Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
23!!

Same age as Lo Celso and Ndombele - incredible really isn't it.
Something I've felt for some years now, our yoot aren't even remotely as good as we think they are. If they were, they'd be pulling trees up on loan, yet most are bit-part players at teams like Peterborough. The better ones get to be bit-part players at teams like QPR.

Or else our U23 and younger teams would be challenging for titles, again, they're a long way from that.

Compare and contrast with someone like Tammy Abraham, who was clearly a class apart when out on loan. We see them have an OK game in a pre-season friedly and get carried away.

Something I've felt for some years now, our yoot aren't even remotely as good as we think they are. If they were, they'd be pulling trees up on loan, yet most are bit-part players at teams like Peterborough. The better ones get to be bit-part players at teams like QPR.

Or else our U23 and younger teams would be challenging for titles, again, they're a long way from that.

Compare and contrast with someone like Tammy Abraham, who was clearly a class apart when out on loan. We see them have an OK game in a pre-season friedly and get carried away.

The last 5 years or so we have seen some of our best youth leave Spurs because they could not see a route to the first team - Spurs u16 captain and E youth star Noni Mandueke (physically strong left sided AM) now 17 and just starting to make appearances for the PSV first team.

So in every year group instead of having say 4 potential candidates who might make it into the first team (of whom maybe only one in 4 might) we might now have only 2 in a year group.

Of course year groups vary enormously so that's a very generalised average. But the way that the likes of Kane and others came through to the first team was heavily through using loan system to the likes of Peterborough at age 17/18. That hasn't happened much to any decent youth player for a few years as a manager decided to keep them 'in house' for a years first team training and no youth games with only a few minutes first team football - the result of that has been that after that year of first team training the players have pretty consistently regressed. Classic one being Eyoma who looked very good on preseason 2018, has looked poorer in the first half of the season playing u21 football than he did 18 months ago, and hoping to get back to where he was now on loan at Lincoln. Poch rated him more highly than Tanganga (possibly incorrectly) but was a candidate for the first team but now a long way off the pace.

This January for the first time in years a number of youngsters went out on loan - hopefully to be repeated in the summer as that seems to be the best way to give the youngsters the necessary experience to break through into the first team. But it may take 3 or 4 years before enough top youngsters join Spurs again at a younger age to emerge at aged 18 in the same numbers as when Kane, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend et al came through - not all stayed but sales of the ones who left raised a very handy £100m whilst leaving us with Kane and Winks.

Tammy Abraham looked a great prospect at youth level, and has had good loans - and was fortunate that Lampard became manager and wanted him back at Chelsea at exactly the right time for him. But Chelsea have had a number of top youth prospects sent them out on loan to get to a good standard but ruined them in the past by not playing them.

Despite the last few years, we still do have a few in youth ranks who might join Tanganga - Mourhino has also identified Cirkin a physically well developed LB, solid in defence but good at getting up and down the flank, Parrott of course, with a number of other candidates who may come through.

But even with an academy performing at its peak, its difficult to get more than one or two a season coming through into the first team - and even some of those may move on after a year or two of being squad players. Its worth commenting that Chelsea's 8 or 10 youngsters coming through this season represent typically 2 players from the last 4 or 5 year intakes, simply a function of pre-Lampard the youngsters were 'stored' rather than used in the first team or sold.

Amos was a regular 90 min guy for QPR but he got injured and recently he has been on the bench.
He's about the best we have got out (apart from Clarke???)
Surprised Georgiou has not done better.
Our academy has earned the club about £100m in loans and transfers since 2012 and produced the 2 Harrys, Skipp and Tanganga.
Solid 7 out of 10 for me.

Nothing we didn't know, but yet another example for Bill Madrid Bill Madrid of the numbers of youngsters leaving Spurs due to no obvious way though to the first team.

I hope fully Tanganga @ 20 years (v Binks at 18) will stem the tide, but its far from certain.

Via his Instagram account:

binksy6_

I’d like to start by thanking @SpursOfficial coaching staff and everyone that has helped me develop as a player and more importantly a person. The last 12yrs have been brilliant with lots of ups and downs but has made me a stronger person. Tottenham will always have a place in my heart ❤️ Thank you.

Any word on if Etete is getting nearer having a look from the first team?

He's bloody 1 meter 96. Mou should love that.

6 goals all comps I think this season?

Any word on if Etete is getting nearer having a look from the first team?

He's bloody 1 meter 96. Mou should love that.

6 goals all comps I think this season?

All the best youngsters of say 18+ added to CL list B.
Walcott and Cirkin rumoured to have trained with first team squad yesterday.

Nothing from Spurs to say Etete close to first team - he's only had a few appearances in u21 football, so be a big jump up (not a joke on Etete's height !), and no rumours of him having trained with first team yet.

But he has started scoring and looking technically good with hold up play, passing etc after a (naturally) slow start after joining from Notts County. I would guess he's got a decent outside chance to get on the preseason tour based on form - only reason for him not going might be Parrott and whether 2 strikers could play enough.

Yeah, I know what you mean , If only we could produce kids as talented, sturdy, consistent and reliable as Aurier, Sissoko, Moura or Gedson, we could save ourselves a fortune...

How good do they have to be Bill?

Save ourselves a fortune by not buying squad players

And get to sell our youth trained squad players for £100m after a couple of years (whilst keeping the best of them - the next Kane or Winks or Tanganga).

So £100m earned rather than £100m spent.

Golly gosh that's £200m better off. Alchemy ?

But that's not good enough for the supporters.

Just look at the vitriol that Winks gets.

... and that in a situation where we are not exactly overloaded with HG senior players.

Be not mistaken though; for many, many football supporters the football is just a minor part of it compared to the entertainment industry punditry generally and the transfer circus specifically.

The 22-year-old is now getting his career back on track in the Championship and QPR director of football Les Ferdinand has been impressed by what he has seen from the youngster so far this campaign.

"I knew Luke from my time at Spurs," he told football.london in an exclusive interview. "Coming off the back of not playing much football last year, you know it's always going to be an in-and-out season.

"You're going to pick up a few little niggles, which he has done, but he's got himself into the team and shown a level of consistency.

"Unfortunately for us we changed 14 players in the summer, so doing that people are always going to be fighting to find that level of consistency we want as a club and he's probably not played as many games as he wanted to as he's been in and out of the side a little bit.

"He's added goals to his game, we know what he's capable of as he's a good midfield player, he gets up and down, he's got good energy and we're seeing it. He's been out of the side for the last couple of games but up until then we were seeing a level of consistency that we thought we would get and hoping to see this season."

Ferdinand believes Amos can offer something Spurs are desperately lacking if he can keep up his recent progression in the final third.

"He has been out of the eyesight and Jose's not been able to see him so far, obviously we send the information and there are video clips of him playing. It's a tough midfield to break into and it will be if I am being totally honest.

"He's shown his capabilities in the more games he's played and if he can add a few more goals, which he did in the early part of the season, then he will be offering the Tottenham midfield something they've not got at the minute and that's goals from midfield."

With Amos featuring in 18 games for the west London club before the start of January, it was a rather different story for Clarke at Leeds United.

The talented winger only made three appearances for the Championship high-flyers and Spurs decided to cancel his loan deal as he just wasn't getting the minutes on the pitch that he required.

Clarke has now joined Amos on loan at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium and he has already surpassed the number of games he played at Elland Road earlier in the season.
The York-born ace has been in and out of Mark Warburton's side so far but he did manage to impress Ferdinand in a recent reserve game.
"You can see that Jack is quality as we played against him last year when he was at Leeds," said Ferdinand.
"You knew the qualities that he was coming in with but, always when you bring players in in January, he hasn't played much first-team football this year so he's trying to find his feet.
"I watched him in the reserves the other day and we saw bits of what we are expecting in our first team and hopefully he'll be able to transfer that."
Clarke will return to Hotspur Way at the end of the campaign and it will be a very interesting summer for him given that Mourinho has replaced Mauricio Pochettino, the manager who brought him to the club last July, at the helm.

So could another loan spell be on the cards given his lack of football this term?
"It will be interesting. It's easy to speculate," added the ex-England international.
"He's a young boy but he has undoubtable talent and I think once he goes back they'll probably look at him through pre-season, see how he does and then make a judgement on whether it's another loan or he [Mourinho] may see a benefit to the Tottenham team now and the way he wants to play."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom