Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cirkin & Bennett was with the U18s today

Thanks, I know

Both were doing well in u21s at end of last season but missed start of this season with injuries, but now back andafter a couple of u18 games and both played well in u19s in the week so was expecting them to both resume playing u21' as both are beyond u18s. Hence my comment

Loan updates :

CCV starts for Stoke but injured inside first 30 mins and subbed
Marsh starts at Orient but subbed after 83 mins
Amos comes off bench for last 30 mins for QPR - now trying to get back into starting side after coming back from injury
Clarke an unused sub for Leeds
Georgiou an unused sub for Ipswich
Sterling - is he still out injured, not in Sunderland squad

Roles didn't get into Cambridge match squad today - Cambridge now report Roles injury as being s slight niggle

Last edited:
Loan updates :

Amos comes off bench for last 30 mins for QPR - now trying to get back into starting side after coming back from injury

Roles didn't get into Cambridge match squad today - Cambridge now report Roles injury as being s slight niggle
thanks for these updates SI.
I have been toying with the idea of going along to the Abbey to have a look at Roles. I’ll have to keep an eye on fitness news before I decide I’m going to go.

Loan updates :

Found a Doncaster ( apologies Sterling loan to Sunderland was last season) update from mid October saying that Sterling"s deadleg on 7 September had resulted in an illness and Sterling now being treated back at Spurs. Doncaster expect him back there 'soon' but no return date atm.

Found a Doncaster ( apologies Sterling loan to Sunderland was last season) update from mid October saying that Sterling"s deadleg on 7 September had resulted in an illness and Sterling now being treated back at Spurs. Doncaster expect him back there 'soon' but no return date atm.
How does a dead leg result in an "illness"?

How does a dead leg result in an "illness"?

Not my expertise, but Doncaster said Doncaster Rovers: Latest on Kazaiah Sterling as Darren Moore reveals reason why striker has been sidelined for so long

But from the link, it appears there are grades of a dead leg, personally was only aware of what they call Grade 1, which usually goes in a couple of days.

Maybe this is what Doncaster meant, especially if the extent of the deadleg was underestimated and the treatment resulted in further problems ?

Grade 3 – Severe Contusion
Grade 3 contusions mean the casualty will be unlikely to be able to walk without the aid of crutches. They will be in severe pain and significant swelling will appear immediately. Contracting the muscle may produce a visible bulge or gap in the muscle. There is likely to be a significant loss of motion in the knee.
It is also important that the casualty is fully assessed for further underlying damage to the bone in the case of more significant injuries. This will involve a visit to the hospital or minor injuries clinic. And an X-ray, or other scans may be advised.
The casualty should not return to play until full range of motion and strength is regained. This may take several weeks, or even months in the case of severe contusions.
It is important to be patient in this process as with most injury recovery. Excessive stress on the injured muscle before it is fully healed can cause longer lasting damage.

But I could be entirely wrong !

I think Poch would extend his good will if he starts picking some young players. I think back to this time in 2014-15 when he dropped senior players to play young and hungry players who wanted to prove themselves. The difference is the players he needs to drop now are his players - there is probably a lot of loyalty and respect between them.

But needs must.

Skipp, Tanganga, Parrott. Find a way to get them on the bench at least. Play KWP more.

Of course I have to admit there is an irony in this because the first player I'd drop from the team right now is an academy player - Winks. But it wouldn't be a bad thing if Winks could get competition from a fellow academy graduate in Skipp.

I think Poch would extend his good will if he starts picking some young players. I think back to this time in 2014-15 when he dropped senior players to play young and hungry players who wanted to prove themselves. The difference is the players he needs to drop now are his players - there is probably a lot of loyalty and respect between them.

But needs must.

Skipp, Tanganga, Parrott. Find a way to get them on the bench at least. Play KWP more.

Of course I have to admit there is an irony in this because the first player I'd drop from the team right now is an academy player - Winks. But it wouldn't be a bad thing if Winks could get competition from a fellow academy graduate in Skipp.

Agree with much of this, and we certainly need to both shake up the squad and increase the number of home trained players to increase squad numbers which is constraining us atm.

Think our real problem is what Poch's CM's are supposed to be doing. I could suggest that Poch has moved towards a double pivot with both players equally responsible for defense and stack (as Mason and Bentaleb were at the start of Poch's reign) based upon a lack of rumours that Spurs are recruiting a DM. If so Winks is the only one fulfilling that role - Ndombele is proving to be excellent in attack but not doing much defensive work, Sissoko makes powerful runs forward but is woeful in defensive positioning, Dier is just back so not fair to comment but a year ago was a decent DM but meh in attack. So if its a double pivot, Winks is being hammered as currently he's the only one showing for defensive duties.

If Winks is being picked as a DM, then that's poor selection as Winks is a no 8 and not a no 6, although he's decent as one of a double pivot. And if Poch wants to play with a DM then Dier (or Skipp who is a decent DM but with more forward play than a traditional no 6) are his options...…..but they are not being picked !

So I'm confused as to what strategy the CM's are supposed to follow (and I suspect I'm not the only one) and without knowing that I cannot evaluate how well the players are performing.

Agree with much of this, and we certainly need to both shake up the squad and increase the number of home trained players to increase squad numbers which is constraining us atm.

Think our real problem is what Poch's CM's are supposed to be doing. I could suggest that Poch has moved towards a double pivot with both players equally responsible for defense and stack (as Mason and Bentaleb were at the start of Poch's reign) based upon a lack of rumours that Spurs are recruiting a DM. If so Winks is the only one fulfilling that role - Ndombele is proving to be excellent in attack but not doing much defensive work, Sissoko makes powerful runs forward but is woeful in defensive positioning, Dier is just back so not fair to comment but a year ago was a decent DM but meh in attack. So if its a double pivot, Winks is being hammered as currently he's the only one showing for defensive duties.

If Winks is being picked as a DM, then that's poor selection as Winks is a no 8 and not a no 6, although he's decent as one of a double pivot. And if Poch wants to play with a DM then Dier (or Skipp who is a decent DM but with more forward play than a traditional no 6) are his options...…..but they are not being picked !

So I'm confused as to what strategy the CM's are supposed to follow (and I suspect I'm not the only one) and without knowing that I cannot evaluate how well the players are performing.
I am still a bit puzzled why he wants so badly to play a two man midfield when most of the best teams in Europe play a three man midfield, AND it would really help cover our deficiencies if we played a three man midfield.

I agree with you that Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele are not defensive enough to be operating in a two man midfield and adding in Dier to a two man midfield is not the answer either because of his limitations. So why not play three of them? We could also add Lo Celso in as an option, so by the end of the year we see a midfield of...

Lo Celso-Dier-Ndombele

We can rotate Winks and Sissoko in, and rotate Skipp in as well.

Ultimately I want to see us getting to something like this by the end of the year...

Foyth-Sanchez-Jan-Sessegnon
---Lo Celso-Dier-Ndombele---
---------Son-Kane-Dele---------

We have plenty of rotation options as well and ideally Foyth will replace Jan if we buy a RB in January. That team just seems so much more balanced to me and more likely to win midfield battles.

I am still a bit puzzled why he wants so badly to play a two man midfield when most of the best teams in Europe play a three man midfield, AND it would really help cover our deficiencies if we played a three man midfield.

I agree with you that Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele are not defensive enough to be operating in a two man midfield and adding in Dier to a two man midfield is not the answer either because of his limitations. So why not play three of them? We could also add Lo Celso in as an option, so by the end of the year we see a midfield of...

Lo Celso-Dier-Ndombele

We can rotate Winks and Sissoko in, and rotate Skipp in as well.

Ultimately I want to see us getting to something like this by the end of the year...

Foyth-Sanchez-Jan-Sessegnon
---Lo Celso-Dier-Ndombele---
---------Son-Kane-Dele---------

We have plenty of rotation options as well and ideally Foyth will replace Jan if we buy a RB in January. That team just seems so much more balanced to me and more likely to win midfield battles.

Can't disagree with your thoughts, although if we went with 3 in CM in matches against top teams I'd want one of the 3 to be a DM - whether that's Dier or Skipp.

I can only think that Poch thinks we are better playing with 3 AMs plus a striker so as to overload the opposition defence and score more goals, which I think worked in the first day 3 seasons. Not sure what's changed but that seems not to have been working in the last season or this.

Maybe it's the CM2 not working but it seems to me that One of the AMs seems to have often been dropping back into CM thereby making 3 yet we are still under pressure there - and at the same time the AMs as a whole are not as prolific as they used to be (Son being the one still making the numbers s the exception,). Don't understand why that should be unless form has dropped (Eriksen ?)

With all the outfield players being fit, no excuse now for Poch not to sort out the CM roles

This is going to be a regular theme among the top clubs academy players.

Managers absolve themselves by saying they can't pick a player who doesn't want to commit to the club.

The players however will say they didn't commit because there was no pathway to the first team.

These new generation of players grew up seeing the likes of Josh McEachran have his career mishandled. These players now are so confident in their ability to one day play at this level that they are not desperate to stick around and waste years hoping for a chance. They'd rather drop down a level or two and earn their way back up.

Jack not involved in Cambridge's home win today. I guess that's injury related? Nothing immediately comes up from google searches though. I hope its not long term as he seems to be ingratiating himself with the club and fans. Would be a shame if he takes a while to get fit and drops out of the reckoning with Calderwood.

Jack not involved in Cambridge's home win today. I guess that's injury related? Nothing immediately comes up from google searches though. I hope its not long term as he seems to be ingratiating himself with the club and fans. Would be a shame if he takes a while to get fit and drops out of the reckoning with Calderwood.
Yes he’s injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom