Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting choice if true - left Woolwich in November apparently as a result of a new Academy Director wanting to bring in his own people at Morrow's expense. Was also rumoured to be a candidate for the job at The FA that McDermott went to.

Another candidate rumoured to be Steve Hopcroft who left WBA as their head of academy scouting team today - WBA has had a great record of recruiting and developing young players over the last decade or so, Hopcroft joined there in 2004.
The tweet you quoted is gone. Can someone please fill me in on it.

A well made video. But I didn't really think that they touched on any ways that we could improve other than the obvious one of we needing to replace McDermott.
Agreed! They are running a series of these for each club, feel they just stuck with the Title and shoehorned this content into it.

Still leaves a big question on what our intentions will be, feels right timing for the Club to appoint a DoF across the entire Football side of things and then have that individual build out the pieces below across the academy and first team. As opposed to a DoF (in name at least) who doesn't have responsibility for all of the football and say just transfers and scouting for example.

Agreed! They are running a series of these for each club, feel they just stuck with the Title and shoehorned this content into it.

Still leaves a big question on what our intentions will be, feels right timing for the Club to appoint a DoF across the entire Football side of things and then have that individual build out the pieces below across the academy and first team. As opposed to a DoF (in name at least) who doesn't have responsibility for all of the football and say just transfers and scouting for example.
It really is a golden opportunity for us to restructure our entire sporting setup. There's too much smoke around the talk of a DOF for there not to be any "fire" so to speak.

Interesting times ahead.

It really is a golden opportunity for us to restructure our entire sporting setup. There's too much smoke around the talk of a DOF for there not to be any "fire" so to speak.

Interesting times ahead.
I've not seen any talk about one other than when Jose signed for us people looked at Campos because Jose spent a few days at Lille and appointed Sacramento.

There was a link a couple of weeks back with????? can't even remember who it was now as I'm not paying any attention to links to any incommings during the lockdown.

I've not seen any talk about one other than when Jose signed for us people looked at Campos because Jose spent a few days at Lille and appointed Sacramento.

There was a link a couple of weeks back with????? can't even remember who it was now as I'm not paying any attention to links to any incommings during the lockdown.
We were linked to Florian Maurice, who was head of player recruitment at Lyon and a very respected name in French football. But he's signed on to become Stade Rennais' new DOF. And Aulas is crying crocodile tears in the press about how he is being betrayed as per usual.

With McDermott leaving we have to revamp our sporting organisation. It's pretty obvious that Daniel cannot do 3 peoples work at the same time.

We were linked to Florian Maurice, who was head of player recruitment at Lyon and a very respected name in French football. But he's signed on to become Stade Rennais' new DOF. And Aulas is crying crocodile tears in the press about how he is being betrayed as per usual.

With McDermott leaving we have to revamp our sporting organisation. It's pretty obvious that Daniel cannot do 3 peoples work at the same time.
Absolutely need people in but DoF encompasses many different roles, very few carry the responsibility for the entire football operation, as some specialize in scouting, recruitment and player sales (as per Baldini).

I feel we are ripe for a DoF that owns everything football related and reports directly to Levy, and oversees the philosophy across first team and academy + scouting and recruitment (sales too). I think there should be further additions underneath this hire, like the head of the academy.

Absolutely need people in but DoF encompasses many different roles, very few carry the responsibility for the entire football operation, as some specialize in scouting, recruitment and player sales (as per Baldini).

I feel we are ripe for a DoF that owns everything football related and reports directly to Levy, and oversees the philosophy across first team and academy + scouting and recruitment (sales too). I think there should be further additions underneath this hire, like the head of the academy.
Agreed. Get a DOF in and allow him to build his staff as he sees fit. And we stake out an identity based on that.

Someone who knows what they are doing and who can act as a buffer between Levy and Mourinho.

Rangnick - who is looking for a fresh challenge and likes England (he went to university here) would be the ideal candidate of someone who could instils a top to bottom ethos, steer recruitment philosophy, playing philosophy (from academy up), who can also work within sustainable budgets. I know he's being lined up for Milan, but I reckon he'd jump at the chance to work in the PL and at a club and project like Spurs, with our infrastructure etc.

The spanner in the works is our 15m a year manager, who may not welcome someone with as much control as Rangnick would need to get things done.

Agreed. Get a DOF in and allow him to build his staff as he sees fit. And we stake out an identity based on that.

Someone who knows what they are doing and who can act as a buffer between Levy and Mourinho.
The only thing I care about is how we play football. Having a DoF that holds the key to the way we play will mean we don't do what we have just done and appointed a Manager whose philosophy is very different from the guy we've just fired. Build on what went before, not rip it up and start over again.

Own, nurture, protect and evolve a philosophy should be the sole responsibility of the DoF.

Rangnick - who is looking for a fresh challenge and likes England (he went to university here) would be the ideal candidate of someone who could instils a top to bottom ethos, steer recruitment philosophy, playing philosophy (from academy up), who can also work within sustainable budgets. I know he's being lined up for Milan, but I reckon he'd jump at the chance to work in the PL and at a club and project like Spurs, with our infrastructure etc.

The spanner in the works is our 15m a year manager, who may not welcome someone with as much control as Rangnick would need to get things done.
So important that hire would be if I were Levy and if Jose wasn't happy about it then I'd fire Jose.

That said Jose has with the exception of his time at Utd and now us (I think I'm right but not 100% sure) has always worked with a DoF or Sporting Director. I'm sure I've read somewhere that he like working within this structure??

So important that hire would be if I were Levy and if Jose wasn't happy about it then I'd fire Jose.

That said Jose has with the exception of his time at Utd and now us (I think I'm right but not 100% sure) has always worked with a DoF or Sporting Director. I'm sure I've read somewhere that he like working within this structure??
He has and does yeah. I have read the same things. There were some rumblings when we appointed him that he wanted one in so I assume that Levy is/was working on one until the entire world stopped.

Historically Levy is not averse to working with one either so he shouldn't be a roadblock in the process.

It's nearly always been the working model for him as it's standard everywhere in Europe.

But I don't think at this stage he'd welcome the type of DOF that would sit above him and take control of every aspect, including telling him when signing 34yo CB's from Italy isn't a viable idea.

I think his idea would be to bring in an ally, who would argue his case with Levy not against.

He has and does yeah. I have read the same things. There were some rumblings when we appointed him that he wanted one in so I assume that Levy is/was working on one until the entire world stopped.

Historically Levy is not averse to working with one either so he shouldn't be a roadblock in the process.
If anything getting in one now would be the absolute perfect timing for the club. A chance to get a lot of ducks in a row without the pressures of live games etc. A chance to build a team of people who might even be let go if at clubs who might go out of business or have a very bleak future.

Flip the coin over however and without key personnel right now it's us that are potentially looking very vulnerable, for example, the only way forward would be for us to develop 30% our academy products into the first team, very hard to do if you don't have someone in charge of the academy!

It's nearly always been the working model for him as it's standard everywhere in Europe.

But I don't think at this stage he'd welcome the type of DOF that would sit above him and take control of every aspect, including telling him when signing 34yo CB's from Italy isn't a viable idea.

I think his idea would be to bring in an ally, who would argue his case with Levy not against.
I'd bin him off then. I still think he's a short term appointment (an expensive interim manager), or I should rephrase that as I "hope" he's an interim manager.

Linfield legend Glenn Ferguson believes the top clubs in England and Scotland will resume their pursuit of the Blues' gifted youngsters Charlie Allen and Dale Taylor when the coronavirus crisis is over.

Before the global pandemic slammed the brakes on football, the two talented 16-year-olds were catching the eye of Britain's premier clubs.

Charlie has had trials at Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham while Chelsea and Rangers are also interested and his good pal Dale has caught the eye of Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers.

The highly-rated Linfield youngsters appear destined to move across the water sooner rather than later and Blues Academy director Ferguson is expecting the race for the boys' signatures to hot up again.

"When everything starts up again players will be back and the recruitment processes will be up and running. All the boys who were on the radar of clubs still will be," said Ferguson.

"Clubs will still need to recruit and strengthen so I don't think players like Charlie and Dale will have anything to worry about."

Ferguson added: “They are prepared more now ahead of a potential move because they have been training with the first team on a regular basis.

“The financial rewards are there... have a few good years and you could be made for life.”

Dale scored his first senior goal for the Blues in a 2-2 draw against Cliftonville in a County Antrim Shield clash in October.

Charlie has already made eight appearances for the first team, including seven this season.

Former Ballymena United boss Ferguson, who netted more than 550 goals in his amazing Irish League career, says the gifted duo are just two of the diamonds produced at Windsor Park hungry to sparkle at a higher level.

“It’s refreshing to see the kids coming through and we’ve had a few that have gone to England and Scotland while others have broken into the Linfield first team,” he added.

“In the last three years we’ve had another 11 who have gone across the water and are doing well such as Chris McKee, Ross McCausland, Lewis McKinnin who went to Rangers and Ben Wylie has done well at Celtic.

“We have lads at Fleetwood and Ipswich where they are holding their own and not come back which is a good sign.

“I’ve known the young players from my time here and watched them progress but the unfortunate thing for Linfield in terms of Dale and Charlie is that they will probably go across the water again.

“The other lads may be in the mould of Paul Smyth and Gavin Whyte in the sense of getting games for the first team and then anything can happen.

“Trai Hume is as good as any young player out there, he’s like a Rolls Royce and can play in many different positions. He is as hard as nails, can read the game well and Jake Corbett is a good attacking midfielder. Ruairi McConville, a centre-half, is another young teenager playing for the Swifts.”

Linfield manager David Healy is keeping a close eye on the progress of the young players and he accepts some of them may not be at Windsor Park for long.

Earlier in the season, he reflected on Charlie’s development: “He’s still young, developing and has a lot to learn, but I know, in time, Charlie won’t see his 17th or 18th birthday at Linfield.

“He will be elsewhere. Our plan is to guide him the best way for the next 12 months when he is here.

“He is still at school and hopefully when he does go he will make the right choices and have an incredible full-time career.”

Linfield Swifts boss David Dorrian, who celebrated a Steel & Sons Cup victory this season with the gifted teenagers, admits the next move for the duo is a massive call.

“You have to have a feel for a place that is right for you,” he said.

“Last season Jack Scott went to Wolves and he had his heart set on Birmingham. Something happened and Jack was disappointed but he ended up at Wolves and he’s doing exceptionally well, a teenager who is making great progress.

“The boys are still young and hungry, they have plenty of time to progress further.

“If they go to top clubs they might have better facilities and coaching but it will be harder to break through.

“At a lower league club you might have a better chance of playing.

“Both Charlie and Dale are physically strong boys. Trai and Jake would also have chances of making many first-team performances.

“If the boys don’t get a move across the water and thrive, we want them to be top Linfield players.

“Our product isn’t bad and young players know they don’t have to leave. That works for us.

“At Linfield we work hard on our training and coaching and anyone who comes through our system will improve ‑ you just have to look at Stephen Fallon to see that.”

Some very good players hopefully coming through from Northern Ireland.

I think he’d want one if he got the players in he wanted. That’s what has happened previously. It’s when clubs like Man Utd start bringing in players above his head he doesn’t really want that the problems start. It’s why it went tits up for him at Man Utd.

As for bringing a new man in to run things, surely there’s no better time to sort it out than now with no football being played.

Cambridge United today announced their retained list of players for next season.

Of the 12 players out of contract at the end of June nine are being released and the Club is in discussion with three on a new contract on revised terms.

Under Existing Contract
Callum Burton
Andrew Dallas
Harry Darling
Leon Davies
Thomas Dickens
Luke Hannant
Harvey Knibbs
Thomas Andrew Knowles
Kyle Knoyle
George Maris
Dimitar Mitov
Joe Neal
Lewis Simper
Benjamin Worman

New Contract Discussion

Greg Taylor
Harrison Dunk
Liam O'Neil

Released

Jabo Ibehre
Reggie Lambe
Samir Carruthers
George Taft
Paul Lewis
Dan Jones
Sam Bennett
Jordan Norville-Williams
Fin Iron

Loanees
Paul Mullin’s loan has expired and he has returned to his parent Club.

We are in discussion with the other loan players’ parent clubs about the terms of any potential loan extensions to the end of the 19/20 season (Victor Adeboyejo; Sam Smith; Jack Roles; Ben Coker)

Ian Mather, CEO, said: This is clearly a time of great uncertainty for football as well as every other part of society. We do not know whether or when the current season will complete but we thought it only right to give the playing squad clarity about their future at the Club at the earliest possible opportunity. We are doing this now - even though every player is under contract until the end of June and, possibly, could be still be available to play for Cambridge United up to the end of July - as we want everyone to have as much time as possible to plan for their future. We would like to place on record our thanks to each player who will be leaving Cambridge United this summer for their service and contribution to the Club.’

Good to see Cambridge are interested in keeping Roles if the season re-starts and goes into July.

On a non Spurs basis interesting to see Cambridge are letting go 9 of the players whose contracts have run out, and in discussions with the other three players on different terms. Almost certainly means that 3 will be offered lower wages. Think this will be replicated throughout all the lower leagues.

Only question is whether new players coming to PL will be offered lower wages that they would have been 12 months ago, and whether a few more players from club's academies will come into first team squads as the skill levels are proven to be as high or higher than from European academies, its been fewer opportunities holding them back - and they will start from a lower wage base. BTW I'm not suggesting large numbers of youth players, maybe 2 or 3 per club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom