Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Checkatrade Trophy has been very good and I think there's probably a consensus that it's a good direction to go further in - competitive games for the underage against adult footballers. The problem is that fans of Football League clubs seem to absolutely hate it, and I have some sympathy there, especially because the PL has used its financial dominance to force things like the EPPP on them which have damaged their clubs to the benefit of the PL and national team. There's no trust and a lot of anger which is going to make things difficult. I expect the PL will just do the same again - try to get B Teams in with the carrot of more money and the huge stick of existing solidarity payments being withdrawn - but it won't be a smooth process at all.

I cannot see B teams being allowed - far too much resistance from clubs with a strong local presence and history even though they are financially far from secure (bury, Bolton et Al)

However I do think that "strategic" relationships whereby we loan say 4 youngsters to such clubs ( no loan fee just covering wages) would be s good compromise - maybe even offer to do a days training for all that clubs players weekly or similar as an added bonus to make it strategic relationshio - might be one way to go.

Perhaps creating mini local tournaments where the local division 1 or 2 clubs are not playing midweek with some sort of prize funded by Spurs might be another way - and not necessarily mutually exclusive to the strategic relationship.

But all these possible initiatives need thinking through and someone to do the necessary work to set them up - so in reality it will require a couple of extra people working with the academy/ u21s. Maybe a worthwhile project given our increasing wealth as a club.

First match of the tournament for Spurs U23 on Friday 12.30 v Stade Rennais

Not sure on squad yet, probably same as last couple of u21' freindlies

Eyoma first appearance in a squad since being injured in February, Etete first appearance in a Spurs squad since being signed

Last edited:

One of 3 GKs initially expected to be included in this seasons new Year 1 Academy squad. Guess that might be the reason why the announcement of this squad has been delayed

Last edited:
Just noticed that Watford's Ben Wilmot (small rumour we were interested when he was at Stevenage) has gone on loan to Swansea.
I suppose that means CCV won't be going back to Wales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom