Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mukendi wasn’t there and is still injured. He isn’t even in our squad for the UEFA Youth League.

Thanks. Commentator referred to Mukendi on several occasions - but agreed he's not on the team list issued by Spurs. So no idea.

BTW, do you know anything about J'Neil Bennett injury and when he's likely to be back ? Same question re Dennis Cirkin.

Think those two are the two injured players who would could have changed the u19 Olympiacos match

Thanks. Commentator referred to Mukendi on several occasions - but agreed he's not on the team list issued by Spurs. So no idea.

BTW, do you know anything about J'Neil Bennett injury and when he's likely to be back ? Same question re Dennis Cirkin.

Think those two are the two injured players who would could have changed the u19 Olympiacos match
I know nothing on the Cirkin injury, unfortunately. I heard somewhere that Bennett had another 6 months out, but he has been saying on his social media accounts that he is ‘back soon’, so I don’t really know what to believe.

Also, I believe you thought the commentator was saying ‘Mukendi’, when he was in fact saying ‘Markanday’, as both do sound very similar.

Couple of quick notes:

I was at the Leyton vs Crewe match on Tuesday, Marsh had a really rough first half (lot of fans seemed pretty frustrated with him), but he was significantly better in the second half. He's similar to Skipp but much less polished. Crewe are a good League Two side but I was underwhelmed for sure.

Was also at the U23s game against Southampton last week as well. Harvey White as a LB is not great to look at, but when he moved into midfield for the second half he really turned up. I like him a lot. Shashoua was the standout for me, best player on the pitch by a good amount. Markanday was good as well, scored a goal and was pretty consistently threatening.

Couple of quick notes:

I was at the Leyton vs Crewe match on Tuesday, Marsh had a really rough first half (lot of fans seemed pretty frustrated with him), but he was significantly better in the second half. He's similar to Skipp but much less polished. Crewe are a good League Two side but I was underwhelmed for sure.

Was also at the U23s game against Southampton last week as well. Harvey White as a LB is not great to look at, but when he moved into midfield for the second half he really turned up. I like him a lot. Shashoua was the standout for me, best player on the pitch by a good amount. Markanday was good as well, scored a goal and was pretty consistently threatening.

Thanks for posting.

George Marsh is a decent (but probably limited) DM in terms of his defensive duties but general consensus amongst youth watchers is that he's nowhere as good as modern DM's need to be in passing the ball forward, creating chances etc - something that Skipp, White and Bowden (who all operate in similarish positions) are able to do. Despite Poch seeming to like him last season after a decent preseason 2018, I wouldn't expect to see him back in the first team squad with those 3 others coming through plus Shashusua..
rs coming through.

I was at Mk v Ipswich and saw Georgiou cameo of 30 mins.

Let’s just say it was forgettable. Didn’t get involved at all and at one point passed it straight out of play.

He really needs to do better and hopefully will in future.

Last edited:
I was at Mk v Ipswich and saw Georgiou cameo of 30 mins.

Let’s just say it was forgettable. Didn’t get involved at all and at one point passed it straight out of play.

He really needs to do better and hopefully will in future.
Thanks for that.
Let's not forget Poch has included him in our EPL squad. This is his 1st loan and he is playing for the top team in the division and is getting regular decent minutes.

I've liked Georgiou in the bits of Ipswich I've seen this season but I do think he's limited as a player. Probably a Championship player.

No Parrott or Tanganga, but they rarely play u21' football now as Poch doesn't like players training with the first team to play u23 football. I'd like to think both would be involved v Colchester.

On the negative side Harvey White is being shoe horned into LB position again - really cannot be good for the DM being played there continually. Hopefully Cirkin will be back from injury soon to take up LB duties

White is a player that would have been better on the bench for Colchester as his preseason performances showed.

Back to u23s and bad news is that Rodeo Richards (striker) is out injured, not sure that Tracey and Patterson ( winger,) will compensate for his goals. Dinzeyi starts as CB replacing captain Eyoma who drops to the bench.

Last edited:
U23s lost 4-0 with a 24 year old scoring a hat trick.

Several problems with the team sent out, one of which is that there were no natural goalscorers. In Rodeo Richards absence really surprised Kion Etete wasn't given a debut, a much more natural centre forward than pushing Shilow Tracey into that role with Patterson ( just back from injury) in support.

U23s lost 4-0 with a 24 year old scoring a hat trick.

Several problems with the team sent out, one of which is that there were no natural goalscorers. In Rodeo Richards absence really surprised Kion Etete wasn't given a debut, a much more natural centre forward than pushing Shilow Tracey into that role with Patterson ( just back from injury) in support.

The front 4 :
  • Dilan Markanday: Despite his best efforts the wide man never really got into the game. Markanday did track back excellently and he helped out Tariq Hinds defensively.
  • Tashan Oakley-Boothe: The CAM never really managed to get into the game despite his best efforts.
  • Shilow Tracey: The left winger struggled to get into the game and he didn’t get much service down the left flank. Tracey would later go onto play up top after Patterson was substituted during the second half.
  • Phoenix Patterson: The makeshift centre forward made some intelligent runs and he would often drop deep to receive the ball before bringing it forward. However, Patterson just didn’t get the service on the night.
Both Markanday and Patterson are of slight stature, can play one in a match but not both. Neither are regular goalscorers and neither are Tracey or Oakley-Boothe

Lyons-Foster is pretty slight build too, although technically good (Poch took him to preseason 2019 but didn't play him, possibly for that reason)….and I guess needs to have a physically dominant CB playing alongside him like Tanganga. Dinzeyi is a decent size but has only recently come back from injury and may not be up to speed.

Really don't think coaches putting out sides who are likely to lose games are helping develop players at all. And putting out a side with no natural goal scorers can only draw at best.

Here's our team news for tonight's cup tie here at Colchester...
Starting XI: Gazzaniga, Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Tanganga, Davies, Dier (c), Wanyama, Skipp, Dele, Lucas, Parrott.
Substitutes: Lloris, Foyth, Vertonghen, Sissoko, Eriksen, Lamela, Son.

Tanganga was confident and showed a fair degree of class tonight. Troy had a couple of chances but misplaced many passes. KWP the nearly man. Skipp was not impressive. Many misplaced passes.

Tanganga was confident and showed a fair degree of class tonight. Troy had a couple of chances but misplaced many passes. KWP the nearly man. Skipp was not impressive. Many misplaced passes.

So difficult to tell much about young players when the whole team doesn't play well, not sided by starting with 3 CMs and 2 DMs.

But Tanganga looked good albeit without too much pressure.

Spurs u23 play Brighton on Friday evening. Really hope there is a big shakeup by the coach Burnett after the ,4-0 defeat v Blackburn, signs genuine goal threat or two playing. Otherwise best we can hope for is a 0-0 draw. Ideally Rodeo Richards ( striker) is fit.

Just to complicate things, on Tuesday Spurs u19s play Bayern in the UEFA Youth League.

If possible we'd need some of the best u18s to play in both u23 match and then the u19 match.....

Really disappointed by the use of Skipp vs Colchester.

We'd not started him at any level for months (U18 game opening the stadium in March) then threw him alongside Wanyama and asked him to be the transition/creative player against a packed defence. It was absolutely not conducive to his development and all it did was harm his reputation amongst our wider fanbase.

Same with KWP really. Asked to be the main focus of the attack in the second half and just sling in cross after cross. Didn't get the best out of him at all.

Also I am smirking slightly at how Tanganga is another 'accidental' find. Only went on the pre-season tour because Eyoma was injured. Turns out yeah, he's pretty damn good.

In many ways, though, shining on tour was probably the worst thing for his future as it has meant he's in that awkward middle-ground of not playing at any level except 60-odd minutes in the League Cup, when he should be on-loan at a League One club for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom