Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you guys are not big fans, but right now I think someone like Marsh - someone who could just busy about biting into tackles, winning the ball and doing basic Dm type stuff with a bit of vim would go amiss - even as a temporary solution, especially if we were to play a 433 and have Ndombele and Lo Celso either side to play the football.

He's very similar to Tousart in terms of his skill set, and that's exactly what Ndombele needs, a water carrier to do the fetch and carrying next to him.
Winks and Skipp are both better than Marsh at this IMO.
Marsh is reckless (positionally and in the tackle) and lacks ability on the ball. Very basic player.

Looked to me Ndombele was playing just behind Lamela. Certainly much higher than white & sissoko.

Although I've said its a 433, no real surprise to find one of the 3 midfield players playing higher up the field than the other 2, certainly when that side is in possession , on the other side I'd expect probably Gedson to play further forward than the other 2.

Although I've said its a 433, no real surprise to find one of the 3 midfield players playing higher up the field than the other 2, certainly when that side is in possession , on the other side I'd expect probably Gedson to play further forward than the other 2.
From what I noticed Gedson was a bit more wide right a la how mourinho wanted to play sissoko.

Winks Skipp
Gedson Dele Bergwijn
Kane

Where the other team was more a

White Sissoko
Ndombele
Lucas Lamela Son

Interesting to see how mourinho will start against united.

I assumed Cirkin was injured?

Big fan of Harvey White though - think he could be really special with the right development and players around him. Such a good technique on him.

Can only assume this was a short practice match (say 45 mins in total) otherwise there would have been some subs - and Mouhino wanted Sessegnon to be given a run out as left back.

Am hoping to see Spurs show a couple more practice match, possibly longer and either rotating some players or using some subs which would mean the likes of Cirkin (and even one or to other youngsters - maybe Bowden or Etete -in Parrett's absence through injury - or Whiteman) plus I assume Tanganga.

Glad to see White back with first team squad - think he did well in last pre-season and only 19 in September lots of time to develop.

Roles time at League 2 Cambridge has come to an end as League 2 season was voided.

In the ordinary way a player returning from loan would not be eligible to play for Spurs for the remainder of the season - wonder if the rules have changed as the loanees season was voided. Would affect Roles and Marsh.

A reminder of Jack Roles abilities

Definitely has a future here.

Good with both feet. Great technique. Looks good defensively, good physically. Seem to have everything you'd want a squad player to have, especially one who's HG and Spurs.

Also shows the importance of loans.

No Gazzaniga, Tanganga, Suarez, Lo Celso or Cirkin

Vorm;
Aurier, Vertonghen, Foyth, Davies;
Skipp, Winks, Gedson;
Bergwijn, Kane, Dele.
v
Lloris;
Marsh, Alderweireld, Dier, Sessegnon;
White, Sissoko, Ndombele;
Lamela, Lucas, Son.
Sessegnon playing as LB, Marsh RB playing in maybe unexpected positions. Good to see Skipp and White playing.
- surprised we haven't heard that Bowden had also trained with first team squad, injured ?
Thanks. I'm no Marsh fan either but sometimes a good attitude and determination in a player can make him more useful then one with more skill. One of our other guys started off at Orient.

“I’ve really enjoyed my first year in senior football,” said the 21-year-old. “It took a little bit of adaptation to start off with, but I don’t feel like it took me long to settle in. For me, I’ve really learned this year how to adjust because quite a big element of the football in League Two is the physical part, so I’ve had to learn how to adapt my game to meet the demands of how physical it is.

“Having to play a lot of weeks on a Tuesday night and then another game on a Saturday is very demanding so you have to make sure you’re always recovering properly, so you know by the Saturday you’re 100 per cent ready to go again for another 90 minutes.

“It’s been good gaining experience from a lot of experienced players as well, top professionals who have played lots of games in the Football League. I’m really thankful to everyone at the club for everything they’ve done for me.”

A hard-working central midfielder by trade, George began the season in the holding role for Ross Embleton’s side, but switched to right-back mid-way through the campaign and had started Orient’s last 17 consecutive games in League Two before the outbreak of COVID-19 brought a halt to proceedings in the division. His prior experience of playing at full-back in our Academy sides and occasionally with our senior team in pre-season meant he was able to flourish wherever he was deployed.

“It’s been good for me to operate in different areas of the pitch,” said George, who made 29 appearances in all competitions for the O’s. “I played the first part of the season in midfield and then towards the end I played at right-back, which I feel was good for me to show some variety in my game. Again, I had to find a way to adapt my performances so that I could stay as a regular in the team. It’s been an invaluable experience for me.”

Atlético Baleares are top of their division but I can't seem to find if and when they will play again this season. Armando Shashoua may still be on loan there?

15 years old and playing u18s? Is that normal?

Does look like a physical beast though at that age and his potential is apparently very very big. Helps he's a Spurs fan.

Great news - looks more 18 or 19 not 15.

Worth recalling that we think we have in next seasons Academy Year 1 Jordan Hackett, who often captains E u16, and can play at both CB and also LB highly rated, and now we've got a contract with Alfie Dorrington who is a year younger, often captains E u15 plays at CB, and again very highly rated.

We have got a lot of great defenders coming through over the next few years, its possibly doing to be a problem getting them the experience to join in pre-season with the first team.

Above them in terms of age :

1. Japhet Tanganga, age 21
2. 'TJ' Timothy Eyoma, age 20 (WC u17 winner, did well in preseason 2019, but then hardly played for a year whilst training with first team under Poch, hasn't looked the same since)
3. Brooklyn Lyons-Foster, age 19. Rolls Royce versatile defender, on preseason 2019 without playing, maybe was too lightweight ?
4. Malachi Walcott, Age 18, Surprise call up for CL squad this season
5. Dennis Cirkin, Age 18. LB/CB, Currently training with first team
6. Dermi Lusala, Age 17. RB/CB/DM, Regular E youth player
7. Marques Muir, Age 17, CB, Regular E youth player

and same age as Alfie Dorrington is Brandon Bryan-Waugh (CB), another regular E youth player

There's a couple of others who could be on that list if they played in most other positions, but just think there's too much competition for them to get on the pre-season tours as a CB ? Think they will need to focus on being a FB or DM or other position to have a chance of making it at Spurs.

Last edited:
Atlético Baleares are top of their division but I can't seem to find if and when they will play again this season. Armando Shashoua may still be on loan there?

A month ago Spanish FA announced that the regional leagues had come to an end but the playoffs will still happen as single matches on a neutral ground, so Atlético Baleares should be one of the 4 teams involved in the Group Winners playoffs. The dates were provisionally set as 18-26 June.

However this suggests dates now pushed back to 18-25 July ! https://cdn1.sefutbol.com/sites/default/files/pdf/circulares/circular_68.pdf

I cant see anything is confirmed and the entire AB squad was furloughed, so everything might still be up in the air ?

Armando was on loan for the season there, comes to the end of his Spurs contract in June and there are no English u23 games left this season, so if AB plays I'd guess he will play in the playoffs maybe on a temporary contract with AB ?

Last edited:
Winks and Skipp are both better than Marsh at this IMO.
Marsh is reckless (positionally and in the tackle) and lacks ability on the ball. Very basic player.

Skipp I like a lot. I think it's a crime he's not been given more game time, whilst we watch donkey's like Sissoko and Dier trundle around our midfield.

Winks is a likeable chap, lots of good intentions and on his day a decent little footballer who can do various things quite well, but doesn't really do anything brilliantly - especially without the ball.

As one dimensional as someone like Marsh is, I think he's better defensively, reads danger and reacts to it better, and is more dynamically tenacious - better at winning the ball than Winks - and I think that is a skill set we need much more to sit between Ndombele/Lo Celso than Winks'.

Be great if someone like Skipp, who is tenacious and dynamic, but can also play some decent football, could do the job, I'd love to see him given a run of games in a 433, but failing that, I'd not mind seeing Marsh sit between two quality 8's just doing simple hunting and gathering and laying it off simply.

Last edited:
Youth watchers - how good is Lusala?

Very promising at the moment, remembering he's 17 and sometimes things change as they get older (as I'm sure you know). Plays RB/CB/DM atm.

I'd suggest he, Max Robson (AM) and Nile John (CM/AM) have probably looked as the best 3 in Academy Year 1 so far, worth recalling though that some of this year group haven't played that much as u18's dominated by Academy Year 2 players due to size of u23 squad.

Dermi Lusala has looked very good, even verging on excellent, when played, (mainly as RB) think he made about 20 appearances for u18's vast ,majority as starts so he was one of the players who made the most appearances from Academy Year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom