Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madueke is going to go for huuuuuge bucks after a few years in the PSV team. Supreme talent.

Sadly, I think Edwards will find his way at a bigger club after his successful Vitoria spell too.

Fucked up royally.

Let's hope Tangangas short success shows that the gap really isn't huge and the likes of Nkoudou was not just wasted wages but ruined a path for talented English talent.

Madueke is going to go for huuuuuge bucks after a few years in the PSV team. Supreme talent.

Sadly, I think Edwards will find his way at a bigger club after his successful Vitoria spell too.

Fucked up royally.

Let's hope Tangangas short success shows that the gap really isn't huge and the likes of Nkoudou was not just wasted wages but ruined a path for talented English talent.
Agreed.

Think we retain 50% of the economic rights of Edwards, so might get something back.

Madueke unfortunately left before getting a scholarship so I'd guess if we were lucky we got £100k as he went abroad.

Its a far cry from the £100m raised from sale of academy graduates over the 5 years up to the departure of say Bentaleb a year after Poch joined.

Hoping that Tanganga stays in first team squad, unfortunately I'd guess that maybe a third of the best youngsters coming through are CB's, so not too much room left for the others to slide into the squad

After that we might get a GK (Austin/Whiteman or de Bie), CM (Bowden and/or White), Cirkin (LB), Bennett and possibly Roles (winger/striker) and striker (Parrott) over the next 3 years - but usually only 25% -50% of these likely to come through unfortunately. That's the cost of the likes of Mandueke not joining Spurs.

Agreed.

Think we retain 50% of the economic rights of Edwards, so might get something back.

Madueke unfortunately left before getting a scholarship so I'd guess if we were lucky we got £100k as he went abroad.

Its a far cry from the £100m raised from sale of academy graduates over the 5 years up to the departure of say Bentaleb a year after Poch joined.

Hoping that Tanganga stays in first team squad, unfortunately I'd guess that maybe a third of the best youngsters coming through are CB's, so not too much room left for the others to slide into the squad

After that we might get a GK (Austin/Whiteman or de Bie), CM (Bowden and/or White), Cirkin (LB), Bennett and possibly Roles (winger/striker) and striker (Parrott) over the next 3 years - but usually only 25% -50% of these likely to come through unfortunately. That's the cost of the likes of Mandueke not joining Spurs.

It's not just a case of getting them in our squad. The £100m raised, was also down to them having successful loan spells. That's what's really cost us these last couple of years.

Perhaps Madueke would have stayed with us, if he'd seen those ahead of him being loaned out for a season or two and then joining up with our first team squad if they were deemed good enough as players who could immediately slot in to the first team.

The fact, that the players stagnated between 18 and 23 was probably his concern. And then when they are 23, of course they aren't going to get in to the squad, as they aren't good enough, if they've only played youth football (if at all) for 5 years.

It's not just a case of getting them in our squad. The £100m raised, was also down to them having successful loan spells. That's what's really cost us these last couple of years.

Perhaps Madueke would have stayed with us, if he'd seen those ahead of him being loaned out for a season or two and then joining up with our first team squad if they were deemed good enough as players who could immediately slot in to the first team.

The fact, that the players stagnated between 18 and 23 was probably his concern. And then when they are 23, of course they aren't going to get in to the squad, as they aren't good enough, if they've only played youth football (if at all) for 5 years.

Absolutely agreed 100%

Also worth bearing in mind that Spurs first team have benefited hugely from a number of the best prospects getting into the first team - the big one of course being Harry Kane, but Danny Rose (acquired aged 17 and played a year u18) was at one time verging on world class, Harry Winks fills a squad place well - as did Andros Townsend, Nabil Bentaleb, Tom Carroll et al) so the academy has given us £100m to spend on top class players (not far short of our record TW spend last summer) but a world class player (Harry Kane) and a number of others.

And that has all (bar the Harry's) been lost in the last few years, and will take a couple of years to rebuild - which is why I am keen for Mourhino to keep Tanganga in the squad and further develop Parrott and Skipp, plus next summer ensure half a dozen more youngsters are visible on pre season (and a couple more I think will make a real claim to the first team squad). That way we wont lose youngsters before the academy and we can start fulfilling the Academy purpose once again which I see as :

1. To bring top players through to the first team - expectation is one or more player per season, but that builds up over time, albeit some will move on after a few seasons as not being quite good enough.

2. To bring through other players who might spend time with Spurs first team and/or on loan at other clubs. These will ultimately be sold (as I say £!00m + raised before) with the proceeds re-invested in first team players and funding the academy

3. Not every academy player will play at the top levels of league football, but we hope that all will be suitably educated to be well rounded individuals and good citizens.

4. To use the academy to provide coaching and other youth services to the local community - that in turn can keep some youngsters off the streets and give them a purpose in life. All good corporate citizen stuff.

Incidentally to those who denigrate the quality of the squad players Spurs produce - look at ManU in their hey day under Fergie. The likes of John OShea was never a world class footballer but filled squad places for ManU, looked better alongside world class players and walked away at the end of their careers with PL champions medals etc. That's what Spurs can do too.

Friday:

QPR
v Sheffield Wednesday
FA Cup Fourth Round
20:00
BT Sport Extra 1

QPR might be renamed Spurs past present and future !

2 Present players (Luke Amos, Jack Clarke), 5 past Spurs players (including captain Grant Hall, Dominic Ball, Charlie Owens, Aramide Oteh, Dylan Duncan) and 1 possible future Spurs player Eberechi Eze.

Spurs U23s 3-0 Beijing Renhe
Spurs: Oluwayemi (Kurylowicz 79), Statham, Okedina, Hinds (Skinner 71), Dinzeyi, Lyons-Foster, Bennett, Thorpe, Mukendi (Etete 68), Patterson, R Clarke.

Forward Jeremie Mukendi marked his return to action after over a year out injured with a goal as our Development Squad beat Chinese League One side Beijing Renhe 3-0 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Hotspur Way today (Tuesday 21 January).

The 19-year-old has been on a long road to recovery after suffering a serious knee injury in an Under-18s game at Leicester on 1 December, 2018.

But it took him just five minutes to get on the scoresheet in his comeback match, latching onto Elliot Thorpe’s through ball and firing home as we provided Beijing Renhe with the opposition for the final match of their pre-season trip to England. Relegated from the Chinese Super League last year, they begin their 2020 League One campaign at the end of February.

Kion Etete and Rayan Clarke added their names to the scoresheet in the last few minutes to complete a useful afternoon’s work.

Playing as the central striker, Mukendi, Thorpe and J’Neil Bennett all went close to extending our lead following the former’s early opener as we controlled the first half on Wednesday lunchtime.

Renhe made it tough for us after the break and goalkeeper Josh Oluwayemi and his replacement Kacper Kurylowicz had to make vital interventions to keep us ahead. Renhe almost equalised from a late corner but we found a second goal in the 89th minute when Bennett crossed for Etete to plant home a stooping header.

And there was a touch of fortune about our third as Thorpe cut back for Phoenix Patterson on the edge of the box and his shot deflected in off the outstretched leg of Clarke, wrong-footing the goalkeeper in the second minute of added time.

Has this been posted:

Troy Parrott

Posted in his thread

If Parrott does get minutes here and there, preferably minimum 10/15 mins a time plus a few starts this season I think its ok for a 17 year old going on 18.

His time to get more starts is next season, but his real break through season more likely to be the season after when he will be 19 going on 20.

Posted in his thread

If Parrott does get minutes here and there, preferably minimum 10/15 mins a time plus a few starts this season I think its ok for a 17 year old going on 18.

His time to get more starts is next season, but his real break through season more likely to be the season after when he will be 19 going on 20.

I honestly think he can cope with a bit more than 10/15 minutes here and there. He seems incredibly well screwed down temperament wise, and we lack a proper 9. Never really bought the "not ready" or "have to be careful" arguments. Mentally, as long as the kid has the right temperament and he's looked after emotionally by the coaches etc, and it's made clear to him that he'll make mistakes and have bad games and that's OK because all players do etc, playing exceptional kids at 17/18 shouldn't be a huge deal. Look at Skipp, it was water off a ducks back. Sissoko still looks more shit scared and he's 30.

I fact, I've rarely seen a single kid (not just ours) go out onto a pitch and look completely out of his depth. At the very least what they lack in experienced composure they usually make up for with youthful desire and effort.

Edit
Look at Martinelli tonight.

Last edited:
I honestly think he can cope with a bit more than 10/15 minutes here and there. He seems incredibly well screwed down temperament wise, and we lack a proper 9. Never really bought the "not ready" or "have to be careful" arguments. Mentally, as long as the kid has the right temperament and he's looked after emotionally by the coaches etc, and it's made clear to him that he'll make mistakes and have bad games and that's OK because all players do etc, playing exceptional kids at 17/18 shouldn't be a huge deal. Look at Skipp, it was water off a ducks back. Sissoko still looks more shit scared and he's 30.

I fact, I've rarely seen a single kid (not just ours) go out onto a pitch and look completely out of his depth. At the very least what they lack in experienced composure they usually make up for with youthful desire and effort.

Edit
Look at Martinelli tonight.

Skipp born 2002, Parrott 2000 so what I'm saying is in effect give Parrott the minutes that Skipp got when slightly older when Poch first played him last season.

I'd certainly start him off at say 15 minutes and scale up from there - its partly mental things but also physical to adjust to playing first team football so I'd do it gradually. But probably maximum 6 starts in the 2nd half of the season. - just to put that into context Mason Greenwoood (ManU) who is 6 months older than Parrott made 4 appearances last season when he was Parrott's current age, and had used that to start to kick on this season. ,

And as another reference point, perhaps worth recalling that Kane made his PL debut at age 21, although obviously on loan at Orient starting when he was about 18 and about 3 months.

Last thing you want is for him to over tax his body at 17/18, as that has repercussions for years to come.

Secret I think is to just see how he progresses and don't push him too hard - although he looks well developed physically he's still got a lot of growing to do so not playing more than once a week for example.

He's certainly not a Kane replacement this season, and will make a contribution to the first team next season but think he'll only be a Kane backup the season after when he's 19/20.

Last edited:
What should happen to these guys?

CARTER-VICKERS CameronSELL
WALKER-PETERS KyleSELL
SKIPP OliverLOAN
Bowden, Jamie PatrickLOAN
Clarke, Rayan RW
De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan CB
Eyoma, Timothy Joel (43)LOAN
Georgiou, Anthony (42)LOAN?
Hinds, Tariq
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn
Markanday, Dilan
Mukendi, Jeremie CF/RB
Oakley-Boothe, TashanLOAN
Okedina, Jubril CB
Oluwayemi, Joshua GK
Patterson, Phoenix AM/W
Pochettino, Maurizio RW
Richards, Rodel KuraiLOAN
Statham, Maxwell CB
Sterling, KazaiahLOAN
Tainio, Maxi CAM/RB
Thorpe, Elliot CAM
Tracey, Shilow
Whiteman, Alfie (41)LOAN

Last edited:
What should happen to these guys?

CARTER-VICKERS CameronSELL
WALKER-PETERS KyleSELL
SKIPP OliverLOAN
Austin, BrandonLOAN
Bowden, Jamie PatrickLOAN
Clarke, Rayan RW
De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan CB
Eyoma, Timothy Joel (43)LOAN
Georgiou, Anthony (42)LOAN?
Hinds, Tariq
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn
Markanday, Dilan
Mukendi, Jeremie CF/RB
Oakley-Boothe, TashanLOAN
Okedina, Jubril CB
Oluwayemi, Joshua GK
Patterson, Phoenix AM/W
Pochettino, Maurizio RW
Richards, Rodel KuraiLOAN
Shashoua, Armando AM
Statham, Maxwell CB
Sterling, KazaiahLOAN
Tainio, Maxi CAM/RB
Thorpe, Elliot CAM
Tracey, Shilow
Whiteman, Alfie (41)LOAN

Strangely no loans announced yet.

Hope we hear something next week

Would quite like if we used CCV as part payment for an HG player we want - maybe Jarod Bowen as QPR wont sell Eze until summer

Same side as his older brother Sam went to last year, I imagine this means he is leaving and not coming back although its a loan. He is a fluent Spanish speaker (family lived in Latin America for a couple if years - think mother Venezuailian ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom