Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saw that Troy's loan is going to end?

Think that move to Brighton would be a good one..they need reinforcements desperately. Maybe too big a move though?

I can't see an 18 year old, who statistically has failed at a Championship club going on loan to a Premier League club fighting for survival.

I think a League One loan would be the smartest. One who preferably likes to play football.

I can't see an 18 year old, who statistically has failed at a Championship club going on loan to a Premier League club fighting for survival.

I think a League One loan would be the smartest. One who preferably likes to play football.
The romantic in me that wants to see Brighton survive with the help of one of ours

I don't think Parrott has 'failed' at Millwall, just a problem they do not create many chances (which is why the team have scored only 17 goals in 20 league matches) so Parrott has had to drop into CM to pick up the ball all the time. With injuries he's not played many games when fit either.

Plenty of Championship teams could be a good shout, or as you say League 1. But it has to be a team who create chances as otherwise may as well stick it out at Millwall and at least learn pro football even if he doesn't show practice scoring there.

I don't think Parrott has 'failed' at Millwall, just a problem they do not create many chances (which is why the team have scored only 17 goals in 20 league matches) so Parrott has had to drop into CM to pick up the ball all the time. With injuries he's not played many games when fit either.

Plenty of Championship teams could be a good shout, or as you say League 1. But it has to be a team who create chances as otherwise may as well stick it out at Millwall and at least learn pro football even if he doesn't show practice scoring there.

9 games, 0 goals, 0 assists.

statistically, that's a failed loan and not on a Premier League club is going to sign him on the back off.

Now we know by watching, he's in a team that don't create chances and have either put him on the wing or instructed him to come deep to create. And at 18, that's a lot of pressrure.

9 games, 0 goals, 0 assists.

statistically, that's a failed loan and not on a Premier League club is going to sign him on the back off.

Now we know by watching, he's in a team that don't create chances and have either put him on the wing or instructed him to come deep to create. And at 18, that's a lot of pressrure.

Yup but given injury half of those games he's not been match fit for.

It would have been romantic if Troy had a big success at Millwall like HK did.
There is an argument to say he should stick it out and learn a lesson.

A match last year when he was playing for Stevenage

REPORT: Stevenage U15s 4-2 Southend United U15s - News - Stevenage Football Club (stevenagefc.com)

I understand the midfield player is both a Spurs u16 this season and played for E u16's a few days ago in a friendly

Worth commenting that our u16 squad is now starting to look very, good, with a lot of players capped at England u15 or E u16 :

Luke Gunter (GK) - E u15. Signed a 3 year scholarship at Spurs in June, very early
Alfie Dorrington (CB) - often E u15 captain, signed a 3 year scholarship at Spurs in June - very early.
Brandon Bryan-Waugh (CB) E u16
Tom Bloxham midfielder E u15
Billy Heaps midfielder E u16
Owen Riley (CAM) E u15
Jamie Donley (E u15 and N Ireland u16 striker).

So 7 x E u15/u16's in Spurs u16's.

At this age other kids put on a spurt either physically or mentally so can join the above level of player and equally some will drop off, but Spurs u16's starting with 7 players capped at that level makes this a good solid intake year likely to do well in Academy u18's next season.

Last edited:
Training Ground Guru | Youth Hawk: Which clubs are producing England stars of tomorrow?

An independent report on how many England youth internationals each club is producing annually - its a proxy for how successful each academy is at recruitment and training their youngsters. Well worth a read.

As in the last 5 years, the top 4 in order were Chelsea (23), Manchester City (in 2019 equal for the first time) (23), Woolwich (17), Spurs (14) - the figures in brackets measuring the number of youngsters measured as being in England youth teams in the measured year.

After that Liverpool (13) replacing Everton who have been in 5th place for a few years and Manchester United (12)

Noteworthy is that Chelsea have had a policy of hoovering up the best talent they can find in London, as do Woolwich, so Spurs academy have always had plenty of competition at recruitment - but I think maybe 10 years ago Spurs had the edge on Woolwich. Things are not made easier by the fact that ManCity recruit maybe half their academy players by raiding other academies including those in London such as QPR, Brentford etc for youngsters at all ages including say u16 (before Academy Scholarships are awarded).

I would hope that with the new stadium generating funds that we would put more money into the youth set up with a view to re-establishing the system which used to give us one or two players in the first team each season, typically as squad players, then selling on those who prove not to be good enough - the likes of Townsend, Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, Livermore, Veljkovic et al netting £100m plus, paying for the academy running costs for a few years (or contributing to transfer funds - wherever the money is allocated), whilst allowing us to keep the likes of Kane, free,.

This process is the only way to give Spurs the minimum 4 Club players we need to have a full squad for CL/EL - currently our 4 are Kane, Winks, Bale and Whiteman, with Tanganga and Skipp available when they turn 21.

And they can also fill some of the 'Trained by other clubs Affiliated to The FA' places of which we need 4 to have a full CL/EL squad - currently we have only 3 being Dele, Clarke Hart - so we are one player short.......and there are very few top class HG players Spurs would want to buy usually, and not cheap either.

Last edited:
I would hope that with the new stadium generating funds that we would put more money into the youth set up with a view to re-establishing the system which used to give us one or two players in the first team, typically as squad players, then selling on those who prove not to be good enough - the likes of Townsend, Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, Livermore, Veljkovic et al netting £100m plus paying for the academy
I'm very much of the view that our HG players are worth more to us than to other clubs because their motivation, and therefore their potential ceiling as players, can be higher.

I like to think that when previously youth players are sold from the club, having made a start in the first team, that for whatever reason - emotional dislocation, not being looked after so well, not quite the same motivation - I don't know, I've never been involved in football at anything like that level. But the margins are sooooo fine - if your performance drops off even a couple of points that could make all the difference. And then there's the luck aspect with avoiding injuries.

The players you mentioned, imo:

Bentaleb. Real talent. Made a really silly mistake, badly advised by agent. I really think we could have had a long term career at Spurs in MF;

Mason: Not quite so talented, but easily PL quality, and with the determination to succeed and better himself. Another possible long term career at Spurs;

Velkjovic: should have persevered with him. Could well have been a HG defender;

Townsend: headless chicken at times, but with proper coaching could have been been here longer term as squad player rotated in. In hindsight with Lamela's bad luck with injury record. He'd made his debut under Redknapp well before EL was signed.

Carrol, Livermore: sell, would never establish themselves even as squad players.

It's why I'd also give Winks more time to see whether he could use his determination to succeed to self improve enough. Having said that I think that Skipp is a potentially better player, better passer, better when getting the ball under pressure, more physical.

As you can tell I'm defo glass half full guy.

I'm very much of the view that our HG players are worth more to us than to other clubs because their motivation, and therefore their potential ceiling as players, can be higher.

I like to think that when previously youth players are sold from the club, having made a start in the first team, that for whatever reason - emotional dislocation, not being looked after so well, not quite the same motivation - I don't know, I've never been involved in football at anything like that level. But the margins are sooooo fine - if your performance drops off even a couple of points that could make all the difference. And then there's the luck aspect with avoiding injuries.

The players you mentioned, imo:

Bentaleb. Real talent. Made a really silly mistake, badly advised by agent. I really think we could have had a long term career at Spurs in MF;

Mason: Not quite so talented, but easily PL quality, and with the determination to succeed and better himself. Another possible long term career at Spurs;

Velkjovic: should have persevered with him. Could well have been a HG defender;

Townsend: headless chicken at times, but with proper coaching could have been been here longer term as squad player rotated in. In hindsight with Lamela's bad luck with injury record. He'd made his debut under Redknapp well before EL was signed.

Carrol, Livermore: sell, would never establish themselves even as squad players.

It's why I'd also give Winks more time to see whether he could use his determination to succeed to self improve enough. Having said that I think that Skipp is a potentially better player, better passer, better when getting the ball under pressure, more physical.

As you can tell I'm defo glass half full guy.

Agree with that.

IMO 25% the players that get a handful of appearances in Spurs team will be assessed as not being good enough and moved on (but for a fee) and of the rest maybe another 25% will move on after a few seasons both for the sake of their own career as they've only played say 20 - 30 games (but for a fee) and there are other youngsters coming through. But of the rest we might well get a generational talent like Kane every so often and a number of very decent players who can be used to rotate - rather than buy them. Its not too hard to imagine say 8 club trained players in Spurs squad within say 3 years.

I think it can already be seen with the likes of Skipp, followed by the likes of White, Parrott, Cirkin, Devine, Scarlett and others already here - not to mention players still only 18/19 years old who left as under Poch there was no route through such Binks (good CB with Alderweireld like long passing) and Mandueke (scoring for fun at PSV) that there is a conyeyer belt of talent just needing a route to the first team (probably via some first tram appearances and loans) already available.

As you say club trained players try that bit harder (versus highly paid bought mercenaries at Woolwich) and will save a good deal of transfer fees which can be used to buy that 'special' player if needed.......

Eyoma rested with the game safe?

Edit - hopefully yes and not an injury, 4-0 up at the time
From Lincoln site : Almost an assist !

The Imps (Lincoln) were knocking on the door though and the third goal finally arrived in the 56th minute through Anthony Scully. City worked it well out wide to TJ Eyoma who crossed first time to Remy Howarth. Howarth cut inside his man and fired a shot at goal which O’Hara could only parry to Scully, who was on hand to tap in the rebound to make it 3-0.

Bowden not been playing since November. Injured again?

Can only guess that, played 20 minutes off bench v Man U in his first match back from injury and then next match started v Leicester but came off at HT seeming to play ok and with a shot saved just before HT and not seen again since then.

Next to no information given on youth injuries so Cirkin not seen for a month or more now........Ferguson played one match after announcement he had signed and not seen playing again (appeared in a squad publicity shot at stadium though)..........no information on Malachi Fagan-Walcott recovery from injury this season........and no information on any of them.

Back
Top Bottom