what he did against Ajax, he was great, the ONLY player to actually cross a ball that found one of our own players and he did that what 3 times? He dribbled past them on about 3 occasions too, god if Frodo can do that just once.

Foyth is NOT even an RB, which is why there was little from him against West Ham. Look I don't want to get drawn into semantics or even specifics about Foyth. The point I think is a valid one, when we are chasing the game and we bring on Llorente we go long and pump aimless balls into the box, and it doesn't work because our crossing is fucking shit and/or it's Llorente vs 6 oppo players and a 'keeper. Bringing on a Fullback when chasing a game ISN'T a measure of a backwards move. I'm going further and stating I would PREFER IT. I would also of liked for us to try Vertonghen at LB again, who is clearly our best crosser of the ball.

I'm not arguing against having a FB on the bench or bringing one on, especially an attacking one, but I'd have liked at least one attacking player on there too.

Not sure anyone is suggesting Roles is challenging a first team player now.

But given injuries to Kane and Lamela and Llorente at 34 not being able to play weekend - mid week - weekend, that leaves a lot of playing time on Son Moura Dele and Eriksen and not too much on the bench. Versus Bournemouth I'd have Roles on the bench to bring on and rest an AM (perhaps Dele) if we are 2 goals up after say 60 minutes. His energy and relentless pressing might add to Spurs as well as his ability to be in the right place at right time.

Surely send an option ( although obviously I don't see him in training etc)
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves by talking about him playing at the weekend or now when it looks like he might have played his last game. I think he's done more than enough to be offered a contract, I'd love him to be given one but the vibe from Poch/McDermott appears to be negative (I've allowed myself to crowbar in an excuse for this that we've chosen to manage him this way) but for Bournemouth we will see Jansen, not Roles.

So against West Ham we have Llorente and Janssen on the bench and Ajax no one attacking player and you don't think a player like Roles could have offered us something we didn't have on that bench?

I disagree
No. What changes? Roles header crosses the line whilst Jansen doesn't? Has Roles been training with these players long enough for them to know each others runs? What new game-changing dynamic would he bring?

Take another look at Roles goals , come on , don’t tell me we can’t find him a bench space , when we found one for marsh . Don’t even remember Skipp having this amount of influence in any of his games before or after he got promoted

I love Poch but playing Roles and Parrott to avoid U23 relegation and then bringing on 2 defenders with minutes to go to try to get a goal in an ECL semi does not compute.

Seeing as Parrott wasn't even eligible that explains itself ... as for the CL game ... losing 0-1 at home is bad but not the end off the world ... 1-1 makes not all that much difference as we would still need to score one more than them or get a high scoring draw at their place either way ... however losing 0-2 at home makes it a whole different ball game, they score one at home we then need three not just the two we would need now ... and that's a massive difference ...

Liverpool must score 4, that becomes 5 if Barca get 1 ... now that's a huge ask

We can go through with just 2 goals even if they score 1 ... and just 1 goal if we survive extra time and win on penalties, would be typical Spurs to put us through that ....

Last edited:
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves by talking about him playing at the weekend or now when it looks like he might have played his last game. I think he's done more than enough to be offered a contract, I'd love him to be given one but the vibe from Poch/McDermott appears to be negative (I've allowed myself to crowbar in an excuse for this that we've chosen to manage him this way) but for Bournemouth we will see Jansen, not Roles.

Prefer to see both - Janssen starting and Roles on the bench, as I say he's currently our best attacking outlet in u23's so worth a punt if we get ahead both for relentless pressing and goals/assists.

Incidentally played alongside Janssen in 3 x u23 games in Jan/Feb where both got assists for each others goals so certainly knows enough to link with Janssen if he comes on to relieve tired legs of another AM so the AM performs better v Ajax.

Watching Ajax with several academy players starting including their captain being 19 I wish Pochettino emulates them.

We as Spurs fans like to marvel at how well we are doing compared to the riches other big English/European clubs do but we are a far richer club than Ajax to so if they can do it why can't we.

Watching Ajax with several academy players starting including their captain being 19 I wish Pochettino emulates them.

We as Spurs fans like to marvel at how well we are doing compared to the riches other big English/European clubs do but we are a far richer club than Ajax to so if they can do it why can't we.

Could have really helped in a season where we had a WC and no signings as well, and going forward with the financing of a stadium.

Because they have a better youth academy?

If it was that easy every fucking club in world football would do it and just spend the extra money on new training grounds and a stadium.

Our youth academy isn't even the best in the country. Probably not even top 5.

Add in to that the fact that the Eredivisie is a glorified pub league and younger players get mens level football at a young age which helps development and it's the perfect recipe for developing youth.

de Ligt is at the level he's at because he's been playing mens football since he was 16 years old. Not a single team in the top 6 would dare play a 16 year old at centre half, regardless of ability.

Foyth for example I would argue is a better footballer than de Ligt (Probably not a better defender though) - yet can't even get a game for us consistently at centre half, he's older and doesn't have an ounce of the same experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom