Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the take on our youth Goal keepers I saw this article recently
Alfie Whiteman
A 20 year old goal keeper could well be the 3rd choice keeper next season if Michael Vorm leaves this summer . Capped at various youth levels at England , he has been in the bench for spurs 3 times in the premier league , Crystal Palace , Brighton and Huddersfield .

Brandon Austin
Another inexperienced goalkeeper whose contract expires in the summer his numbers don’t paint him in the best light
A regular for the Under-23s, he has conceded 59 goals in 31 games and kept just 4 clean sheets
In games in the EFL Trophy, he conceded three against Oxford United in a 3-0 loss and has also seen four go past him in the Premier League 2 versus Swansea and Woolwich.

Jonathan De Bie
A Belgium Under-19 international who has played at numerous youth levels, De Bie regularly captains the Spurs Under-18 side

Think its down to Poch/GK coaches whether they think Whiteman can take 3rd GK spot next season. Problem imo is he's not played much for a few seasons in any games, maybe play a bit in next pre-season to try him out ? Maybe a loan if he's not nailed on as 3rd gk ?

Austin will probably leave, although I think he's a better gk than your stats suggest, we simply have a lot of gk's. He has been called up for E u19's and previously for US.

De Bie will then be the main u23 gk next season.

Not on your post is Freeman, same age as de Bie who has hardly played in 3 seasons - either leave or be no 2 u23 gk.

At u18 level there is Oluwayemi who seems to be the only 2nd year player not to have signed a pro contract yet - my guess is he's seen the competition ahead at u23. So I think he'll leave.

That will leave Kurlowicz (who's only played in a couple of u18 games) to fight for the u18 gk spot with 3 incoming Year 1 GK's, who include Oluwayemi's brother, Solberg (who has played a few games in Norway lower leagues, so difficult to evaluate) and Lo'Totula who seems to have been playing in many of Spurs u16 games.

So lots of GK's.

Premier League rules require all clubs to submit their retained and released lists to the Premier League by the third Saturday in May (18th May2019).

I'm surprised these have not been published as yet, although last year it happened on 8 June, - these will show for example the status of Jack Roles and others

Premier League rules require all clubs to submit their retained and released lists to the Premier League by the third Saturday in May (18th May2019).

I'm surprised these have not been published as yet, although last year it happened on 8 June, - these will show for example the status of Jack Roles and others
They've got to provide them by 8th June this year, I emailed the Premier League.

PL Handbook

Page 208 - Clubs to send info by 3rd Saturday in May and PL to publish by 2nd Saturday in June (ie June 8) so might be Thursday, Friday or Saturday this week (the first 2 dats being if they want to be early !)

So this was their email yesterday:

Thanks for your email Chris

Our Clubs have to submit this information by Saturday 8 June, and we will publish shortly after

Best regards

So this was their email yesterday:

Thanks for your email Chris

Our Clubs have to submit this information by Saturday 8 June, and we will publish shortly after

Best regards

Ha Ha. !

Right hand of PL doesn't know the rules set down by the left hand !

A bit like VA R the rules may be published but many referees and PL people seem not to fully understand them.

Rules are similar for Championship and other EFL clubs so many of those have submitted their lists and even published them at the same time. really don't know how PL Comms can get it so wrong.

Last edited:
Always liked Austin whenever Ive seen him. Bloody hard to tell with young goalies though?

U23 performances this season have often been pretty poor which is why we came within a match of relegation from the top league ( sent Wham down instead) and in turn a good deal of the performances were from what seems to me to be ill thought out teams - plus TBF we had too few decent attackers ( Reynolds and Bennett's left, Sashoua on loan, Harrison injured after first 6 games then on loan etc) which imo meant that the pressure was always on midfield and defence and ultimately gk.

So a lengthy way to repeat, I think Austin is a better gk than the stats suggest and the text he was being called up for E u19 and E u20 not so long ago tends to back that up.

But unless he can convince coaching staff he is better than Whiteman I'm not sure why he would stay at Spurs any longer.

Buzzing for him.

Well deserved

D8ZerA1WwAAPl5R.jpg

Will be sent on a season long loan apparently.

Last edited:
That really is great news, really hope Poch gets him involved pre-season, and if they do send him on loan they find him somewhere decent.

I've never quite figured out where his best position is, maybe as an 8 in a 433, maybe even as a false 9, a la Firminho ? but he's definitely got the gift of timing and composure in the finish.

That really is great news, really hope Poch gets him involved pre-season, and if they do send him on loan they find him somewhere decent.

I've never quite figured out where his best position is, maybe as an 8 in a 433, maybe even as a false 9, a la Firminho ? but he's definitely got the gift of timing and composure in the finish.

u23's have usually played 4231, and in that formation imo Roles is probably best as the left of the 3.

But I'd suggest he can play anywhere across the 3 and even as false 9, and I think he has played in each of these positions at least once this season. BTW formed a very good partnership with Jansen for 3 matches late January, seemed to thrive on playing with a better player beside him

Just to confuse you, in his youth he played as cb (scoring lots of goals) and fb, before moving forward to being a cm before moving forward to an AM 2/3 years ago.

In summary a good all round player, presses relentlessly off the ball, good passing and getting into right place at right time and can score right foot, left foot and header (last game of the season 'the perfect hattrick' with one of each), so quite a lot to work with but rather than a player who can only play in one position, one who can play several positions very well. Closest player to compare him with might be Dele of maybe 2 seasons ago.

Like so many players, difficult to guess where his ceiling is, but certainly PL looks very achievable

u23's have usually played 4231, and in that formation imo Roles is probably best as the left of the 3.

But I'd suggest he can play anywhere across the 3 and even as false 9, and I think he has played in each of these positions at least once this season. BTW formed a very good partnership with Jansen for 3 matches late January, seemed to thrive on playing with a better player beside him

Just to confuse you, in his youth he played as cb (scoring lots of goals) and fb, before moving forward to being a cm before moving forward to an AM 2/3 years ago.

In summary a good all round player, presses relentlessly off the ball, good passing and getting into right place at right time and can score right foot, left foot and header (last game of the season 'the perfect hattrick' with one of each), so quite a lot to work with but rather than a player who can only play in one position, one who can play several positions very well. Closest player to compare him with might be Dele of maybe 2 seasons ago.

Like so many players, difficult to guess where his ceiling is, but certainly PL looks very achievable

Yeah, maybe why I've never figured out where his best position is. The good work off the ball and his box prowess leads me into thinking he'd make a good False 9 - could maybe save us a few quid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom