Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great shame - but Scott Parker his immediate predessor went to become PL Fulham's manager and immediately before that our u18 head coach went to be ManU's assistant first team coaxh. It seems our youth coach choices are highly rated.

I thought Matt Taylor was doing very well with u18's and some of the players he worked with have already made first team debuts - Harvey White, Malachi Fagan-Walcott, Nile John, Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett - and with the likes of Dennis Cirkin and Jamie Bowden playing in pre-seasons and being on first team benches.

Is that the Matt Taylor that iirc played as a left back/midfielder for Portsmouth?

Been reading up on Dane Scarlett and seeing his stats etc. This young man is a natural goal scorer. Check him out on Youtube.
His biggest challenge is his desire to already be there is excessively bright right now, IMO. Hope we see a slightly more relaxed version of him in the next couple of years and it doesn't turn to anger.

With 13 Academy Year 2 players retained and promoted into Development Squad, think that makes a Development squad of around 33 players (including Whiteman and Austin) next season - so we will probably need at least a dozen loans to give the older players experience of playing in 'mens football'

With 13 Academy Year 2 players retained and promoted into Development Squad, think that makes a Development squad of around 33 players (including Whiteman and Austin) next season - so we will probably need at least a dozen loans to give the older players experience of playing in 'mens football'
You got a list by position handy somewhere?

Is it unusual to have that many goalkeepers? Seems like a lot competing for very little playing time.

In a word yes.

But Whiteman will either continue as 3rd GK for first team or go out on loan, Austin will continue out on loan (and both seem decent prospects as a longer term Spurs 2nd or 3rd GK), leaving 4 GK's of whom one may go out on loan, so its not as bad as it first looks.

With the 12 defenders, its possible either Eyoma or Lavenier stays as back up RB but otherwise half of them need to be out on loan leaving maybe 6 to play in u23's, and similar with other positions

Think it's no coincidence we are seeing a flow through of higher class young strikers, given Kanes journey with us.

I always think back to 1990 with Gazza, as a young lifeguard noticed all the young kids wanted to be Gazza and Spurs all of a sudden... Be lovely to get another from this set for the first team and another for a mid-lower prem club to keep the cycle going.

Its very competitive now to recruit the best kids - aside from obvious rivals such as Chelsea (who offer huge monies to youngsters to sign up) and Woolwich who recruit London talent, ManCity also actively recruit a number in London (eg Jadon Sancho). So I'm delighted that Spurs seem to have managed to get a conveor belt of seemingly good strikers coming through.

Not all will make it of course either as professional players, or even tougher at the level Spurs players need to be, but good to see we are giving ourselves a chance of a Club Trained striker or two (or more).

Equally true for all positions of course - and we seem to be doing reasonably well in all positions other than Attacking Midfield where we seem to be light on numbers of quality players in that position.

Its very competitive now to recruit the best kids - aside from obvious rivals such as Chelsea (who offer huge monies to youngsters to sign up) and Woolwich who recruit London talent, ManCity also actively recruit a number in London (eg Jadon Sancho). So I'm delighted that Spurs seem to have managed to get a conveor belt of seemingly good strikers coming through.

Not all will make it of course either as professional players, or even tougher at the level Spurs players need to be, but good to see we are giving ourselves a chance of a Club Trained striker or two (or more).

Equally true for all positions of course - and we seem to be doing reasonably well in all positions other than Attacking Midfield where we seem to be light on numbers of quality players in that position.
That is the area we should allocate £20M of Kanes fee to then, go out and get the two best English U21 we can pull from clubs outside Top8-10. Ideally 17year olds to make full HG if they make it. As you say Sancho was Watford, Sterling...

If not Chelsea (and wages relative to teetering talent) I'd be more than up for CHO.

That is the area we should allocate £20M of Kanes fee to then, go out and get the two best English U21 we can pull from clubs outside Top8-10. Ideally 17year olds to make full HG if they make it. As you say Sancho was Watford, Sterling...

If not Chelsea (and wages relative to teetering talent) I'd be more than up for CHO.

Agree with the theory

Unforunately ManCity and Chelsea take many/most of top kids each year at much younger ages, usually including paying them and scouts the earth.

So the number of top 17/18/19 year olds at smaller clubs and available really isn't that many. Of course the odd exception, such as Ivan Toney who amazingly was let go by Newcastle (they mistakenly thought they had better) and ended up at Peterborough (Barry Fry spotted him of course) who then sold him to Brentford (sadly David Pleat's recommendation wasn't accepted)...... and now top scorer in Championsip and much in demand albeit aged 25.

But if you look at the squads of England youth, not too many at smaller clubs.

Spurs do ok at youth recruitment, but I agree it could be turned up a notch.

But huge problem over last 6 years has been the lack of development between age of 18 and 21 due to very few loans to gain experience. So we've had good prospects up to age 18 who leave later as they don't have the experience to compete for a first team place at Spurs - if loans had been given we would probably have half a dozen club trained squad players meaning we wouldn't have had to buy them

The one good thing Mourhino did at Spurs was to allow the re-introduction of loans last season...... which hopefully will benefit us more next season, after giving us a match ready Skipp next season.

Looks to be growing rapidly in the face, carrying a bit of joy. Good signs.

He's a first team squad player next year, really believe he's got it already to explode (especially if Kane goes and he feels a sniff of being able to grab a place).

Looks to be growing rapidly in the face, carrying a bit of joy. Good signs.

He's a first team squad player next year, really believe he's got it already to explode (especially if Kane goes and he feels a sniff of being able to grab a place).

Agreed but aged 17, I think he needs to be brought in gently as his body is probably still developing and my guess is that it wouldn't stand up to too many 90 minute matches regularly once a week.

As a reference point I can't think of too many 17 year olds who have played regularly in PL at that age - probably a few more in Championship ( Harvey Elliott at Blackburn in Championship being the exception to prove the point).

But he's an exciting player with great potential.

like this, and you’re right. Owen n Rooney, both burnt out by late 20s.

Thinking more in terms of regular 20-30mins in Europe, but if he explodes it’s gonna be hard to keep his patience, Rashford was 17 at break through, but completely agree ideally his major growth phases are over before he starts bedding into 90 mins here and there.
If we were lucky enough to have an Owen or Rooney equivalent, I'd really hope we'd look after them better and enable them to have a longer and less injury-stricken career.

Rooney was almost a freak of nature. Could have been England's greatest ever player with a bit more luck, a bit better care.

Owen - incredible pace until the injuries.

like this, and you’re right. Owen n Rooney, both burnt out by late 20s.

Thinking more in terms of regular 20-30mins in Europe, but if he explodes it’s gonna be hard to keep his patience, Rashford was 17 at break through, but completely agree ideally his major growth phases are over before he starts bedding into 90 mins here and there.
Robbie Keane and joe Cole both as good as done after playing regularly from 17

Samuel Amo-Ameyaw, Temidire Emmanuel Okuwa and Jayden Meghoma called up for an England u15 training camp.

Whilst Luca Gunter and Rio Kyerematen called up for E u16's
Thought we had 4/5 E/U16’s, injuries or have they moved up? Or my memory fails me.

Back
Top Bottom