Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW saw Georgiou came on as a sub for Ipswich so I'm going to try and grab that video. Hopefully have a quick write up/video for the morning

Had quite a few interesting chats on Twitter tonight about youth development at Spurs; the same that I tend to have quite regularly with people who don't take much of an interest in our young players until they hit the first team squad, the crux being that we should always trust Poch and young players get a chance when they deserve it and their attitude and quality are up to it. It's difficult to really challenge that as, yes, the straw man is quite right that we 'don't see players on the training field every day', and we come off as evangelical if we try to argue the toss. I guess the first thing to say is 'why ever have an opinion on team selection?' if that's the case.

The second is that if fans don't know the players we have at youth level it means they don't see where the little errors in decision-making here and there that our coaching team may (or may not, maybe I'm always wrong) be making creep in which can snowball over time; e.g. Marsh being ahead of Roles/others, e.g. people thinking Georgiou is one player worth a chance because they only know of him - the reality being that he's one of the less-fancied players amongst youth watchers. Tanganga is highly rated now after some pre-season action but we know that despite being adored by many of us at U18 level, he was below Eyoma in the pecking order and somehow, in Poch's eyes, also below Dinzeyi (who is not a good player) until the unavailability of others led to Tanganga finally getting a chance... now he's in demand and has maybe even added a zero to his price. I assume people would argue that he din't get a chance 'because his attitude clearly wasn't good enough' like they say with KWP that he 'wasn't big enough' (didn't stop him getting MOTM twice!).

Obviously Poch is a god but it doesn't mean he's perfect and we're talking about the 0.5% around the edges here. Anyway, thought it was worth a post as it is interesting and worthy of further debate.

Alfie Whitman Good made a couple of good saves.
Tariq Hinds Had a torrid first 45, really poor half from him, nothing good to say about him.
Brooklyn Lyons Poor, both him and Tariq our worst performers.
Timothy Eyoma Best Spurs player, immaculate, just one poor pass all half.
Jubril Okedina Real mixed bag, some nice touches here and thier when in possession but poor defending and look timid, not showing for the ball.
Harvey White Very good performance in the middle of the park, he’s up against players much bigger than him and he’s just got stuck in, all ways showing for it, on the ball he’s been tidy.
Boothe Tashan I think he’s been crap. Doesn’t look interested, he’s hiding, not making himself available and letting players run off him.
Armando Shashoua Good performance, he is struggling physically and losing a number of his personal battles but not intimidated.
Dilan Markanday Same as Shashoua.
Rodel Richards Really impressively hold up play, great first touch and turning on a sixpence. He’s giving both thier massive CB’s a hard game.
Shilow Tracy Not really got into the game, but is working hard. Nothing bad just hasn’t seen enough of the ball.

Alfie Whitman Good made a couple of good saves.
Tariq Hinds Had a torrid first 45, really poor half from him, nothing good to say about him.
Brooklyn Lyons Poor, both him and Tariq our worst performers.
Timothy Eyoma Best Spurs player, immaculate, just one poor pass all half.
Jubril Okedina Real mixed bag, some nice touches here and thier when in possession but poor defending and look timid, not showing for the ball.
Harvey White Very good performance in the middle of the park, he’s up against players much bigger than him and he’s just got stuck in, all ways showing for it, on the ball he’s been tidy.
Boothe Tashan I think he’s been crap. Doesn’t look interested, he’s hiding, not making himself available and letting players run off him.
Armando Shashoua Good performance, he is struggling physically and losing a number of his personal battles but not intimidated.
Rodel Richards Really impressively hold up play, great first touch and turning on a sixpence. He’s giving both thier massive CB’s a hard game.
Shilow Tracy Not really got into the game, but is working hard. Nothing bad just hasn’t seen enough of the ball.
2nd half
Alfie Whitman - Great performance kept us in the game with some fine saves.
Tariq Hinds - Continued to gett absolutely battered in the second half as much as he did in the first, finally got punished for their first goal
Lyons-Foster - Same again, just got battered
(However, I will say this as a positive about Hinds and Lyons-Foster they never shied away despite being overrun and playing all-round shit, I quite like this trait, it's all too easy to chuck it in when things aren't going well for you and both stuck to their tasks).
Timothy Eyoma - Still very commanding and he had to be as he was the ONLY defender actually doing any defending. Ipswich pressed higher in the 2nd half and moved the ball far better than they did in the first half, which led to Eyoma being more industrial and last ditched in his defending (first half he was silky bringing out of defence so well with the ball at his feet).
Jubril Okedina - Thought he got worse in the 2nd half, not very impressed.
Harvey White - Same as in first half. I like this kid!
Oakley-Boothe - I think someone stuck a rocket up his arse at half time, showed a lot more effort, made some good runs and got his body positioned well when challenging for the ball. Not just in this game but I've seen him do it in other too, he constantly is looking for contact and goes to ground very easily, it's really annoying. I think it would serve his development better if he tried to play more, he can draw fouls when he's made it into a first-team.
Shashoua - Same as the first half, always showing for the ball and looking to play the ball through oppo. In 2nd half however, those chances were more limited. No here is a player that does stay on his feet and tries to play and he's giving away a lot in size and physicality in his 1v1's.
Rodel Richards Really impressively hold up play, great first touch and turning on a sixpence. He’s giving both their massive CB’s a hard game. The battle was still intense against their CB's, who probably got the better of him in the air but that was reversed when he had the ball played to his feet.
Shilow Tracy - A better 2nd half than his first, which wasn't bad. Like Richards when the ball was played to his feet he had the better of his opposite number, bit so often we chose to put a high ball to him where he lost out. He had a good effort saved by the keeper.

Sub should have equalized in 90th min when picked up the ball unmarked 6yrds out and the goal gaping at his mercy but he put it wide.

Ipswich deserved their win, first half was a more even contest, with Ipswich having the ball more but I think we put together the better chances (more silky and complex passage of plays), whilst they were ripping apart Hinds and Lyons-Foster they weren't very good at finishing anything off but 2nd half Ipswich upped their tempo, moved the ball about quickly and played some nice football causing us to hang on at times. We still managed to create a few opportunities and could have scored a couple.

+5k attendance in the end and I didn't hear the announcer say how many but I would guess just over a thousand Spurs?

First time at Portman Road in twenty years, felt small, but nice to only pay £3 parking right outside the stand.

Last edited:
Was Hinds playing RB or LB ?
LB, and he looks uncomfortable there IMO. I'm worried about his development this season as a result. Hope Cirkin is back soon.

For me, BLF had a bit of a 'mare, he and Eyoma directly at fault for a goal each but he had two opportunities to clear his lines.

Hinds was up against their best player and had a tough match but he also did plenty of good on the ball.

Stand-out players IMO were White and Shashoua. Whiteman did okay too.

Couple of quick notes:

I was at the Leyton vs Crewe match on Tuesday, Marsh had a really rough first half (lot of fans seemed pretty frustrated with him), but he was significantly better in the second half. He's similar to Skipp but much less polished. Crewe are a good League Two side but I was underwhelmed for sure.

Was also at the U23s game against Southampton last week as well. Harvey White as a LB is not great to look at, but when he moved into midfield for the second half he really turned up. I like him a lot. Shashoua was the standout for me, best player on the pitch by a good amount. Markanday was good as well, scored a goal and was pretty consistently threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom