Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had quite a few interesting chats on Twitter tonight about youth development at Spurs; the same that I tend to have quite regularly with people who don't take much of an interest in our young players until they hit the first team squad, the crux being that we should always trust Poch and young players get a chance when they deserve it and their attitude and quality are up to it. It's difficult to really challenge that as, yes, the straw man is quite right that we 'don't see players on the training field every day', and we come off as evangelical if we try to argue the toss. I guess the first thing to say is 'why ever have an opinion on team selection?' if that's the case.

The second is that if fans don't know the players we have at youth level it means they don't see where the little errors in decision-making here and there that our coaching team may (or may not, maybe I'm always wrong) be making creep in which can snowball over time; e.g. Marsh being ahead of Roles/others, e.g. people thinking Georgiou is one player worth a chance because they only know of him - the reality being that he's one of the less-fancied players amongst youth watchers. Tanganga is highly rated now after some pre-season action but we know that despite being adored by many of us at U18 level, he was below Eyoma in the pecking order and somehow, in Poch's eyes, also below Dinzeyi (who is not a good player) until the unavailability of others led to Tanganga finally getting a chance... now he's in demand and has maybe even added a zero to his price. I assume people would argue that he din't get a chance 'because his attitude clearly wasn't good enough' like they say with KWP that he 'wasn't big enough' (didn't stop him getting MOTM twice!).

Obviously Poch is a god but it doesn't mean he's perfect and we're talking about the 0.5% around the edges here. Anyway, thought it was worth a post as it is interesting and worthy of further debate.

Had quite a few interesting chats on Twitter tonight about youth development at Spurs; the same that I tend to have quite regularly with people who don't take much of an interest in our young players until they hit the first team squad, the crux being that we should always trust Poch and young players get a chance when they deserve it and their attitude and quality are up to it. It's difficult to really challenge that as, yes, the straw man is quite right that we 'don't see players on the training field every day', and we come off as evangelical if we try to argue the toss. I guess the first thing to say is 'why ever have an opinion on team selection?' if that's the case.

The second is that if fans don't know the players we have at youth level it means they don't see where the little errors in decision-making here and there that our coaching team may (or may not, maybe I'm always wrong) be making creep in which can snowball over time; e.g. Marsh being ahead of Roles/others, e.g. people thinking Georgiou is one player worth a chance because they only know of him - the reality being that he's one of the less-fancied players amongst youth watchers. Tanganga is highly rated now after some pre-season action but we know that despite being adored by many of us at U18 level, he was below Eyoma in the pecking order and somehow, in Poch's eyes, also below Dinzeyi (who is not a good player) until the unavailability of others led to Tanganga finally getting a chance... now he's in demand and has maybe even added a zero to his price. I assume people would argue that he din't get a chance 'because his attitude clearly wasn't good enough' like they say with KWP that he 'wasn't big enough' (didn't stop him getting MOTM twice!).

Obviously Poch is a god but it doesn't mean he's perfect and we're talking about the 0.5% around the edges here. Anyway, thought it was worth a post as it is interesting and worthy of further debate.

Ha !

Been there, done that.

Any conclusions - such as which players look good enough to both Poch and the great unwashed to make maybe 10 appearances for the first team this season, possibly based upon pre season.

Candidates including Parrott, Tanganga, White, Bowden and Eyoma (based upon pre-season 2018).

One of these or more than one player making that leap into the first team ?

Any other candidates to make that leap ?

What, they didn't answer those type of questions ?? Why not ? And why didn't you tie them down to answering ? :wall: :wall::rolleyes:

Ha !

Been there, done that.

Any conclusions - such as which players look good enough to both Poch and the great unwashed to make maybe 10 appearances for the first team this season, possibly based upon pre season.

Candidates including Parrott, Tanganga, White, Bowden and Eyoma (based upon pre-season 2018).

One of these or more than one player making that leap into the first team ?

Any other candidates to make that leap ?

What, they didn't answer those type of questions ?? Why not ? And why didn't you tie them down to answering ? :wall: :wall::rolleyes:

The frustrating thing about any of these discussions is that we have no real evidence to back up arguments. No data or information to use to support claims. We're reliant on knowledge, experience, hunches, and what we hear.

My initial point was that Nkoudou was a waste of money not just because of the £11m and many hundreds of thousands in wages, but because of the opportunity cost of a young player not getting his 592 minutes. And, in hindsight, the training opportunities he'd have had over Edwards, Shashoua, Roles and co.

The frustrating thing about any of these discussions is that we have no real evidence to back up arguments. No data or information to use to support claims. We're reliant on knowledge, experience, hunches, and what we hear.

My initial point was that Nkoudou was a waste of money not just because of the £11m and many hundreds of thousands in wages, but because of the opportunity cost of a young player not getting his 592 minutes. And, in hindsight, the training opportunities he'd have had over Edwards, Shashoua, Roles and co.

Sometimes these guys get a bit of squeeky bum when they are told that only Winks (and now possibly Skipp and KWP) have come through from youth in 5 years of Poch - despite circa 15 getting a debut (usually very short) in that time.

Oh and Onomah being played as a winger when he'd never played there in youth.

And you ask them to square that with Poch reputation of bringing through youth.

And ask them what they thought of 2018 and 2019 preseason youth players......some of them start to get a little unsure when you then ask them what N'Koudou brought to the squad that the youngsters hadn't......

Hopefully at least get them to start to think for themselves !

KPB is still there too, at Fiorentina I think...
Yup. Very wild career for him. His last two years have seen him win the German cup with Frankfurt, sign for Sassuolo, go on loan to Barcelona and win the La Liga with them and now he is at Fiorentina.

Low key a very good journeyman footballer.

ECpgzSZXsAEztFD

Loan for Tanganga coming up or just in the first team squad?

White seems to be back in Spurs youth teams (no bad thing) but no sign of Bowden, who was last seen training with the first team.

Does that mean Bowden might start to make a few sub appearances for first team this season - logical as he's a little older than White, but Bowden hardly featured in preseason whereas White did (albeit as LB).

Would be good as after Ndomebele, Winks and Skipp, I see Wanyama (injuries), Sissoko (about to be 31) and possibly Dier (versatile but Poch may have better CB's and RB's whilst no longer using a DM) moving on within the next 12 or maybe 24 months, so ideal to have another youngster coming through

No Parrott, so must still be injured (picked up a knock), surprised not to see Etete though ?

Tracey is definitely not a striker, Richards a winger/striker maybe needs match practice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom