Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EvBmgF0XcAIH8Ow

Fair play to Mou
In this department he's done better than Poch

Skipp's loan has gone amazing and I doubt he would've got it under Poch. Youngsters also getting minutes in these sort of games is great to see !
Hard not to agree but there's just that cynical side of me that thinks it's quite easy to bring the boys in given the assignment and given that 2 senior pros had been put on to make utterly sure that 7 goals was enough.

Minutes are minutes and I'd hate to take anything away from those lads. Mourinho is many things, but someone who doesn't carefully manage his profile is not one.

Far more optimistic about youth being developed under him than Pochettino so far tbh.

As I result I'd like to think we've more chance of hanging on to some of the better ones this time around.
And hopefully those that don't make the cut can at least be sold on for decent money.

You'll make more money selling a youth player that has 20+ or so games in League 1/the championship than you would selling a youth player that hasn't gotten a lick of first team football.

Last edited:
And we will hopefully those that don't make the cut can at least be sold on for decent money.

You'll make more money selling a youth player that has 20+ or so games in League 1/the championship than you would selling a youth player that hasn't gotten a lick of first team football.
That's a very good point.
Applies to our unwanted 1st teamers as well.

Hard not to agree but there's just that cynical side of me that thinks it's quite easy to bring the boys in given the assignment and given that 2 senior pros had been put on to make utterly sure that 7 goals was enough.

Minutes are minutes and I'd hate to take anything away from those lads. Mourinho is many things, but someone who doesn't carefully manage his profile is not one.
Have to agree with this. Its nice PR and pleases the fans and especially the board. We know Levy likes the homegrown youngster route and rightly so. We have had a lot of nice words like Cirkin is a great talent, Sessegnon is the next Ashley Cole, Skipps a future captain and now about Scarlett. Thats fine but i can't help feel we're being played a little bit. If you feel that strongly start them sometimes, especially games like yesterday. Mourinho doesn't really trust or play in meaningful games anyone 21 or under. Given them 5 minutes at the end of Europa cakewalks is what Redknapp used to do and i dont think anyone can claim old Arry was invested in the youth team very much. What Mourinho has done well and imo the best thing he has done since he's been here is bring back loans for our better youngsters. I never got Pochs policy with that at all.

And hopefully those that don't make the cut can at least be sold on for decent money.

Agree with the principle - but not sure any of the Championship/League 1 sides will have much cash available for transfers in next 6 or 12 months. Maybe need to take a long term view with sell on percentages etc.

Have to agree with this. Its nice PR and pleases the fans and especially the board. We know Levy likes the homegrown youngster route and rightly so. We have had a lot of nice words like Cirkin is a great talent, Sessegnon is the next Ashley Cole, Skipps a future captain and now about Scarlett. Thats fine but i can't help feel we're being played a little bit. If you feel that strongly start them sometimes, especially games like yesterday. Mourinho doesn't really trust or play in meaningful games anyone 21 or under. Given them 5 minutes at the end of Europa cakewalks is what Redknapp used to do and i dont think anyone can claim old Arry was invested in the youth team very much. What Mourinho has done well and imo the best thing he has done since he's been here is bring back loans for our better youngsters. I never got Pochs policy with that at all.

Actually whilst Red knapp wasn't ideal for youth he put out several sides with a lot of youth in them in UEFA cup - Harry Kane got his first game for Spurs in a dead 2nd rubber, and several sides in group stages had a lot of youngsters in. And he also (with Sherwood also helping at youth level) also organised a number of loans including Kane to Orient and Millwall.

So by the time Redknapp left there were a number of players at various stages of development including Kane, Townsend, Mason, Carroll, Fredericks etc.

AVB followed Redknapp but was far less interested in youth, but kept youth loans going.

Sherwood had half a season when he really pushed youth giving Kane a run of 7 PL starts, scoring 3 goals, introducing Bentaleb to first team etc.

Poch came in and relied on youth in his first season, particularly Kane with Mason/Bentaleb as his his choice cm's, Townsend as a RW option etc.........but within a year sold most youth to generate £100m+ which he proceeded to spend on established players such as Sissoko and Sanchez. Might have given 15-20 youngsters one appearance each over 5+ seasons (ie about 4 a season) but few got more than that....and only delivered one player in Winks through to first team.

Roll forward to Mourhino, and he's having to follow the Redknapp path of building a conveyor belt of talent (as there was not many in the queue when he arrived to inherit), sending the last of Poch's youth (Skipp, Eyoma etc) on loans to see if they can be developed whilst also giving other youngsters a first taste of the first team.

I'd prefer Mourhino to give Tanganga more playing time so he becomes a more experienced first team option, and as we have a couple of 20 year olds, trust one or two with starts regardless of loans, but generally think Mourhino's doing a decent job at youth by loaning out 18/19 year olds to get experience.
Restarting the youth development policy is great - I'm reasonably confident we will get Skipp in Spurs first team next season, but we may need to wait a season or two to get the fruits of the others sent on loan by JM this season and those tried out but not on loan such as Scarlett, Devine and maybe Lavinir......... youth development does not produce results over night. But at least there is a chance of getting some youngsters into first team this way.

Worth remembering we need to have a minimum of 4 Club trained players in a UEFA squad (and we are struggling to get 4 quality players), aside from saving on fees, club trained players tend to try harder for clubs than bought in players.

Actually whilst Red knapp wasn't ideal for youth he put out several sides with a lot of youth in them in UEFA cup - Harry Kane got his first game for Spurs in a dead 2nd rubber, and several sides in group stages had a lot of youngsters in. And he also (with Sherwood also helping at youth level) also organised a number of loans including Kane to Orient and Millwall.

So by the time Redknapp left there were a number of players at various stages of development including Kane, Townsend, Mason, Carroll, Fredericks etc.
H also gave a debut to Rose, who turned out to be a very average winger and converted him to a pretty decent LB (he also converted a pretty average LB, Bale, into a pretty decent LM/LW!!)

Selected a very raw Walker as RB.

You mentioned Townsend, I saw his debut at home v Charlton, scored a 20 yarder with his "wrong" peg. So did well there too.

H was one of the better ones with youth then imo, considering we were challenging for top 4 pretty much the whole time, which clearly brings a lot of pressure on results, and very easy to ignore the academy.

AVB followed Redknapp but was far less interested in youth, but kept youth loans going.

Sherwood had half a season when he really pushed youth giving Kane a run of 7 PL starts, scoring 3 goals, introducing Bentaleb to first team etc.

Poch came in and relied on youth in his first season, particularly Kane with Mason/Bentaleb as his his choice cm's, Townsend as a RW option etc.........but within a year sold most youth to generate £100m+ which he proceeded to spend on established players such as Sissoko and Sanchez. Might have given 15-20 youngsters one appearance each over 5+ seasons (ie about 4 a season) but few got more than that....and only delivered one player in Winks through to first team.

Roll forward to Mourhino, and he's having to follow the Redknapp path of building a conveyor belt of talent (as there was not many in the queue when he arrived to inherit), sending the last of Poch's youth (Skipp, Eyoma etc) on loans to see if they can be developed whilst also giving other youngsters a first taste of the first team.

I'd prefer Mourhino to give Tanganga more playing time so he becomes a more experienced first team option, and as we have a couple of 20 year olds, trust one or two with starts regardless of loans, but generally think Mourhino's doing a decent job at youth by loaning out 18/19 year olds to get experience.
Restarting the youth development policy is great - I'm reasonably confident we will get Skipp in Spurs first team next season, but we may need to wait a season or two to get the fruits of the others sent on loan by JM this season and those tried out but not on loan such as Scarlett, Devine and maybe Lavinir......... youth development does not produce results over night. But at least there is a chance of getting some youngsters into first team this way.

Worth remembering we need to have a minimum of 4 Club trained players in a UEFA squad (and we are struggling to get 4 quality players), aside from saving on fees, club trained players tend to try harder for clubs than bought in players.
Sort of my point. Mourinho is only really doing what Redknapp did. I don't feel either have/had much interest in youth but both have used it for Europa squads as a nice bit of PR and to fill out the squad in easier fixtures. Neither really stay long enough at clubs to warrant embracing any form of long term strategy. This isn't a criticism of Mourinho because at least he reinstated the loan system and is bringing some of these names into the public eye but lets not kid ourselves that he is going to start picking many if any of these players if in charge next season. Its not something he has ever done.

Sort of my point. Mourinho is only really doing what Redknapp did. I don't feel either have/had much interest in youth but both have used it for Europa squads as a nice bit of PR and to fill out the squad in easier fixtures. Neither really stay long enough at clubs to warrant embracing any form of long term strategy. This isn't a criticism of Mourinho because at least he reinstated the loan system and is bringing some of these names into the public eye but lets not kid ourselves that he is going to start picking many if any of these players if in charge next season. Its not something he has ever done.

Yup, but I think he deserves some credit for rebuilding the foundations of the development of players from about 18 to 21 which had pretty much collapsed under Poch - although Poch had inherited and benefitted from a working system and the prize of Kane who had already had a short run of PL starts and a few PL goals to his name on the way to becoming one of the best strikers in the world. And sold the other youngsters for £100m+ to add to transfer funds - even if most don't think the money was spent well given we all want to sell them now !

Mourhino may well not benefit from it, but whoever is coach is say 2 years time sure will - he'll inherit a cadre of players aged 18 - 21 from whom he will be able include a couple into the first team every season : and all he has to do is to keep the system of 'blooding' kids, ensuring players go on loans to further develop, and integrating the best of them into the first team

Last edited:
Noon Friday 26th February - Spurs u23's v Blackburn

Blackburn 2nd in table, Spurs 3rrd I think so no easy game. Interesting to see if Dane Scarlett and Marcel Lavinier are back in squad - and Nile John who has made a couple of appearances too. As well as Dennis Cirkin and Jamie Bowden who were coming back from injuries before recent EL matches

11.30 Saturday, Spurs u18's away at Reading

Just a bit of fun, but if we had all our u21's back off loan, we could field a very decent team - I particularly like central midfield - and bench. In fact there are some players we could add to make a 12 man bench. The only real weakness is the limited number of AM's

Parrott would need to spend some time cutting in from the left to add some width (but both Lavinier and Cirkin do that too), with the alternative of playing Bennett (winger/striker) in that role.

On the bench one of the selection dilemmas is between the promise of Donley (an u16 who has done very well in u18's) and 19 year old Etete who is doing well as striker for u23's and unlucky to have the best competition for years in that position : I had thought his size alone would give him an edge in getting into pre-season or EL this year but apparently not. And Eyoma might have a decent call for being RCB or RB after a very good loan at Lincoln.

Austin
Lavinier Tanganga Walcott Cirkin
Skipp White John
Devine
Scarlett Parrott​

Subs : Whiteman, Okedina, Eyoma, Bowden, Markanday, Bennett, Etete/Donley

Last edited:

Good to see both Bowden and Cirkin fit enough to start the match.

Despite the number of loans, its still a fairly decent starting X1.

First time we've seen Asante (on bench) since pre-season I think. Rare appearances for Pedder and Skinner on bench too.

Etete scored just before half time (and Lyons-Foster sent off in first half) before game levelled by a 2nd half penalty

Back
Top Bottom