Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cost of not allowing any players to develop out of the academy (other than Winks) in 6 years and wondering why the top talents like Spurs u16 captain choose to go to a different club rather than join Spurs u18's

You do realise there are 54 players currently aged 15 and over in the academy, do you seriously expect all of them to join the first eleven.

Spurs have developed one player in six years? There are currently 31 ex Spurs academy players who have come through since 2010 playing professional football - you clearly don't follow our youth players very closely.

as for making it as Spurs - Rose, (never started for Leeds) Kane, Winks, CCV, Georgiou, Sterling, Skipp, Marsh, Eyoma, Tanganga, Parrot, Whiteman, Austin, Cirkin, White all still on our books .... pretty sure more than one of those have played for us ......

He's getting to be rather good.

Cost of not allowing any players to develop out of the academy (other than Winks) in 6 years and wondering why the top talents like Spurs u16 captain choose to go to a different club rather than join Spurs u18's
not a lot to show for 6 years of one of the best Training Grounds anywhere, and some super talent in that time. That's getting on for the sort of stats we were putting together in the really bad old days. At one stage it was about one good first teamer every 10 years.

You do realise there are 54 players currently aged 15 and over in the academy, do you seriously expect all of them to join the first eleven.

Spurs have developed one player in six years? There are currently 31 ex Spurs academy players who have come through since 2010 playing professional football - you clearly don't follow our youth players very closely.

as for making it as Spurs - Rose, (never started for Leeds) Kane, Winks, CCV, Georgiou, Sterling, Skipp, Marsh, Eyoma, Tanganga, Parrot, Whiteman, Austin, Cirkin, White all still on our books .... pretty sure more than one of those have played for us ......

It wuld not be unreasonable to expect say 2 new academy players a year to start to play in Spurs first team (including pre-season) and at least one to join first team squad to play first team football on a more regular basis. Reason being that each year Spurs have 2 - 4 really good youngsters in each year group.

And over a 6 year period I would have expected to find maybe 4 or 5 players to have joined the first team - in stead of buying jorneymen footballers for Spurs first team squad.

Rose had started to play at Spurs pre-Poch, CCV has never played a PL match nor has Georgiou, Marsh, Eyoma - Sterling played a couple of minutes, - Whiteman and Austin have not played for Spurs first team. Some of them because they are not good enough, others have been good enough (as judged by England youth coaches etc)

The whole issue of the Poch era is (and I repeat) only ONE player, Winks, had significant time and is currently part of the first team squad.

There are probably a dozen or more who had a few minutes in one or two games - and that was it. Clearly Poch never had any intention of bringing the players through.

Skipp played as Spurs were short of players - but last season hardly got a look in under Poch nor did he get a chance to go on loan to play the minutes every 19 year needs - same with Parrott.

Despite his reputation, Mourhino has probably done more for Spurs academy players in the year at Spurs than Poch did in his 6 years,

The issue which you fail to comprehend is Poch allowed youngsters to train with the first team squad and where he decided they were not ready for first team minutes, did NOT allow them the opportunity to go on loan to get the experience he clearly thought the need to play at Spurs.

And that has the consequence that now Spurs enter the current season with 2 Club trained players in their squad - Kane and Winks plus the bought back Bale, with Rose likely to leave - meaning Spurs cannot get to have a 25 man squad for UEFA, unless one of the 21 year old inexperienced GK's (no loans under Poch) is 3rd GK.
Also puts pressure on Spurs to buy HG players from other clubs to get our squad numbers up (Dele, Doherty, Hart, Sessegnon currently)

Had Spurs been seen to be bringing the academy players through better we would have a better squad (saving money on squad players to buy on better layers) - and not had the ridiculous situation where Fulham fans think that Onomah (given away last summer after being played as a RM by Poch for token minutes in many matches and never as CM where he plaed in Spurs youth and Fulham) is largely responsible for getting them back in PL or players like Spurs u16 captain Mandueke refusing Spurs Academy scholarship offer as he thinks there is no route to the Spurs first team (and now a first team player at PSV scoring goals and making assists having taken Bergwijn's place - at age 18) or Binks leaving to go to Montreal and now Italy for the same reason.

I thank Poch for the coaching he did for the first team and getting us to CL final (and Cl in 4 successive seasons) but not for his utterly incompetent handling of most of the academy players during his tenure or his over training/playing many first team players which may well have caused many of them to burn out too early.

BTW, you didn't mention the number of Spurs academy players who were fringe players when Poch joined - Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend, Carroll, Veljkovic, Rose (7), the first 4 of whom were very much part of Poch's first team in his first season.......and the numbers when he left.

Last edited:
It wuld not be unreasonable to expect say 2 new academy players a year to start to play in Spurs first team (including pre-season) and at least one to join first team squad to play first team football on a more regular basis. Reason being that each year Spurs have 2 - 4 really good youngsters in each year group.

And over a 6 year period I would have expected to find maybe 4 or 5 players to have joined the first team - in stead of buying jorneymen footballers for Spurs first team squad.

Rose had started to play at Spurs pre-Poch, CCV has never played a PL match nor has Georgiou, Marsh, Eyoma - Sterling played a couple of minutes, - Whiteman and Austin have not played for Spurs first team. Some of them because they are not good enough, others have been good enough (as judged by England youth coaches etc)

The whole issue of the Poch era is (and I repeat) only ONE player, Winks, had significant time and is currently part of the first team squad.

There are probably a dozen or more who had a few minutes in one or two games - and that was it. Clearly Poch never had any intention of bringing the players through.

Skipp played as Spurs were short of players - but last season hardly got a look in under Poch nor did he get a chance to go on loan to play the minutes every 19 year needs - same with Parrott.

Despite his reputation, Mourhino has probably done more for Spurs academy players in the year at Spurs than Poch did in his 6 years,

The issue which you fail to comprehend is Poch allowed youngsters to train with the first team squad and where he decided they were not ready for first team minutes, did NOT allow them the opportunity to go on loan to get the experience he clearly thought the need to play at Spurs.

And that has the consequence that now Spurs enter the current season with 2 Club trained players in their squad - Kane and Winks plus the bought back Bale, with Rose likely to leave - meaning Spurs cannot get to have a 25 man squad for UEFA, unless one of the 21 year old inexperienced GK's (no loans under Poch) is 3rd GK.
Also puts pressure on Spurs to buy HG players from other clubs to get our squad numbers up (Dele, Doherty, Hart, Sessegnon currently)

Had Spurs been seen to be bringing the academy players through better we would have a better squad (saving money on squad players to buy on better layers) - and not had the ridiculous situation where Fulham fans think that Onomah (given away last summer after being played as a RM by Poch for token minutes in many matches and never as CM where he plaed in Spurs youth and Fulham) is largely responsible for getting them back in PL or players like Spurs u16 captain Mandueke refusing Spurs Academy scholarship offer as he thinks there is no route to the Spurs first team (and now a first team player at PSV scoring goals and making assists having taken Bergwijn's place - at age 18) or Binks leaving to go to Montreal and now Italy for the same reason.

I thank Poch for the coaching he did for the first team and getting us to CL final (and Cl in 4 successive seasons) but not for his utterly incompetent handling of most of the academy players during his tenure or his over training/playing many first team players which may well have caused many of them to burn out too early.

As you may know I supported Poch because he was our manager, however I never believed the hype and even now think that any decent manager given the resources Poch had would have achieved the same if not more. But that's all water under the bridge ...

I thought your earlier post was criticising the academy which I think is very unfair, the academy has churned out 5 or 6 professionals a year including at least thirty who currently play top level football ... if you were just saying that Poch wasted that talent then I would tend to agree - Poch was odd with young players, he would bring them right to the edge of first team football but never quite take that last step.

We now have as good a crop of under 23's and under 18's as we've ever had ... and we've at last started recruiting some very talented youngsters into our top class academy facilities ... high hopes for the future and that includes this season.

As you may know I supported Poch because he was our manager, however I never believed the hype and even now think that any decent manager given the resources Poch had would have achieved the same if not more. But that's all water under the bridge ...

I thought your earlier post was criticising the academy which I think is very unfair, the academy has churned out 5 or 6 professionals a year including at least thirty who currently play top level football ... if you were just saying that Poch wasted that talent then I would tend to agree - Poch was odd with young players, he would bring them right to the edge of first team football but never quite take that last step.

We now have as good a crop of under 23's and under 18's as we've ever had ... and we've at last started recruiting some very talented youngsters into our top class academy facilities ... high hopes for the future and that includes this season.

Our academy has by and large been very good, probably starting with the year group containing players like Mason and Townsend who I recall following on the internet as Spurs u16's beating Barcelona in an u17 youth tournament semi final and Sporting in the final - one of the first youth tournaments they won in recent times and McDermott's first year group where he made a big impression on Spurs academy after joining.

Each year group since then has varied a little in quality of players, but usually with at least two and sometimes more who looked as if they could make it - often with England youth credentials which is often a good early indicator.

The point of my posts was not to criticise the academy in getting decent prospects through to the age of 18/19 but for the lack of any real path for those youngsters after that age - it seemed to be for the best youngsters ''come and train with the first team, but you can't play u23 football whilst you train'' and ''if you want to make it at Spurs don't go on loan' so whilst Poch had a look at a good 20 youngsters in his time, many of which had impressed England youth coaches including a couple of players who won E u17 WC, ......only Winks really came out of that process.

So yup, I think Poch wasted a lot of talent in his 5 years - obviously unfair on some of the kids, but also unfair on fans that we've seen dross bought in (N'Jie, N'Koudou et al when we had the equivalent or better available from the academy).

The current Academy Year 1 is as good as any we've had (to which we've added Devine) giving us 3 or 4 very good prospects (Scarlett, Hackett, Devine and Mathurin with maybe 3 half a step behind), the year above has more numbers but maybe not as many great propects (and u16's below have a few vey good players in too) whilst u23's, excluding Skipp and Parrott probably have half a dozen or so players who JM should look at.

So plenty to look forward to - just a shame we didnt make much more of the last few years talent either in the first team or to add to the £100m we raised from youngsters largely developed before Poch (although some of them played in Poch's first couple of years)..........since then we've raised diddly squat from the sale of youngsters

Issue number 305 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post ranks 80 top divisions worldwide according to the percentage of minutes by 21-year-old or younger players since the 2015/16 (or 2015) season. The lowest percentage among the five major European leagues was recorded in the English Premier League (7.1% of minutes), while the highest was measured in the French Ligue 1 (15.4%).

xC1EjHI.png

821591hb522t27.jpg

another estonian CB on trial at Spurs, the name is Erko Jonne Tõugjas and he is 17 year old. Has represented Estonia U-17 11 times so far. Can't say I know anything about him, except that he plays for 2nd tier club owned by former fartsenal GK Poom. They seem to have a good academy, just last week one 16 year old signed for Inter

821591hb522t27.jpg

another estonian CB on trial at Spurs, the name is Erko Jonne Tõugjas and he is 17 year old. Has represented Estonia U-17 11 times so far. Can't say I know anything about him, except that he plays for 2nd tier club owned by former fartsenal GK Poom. They seem to have a good academy, just last week one 16 year old signed for Inter

...and they gave him shirt no.99. I can't see Milik wanting to come here now

:freundgoal:

821591hb522t27.jpg

best mates with the other guy we got last week?

Totally off topic, I did have a great 3-4 day break in Talinn just before Xmas a few years back. Airbnb with a sauna (!) just 10 mins walk from the old City part. V friendly peeps and the food was delicious. 2 feet of snow, Xmas markets......mmmmm

Back
Top Bottom