Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Put together a little something to show off our scoring chances. Thought the team looked decent. Oakley-Booth was the best player for me, White got stronger as the game went on, Markanday had a solid second half..Parrott on the pitch and this is probably a win.

At the other end, 2001-born Armando Dobra for Ipswich looked outstanding.

We gave it a good go. Was really impressed with our striker, quick turn of pace with an eye for goal. Defensively we got turned over time and again down our left flank.

Our midfielders also seemed to want the safe sideways pass too often and our goal kicks were a little obvious and the subs were made too late, but shouldn't be too hard, it was a big test for them tonight

I also thought we were outmuscled a little bit by the Ipswich players, missed a sitter near the end but to be honest Ipswich were the better team in the second half.

Alfie Whitman Good made a couple of good saves.
Tariq Hinds Had a torrid first 45, really poor half from him, nothing good to say about him.
Brooklyn Lyons Poor, both him and Tariq our worst performers.
Timothy Eyoma Best Spurs player, immaculate, just one poor pass all half.
Jubril Okedina Real mixed bag, some nice touches here and thier when in possession but poor defending and look timid, not showing for the ball.
Harvey White Very good performance in the middle of the park, he’s up against players much bigger than him and he’s just got stuck in, all ways showing for it, on the ball he’s been tidy.
Boothe Tashan I think he’s been crap. Doesn’t look interested, he’s hiding, not making himself available and letting players run off him.
Armando Shashoua Good performance, he is struggling physically and losing a number of his personal battles but not intimidated.
Dilan Markanday Same as Shashoua.
Rodel Richards Really impressively hold up play, great first touch and turning on a sixpence. He’s giving both thier massive CB’s a hard game.
Shilow Tracy Not really got into the game, but is working hard. Nothing bad just hasn’t seen enough of the ball.
2nd half
Alfie Whitman - Great performance kept us in the game with some fine saves.
Tariq Hinds - Continued to gett absolutely battered in the second half as much as he did in the first, finally got punished for their first goal
Lyons-Foster - Same again, just got battered
(However, I will say this as a positive about Hinds and Lyons-Foster they never shied away despite being overrun and playing all-round shit, I quite like this trait, it's all too easy to chuck it in when things aren't going well for you and both stuck to their tasks).
Timothy Eyoma - Still very commanding and he had to be as he was the ONLY defender actually doing any defending. Ipswich pressed higher in the 2nd half and moved the ball far better than they did in the first half, which led to Eyoma being more industrial and last ditched in his defending (first half he was silky bringing out of defence so well with the ball at his feet).
Jubril Okedina - Thought he got worse in the 2nd half, not very impressed.
Harvey White - Same as in first half. I like this kid!
Oakley-Boothe - I think someone stuck a rocket up his arse at half time, showed a lot more effort, made some good runs and got his body positioned well when challenging for the ball. Not just in this game but I've seen him do it in other too, he constantly is looking for contact and goes to ground very easily, it's really annoying. I think it would serve his development better if he tried to play more, he can draw fouls when he's made it into a first-team.
Shashoua - Same as the first half, always showing for the ball and looking to play the ball through oppo. In 2nd half however, those chances were more limited. No here is a player that does stay on his feet and tries to play and he's giving away a lot in size and physicality in his 1v1's.
Dilan Markanday Same as Shashoua.
Rodel Richards Really impressively hold up play, great first touch and turning on a sixpence. He’s giving both their massive CB’s a hard game. The battle was still intense against their CB's, who probably got the better of him in the air but that was reversed when he had the ball played to his feet.
Shilow Tracy - A better 2nd half than his first, which wasn't bad. Like Richards when the ball was played to his feet he had the better of his opposite number, bit so often we chose to put a high ball to him where he lost out. He had a good effort saved by the keeper.

Sub should have equalized in 90th min when picked up the ball unmarked 6yrds out and the goal gaping at his mercy but he put it wide.

Ipswich deserved their win, first half was a more even contest, with Ipswich having the ball more but I think we put together the better chances (more silky and complex passage of plays), whilst they were ripping apart Hinds and Lyons-Foster they weren't very good at finishing anything off but 2nd half Ipswich upped their tempo, moved the ball about quickly and played some nice football causing us to hang on at times. We still managed to create a few opportunities and could have scored a couple.

+5k attendance in the end and I didn't hear the announcer say how many but I would guess just over a thousand Spurs?

First time at Portman Road in twenty years, felt small, but nice to only pay £3 parking right outside the stand.

Last edited:
Nice evening out, good support!

Coulda shoulda woulda .. but couldn’t find the second. Still.. enjoyed the game.

County level ref.. couldn’t control the time wasting from the keeper.

Was Hinds playing RB or LB ?
LB, and he looks uncomfortable there IMO. I'm worried about his development this season as a result. Hope Cirkin is back soon.

For me, BLF had a bit of a 'mare, he and Eyoma directly at fault for a goal each but he had two opportunities to clear his lines.

Hinds was up against their best player and had a tough match but he also did plenty of good on the ball.

Stand-out players IMO were White and Shashoua. Whiteman did okay too.

LB, and he looks uncomfortable there IMO. I'm worried about his development this season as a result. Hope Cirkin is back soon.

For me, BLF had a bit of a 'mare, he and Eyoma directly at fault for a goal each but he had two opportunities to clear his lines.

Hinds was up against their best player and had a tough match but he also did plenty of good on the ball.

Stand-out players IMO were White and Shashoua. Whiteman did okay too.

Thanks. I read Guido's remarks about him struggling, then saw the clip someone posted and it looked like he was playing left back, which would then explain maybe why he wasn't totally at ease.

Hinds was LB v Hamlet IIRC and White LB v City.
Any update on Jamie Reynolds? Is Cirkin injured?

Cirkin has been injured for a couple of weeks now.

Reynolds was released in the summer but was back as a triallist in pre-season. Haven't heard of him since, so guess he has not been re-taken on, but nothing certain

Thanks. I read Guido's remarks about him struggling, then saw the clip someone posted and it looked like he was playing left back, which would then explain maybe why he wasn't totally at ease.

Hinds is a RB who 'can' play LB, but he's definitely less comfortable in that position so hope he doesn't have to play there too much against decent opposition as it wont do him any good. Also he's probably better than the other RB options we have in the development squad - I'd suggest he's not too far away from where KWP was at Hinds current age so he could have potential if developed properly as RB.

I'm classing this as youth seeing as they could still in theory represent us at u23 level. The future looks very bright regardless of things that occur with Eriksen, Toby, Jan etc moving forward:

[FORMATION=4321,Whiteman,Walker-Peters,Foyth,Sanchez
,Sessegnon,Winks,Skipp,Ndombele,Dele,Lo Celso,Parrott][/FORMATION]

Di Bie, Tanganga, Eyoma, Cirkin, White, Robson, Roles, Markanday, Clarke, Bennett & Etete all with good reputations as well it seems. A solid 22 man squad made up of all u23 players at the club. I doubt many teams have this kind of youthful depth.

Next on the agenda for me is a really top class youth goalkeeper, which shouldn't be an issue as there is a clear path for the right player once Lloris hangs up his boots as Gazzaniga, Whiteman and Di Bie have their limitations.

I'm classing this as youth seeing as they could still in theory represent us at u23 level. The future looks very bright regardless of things that occur with Eriksen, Toby, Jan etc moving forward:

[FORMATION=4321,Whiteman,Walker-Peters,Foyth,Sanchez
,Sessegnon,Winks,Skipp,Ndombele,Dele,Lo Celso,Parrott][/FORMATION]

Di Bie, Tanganga, Eyoma, Cirkin, White, Robson, Roles, Markanday, Clarke, Bennett & Etete all with good reputations as well it seems. A solid 22 man squad made up of all u23 players at the club. I doubt many teams have this kind of youthful depth.

Next on the agenda for me is a really top class youth goalkeeper, which shouldn't be an issue as there is a clear path for the right player once Lloris hangs up his boots as Gazzaniga, Whiteman and Di Bie have their limitations.

Re the youth GK, the only way a young GK is going to come through at Spurs, whether bought in or emerging from Spurs youth, is to be played and get experience of mens football.....and given that I doubt if he will get many first team opportunities that means loans.

The only GK to get anywhere close recently was David Button who had numerous loans in the lower divisions until finally I thought he was a nailed on 3rd GK who might or might not progress. Sadly (and in my view mistakenly) in Poch's first season he sold Button for about £500k to retain 3 non home grown GK's (madness to take up so many non home grown players as GK's). After playing for a few teams including Fulhan, Button is now back in PL as back up GK at Brighton.

Staying with the theme of first team experience, one match I will be very interested in is v Colchester - an ideal match to blood some youngsters if Poch is so minded. Candidates include :

Troy Parrott - Several good cameos in pre-season, and a decent showing in Irish u21's a day or two ago. Realistically I dont see him starting but would like him to get a full 45 minute 2nd half to start his Spurs first team career
Japhet Tanganga - Played 4 x 45 minute matches in pre-season and seemed not to put a foot wrong. Physically mature, I wonder if Poch might actually give a start to the LCB, who might then become a viable rotation possibility for Vertonghen.
Harvey White - The DM had a good preseason covering at LB. Played in the mens game v Ipswich and again did well, this time in his DM position. Probably the 3rd most likely candidate.
Alfie Whiteman - Our 3rd GK but surprisingly saw no preseason time. If Poch is going to play Whiteman this season, other than because of injuries to Lloris and Gazzaniga, surely this would be the match ?

Due to injuries and loans, not sure I can see passed this list although TJ Eyoma (CB) might join it (injured so didnt appear in preseason 2019 but had good preseason 2018)

Otherwise first teamers such as Sessegnon and Skipp may well appear.

Re the youth GK, the only way a young GK is going to come through at Spurs, whether bought in or emerging from Spurs youth, is to be played and get experience of mens football.....and given that I doubt if he will get many first team opportunities that means loans.

The only GK to get anywhere close recently was David Button who had numerous loans in the lower divisions until finally I thought he was a nailed on 3rd GK who might or might not progress. Sadly (and in my view mistakenly) in Poch's first season he sold Button for about £500k to retain 3 non home grown GK's (madness to take up so many non home grown players as GK's). After playing for a few teams including Fulhan, Button is now back in PL as back up GK at Brighton.

Staying with the theme of first team experience, one match I will be very interested in is v Colchester - an ideal match to blood some youngsters if Poch is so minded. Candidates include :

Troy Parrott - Several good cameos in pre-season, and a decent showing in Irish u21's a day or two ago. Realistically I dont see him starting but would like him to get a full 45 minute 2nd half to start his Spurs first team career
Japhet Tanganga - Played 4 x 45 minute matches in pre-season and seemed not to put a foot wrong. Physically mature, I wonder if Poch might actually give a start to the LCB, who might then become a viable rotation possibility for Vertonghen.
Harvey White - The DM had a good preseason covering at LB. Played in the mens game v Ipswich and again did well, this time in his DM position. Probably the 3rd most likely candidate.
Alfie Whiteman - Our 3rd GK but surprisingly saw no preseason time. If Poch is going to play Whiteman this season, other than because of injuries to Lloris and Gazzaniga, surely this would be the match ?

Due to injuries and loans, not sure I can see passed this list although TJ Eyoma (CB) might join it (injured so didnt appear in preseason 2019 but had good preseason 2018)

Otherwise first teamers such as Sessegnon and Skipp may well appear.

I remember us being linked with that Shamrock Rovers GK Gavin Bazunu before Man City got him so I'm sure a top youth GK is something we are looking at. If we can get either a 3rd choice and or a 2nd choice GK coming through the homegrown route, expecially if it's through the academy that will help our numbers hugely for the future.

It’s a bit pointless having a youth player as 3rd gk. he is never going to get a game unless he is something extra ordinary, teams often have a 35 yr old as third choice. Someone who is happy to just pick up the money but can do a job if req. would you want to start a lge or Cup game with Whiteman

GEORGIOU
STERLING Season
Cyprus International Friday
DONCASTER (L1)
Came on as a sub 58.
Start. Injured on 45 and subbed.
MARSH (til Jan)ORIENT (L2)Unused sub
ROLES (til Jan)Cyprus International FridayUnused sub

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back