Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brentford Academy was formally closed at end of 2015-16 season with the players released to find another academy to join and a few (probably oldest) sold.

Players included u16's but also u16'2, u15. u14 etc.

Spurs picked up a number of them, but worthwhile noting that its not uncommon for players at end of say u14 season will move from one academy to another, so whilst Brentford academy closing brought things to a head some players might have moved anyway.

Thimothee Lo-Tutala u18 goalkeeper who has just moved up to Spurs development squad is another who moved from Brentford academy to Spurs around time of Brentford academy closing (but not sure of precise timing).
cheers 👍

T L-T is highly rated as a keeper isn't he? If so, that's 2 possible for the future then, good going.

Did Brentford shut their Academy down because it's expensive for a non-PL team, and their best kids got cherry-picked by other, bigger clubs? 3 of them have grounds very close to Griffin P.

They must be doing something right. Since they got their promotion out of Div 1 they've been there or thereabouts several seasons. I imagine there's so many players that get released by other London clubs they can let them do the hard work for a change!

Rick Wakeman I recall being a fan, don't know of any other "celebs".

cheers 👍

T L-T is highly rated as a keeper isn't he? If so, that's 2 possible for the future then, good going.

Did Brentford shut their Academy down because it's expensive for a non-PL team, and their best kids got cherry-picked by other, bigger clubs? 3 of them have grounds very close to Griffin P.

They must be doing something right. Since they got their promotion out of Div 1 they've been there or thereabouts several seasons. I imagine there's so many players that get released by other London clubs they can let them do the hard work for a change!

Rick Wakeman I recall being a fan, don't know of any other "celebs".

Various explanations I heard for closing academy - probably most credible one being that they felt young players were being cherry picked eg before offered academy scholarship so 'compensation' is prety low, and of course its the best of the say 10 - 15 in that year group.

I think that they lost a fair number of very decent youngsters when they closed the academy (including Nile John, Dermi Lusala, Thimothee Lo-Tutala and we have had a couple of others who flopped). But they have created a B team out of other clubs younsters either discards or who felt over looked - so Paris Maghoma from Spurs who has been in and around England youth groups, but not imo first class.

So IMO the academy closure decision has probably cost them as many good prospects as they have gained with B team approach. Might take a couple more years to work out if it really was a good decision.

Where Bretford have really gained is in their data focussed analysis of young players to pick up the likes of Ollie Watkins for a relsative song, develop him and sell him to Villa for I think circa £30m

Not bad money - just a shame that Poch came up with that 'Mini Messi' comment and it seemed to be downhill all the way.

The youngster has shown his talent in Portugal so wouldn't surprise me at all if selling him is seen as one of our worst ever mistakes.

Just to put that into context Mini Messi Edwards was seen as being an even better prospect than Noni Mandueke who was being seen by Dortmund as Jadon Sancho's successor when he moves on ....... or to put it another way Poch seems to have pissed off 2 youngsters who are currently being regarded as possibly worth £100m each in time.......

Kind of underlines the need for a youh development policy ?

Just to put that into context Mini Messi Edwards was seen as being an even better prospect than Noni Mandueke who was being seen by Dortmund as Jadon Sancho's successor when he moves on ....... or to put it another way Poch seems to have pissed off 2 youngsters who are currently being regarded as possibly worth £100m each in time.......

Ultimately it depends on who the manager/head coach of the first team is. If they don't believe in youth and genuinely give youth a chance to progress then kids will be reluctant to stay and they will move on.

Isn't it about time we got a Youth 2021-22 thread?
I want to start looking forward and not backwards.

Probably worth waiting for the Retained and Released lists to be published - might not differ from what we know already, but worth starting out with a confirmed list of players.

I've PM'd WindyCOYS WindyCOYS as he has been the starter of the Youth threads here to see if he's still around and wants to take the lead, so give him a week or two in case he's on hols somewhere.

That takes uis to start of July, just before pre-season starts which seems a decent time for the new thread to start ?

Last edited:
Probably worth waiting for the Retained and Released lists to be published - might not differ from what we know already, but worth starting out with a confirmed list of players.

I've PM'd WindyCOYS WindyCOYS as he has been the starter of the Youth threads here to see if he's still around and wants to take the lead, so give him a week or two in case he's on hols somewhere.

That takes uis to start of July, just before pre-season starts which seems a decent time for the new thread to start ?
Thanks. Makes sense but I just want get the last season and covid out of the way ASAP.

Ultimately it depends on who the manager/head coach of the first team is. If they don't believe in youth and genuinely give youth a chance to progress then kids will be reluctant to stay and they will move on.

True but I think Club understand we already have a problem re HG players, so needed to change how youth is managed - and hence a 'Managing Director Football' /DoF appointment.

Rules currently allow 17 overseas trained players plus 8 HG players (of whom 4 must be Club trained for uefa competitions).

Our HG players last season (20.21) were :

Club trained - Kane, Winks, Bale, Whiteman (3rd GK)
Other FA affiliated Club Trained - Dele, Hart

In 21/22 we have Tanganga needing registration as he's over 21 (but will he stay or be loaned out - and same question for Whiteman), and whilst Skipp and Sessegnon are back both count as u21''s next season - Skipp will be Club trained in 22/23 and Sessegnon as 'Other FA affiliated Club trained'

But will Bale be with us in 22/23 ? And I doubt if Hart will be here in 22/23'

And that's assuming both Kane and Dele stay.

Fundamental question is to recruit top players who qualify as trained by 'Other Clubs affiliated to the FA' is both expensivve and there are not many available. I'd suggest of the players who have been available only Grealish (2 years ago) and Sancho (last season/this season) would be the only top talents available. And there are not too many even in the next level down. So its both expensive and difficult to get those in.

Which is why I think Spurs need to try to get at least one Club Trained player into first team squad (usually as a squad player) in most years, so as not to neeed to rely on recruiting other 'FA Club affiliated players' too much. Which in turn means Spurs need to continue to develop some youth players via loan and playing at the club.

ManU consistently do it - so Spurs shouldn't be too proud to do it ?

Not bad money - just a shame that Poch came up with that 'Mini Messi' comment and it seemed to be downhill all the way.

The youngster has shown his talent in Portugal so wouldn't surprise me at all if selling him is seen as one of our worst ever mistakes.

Going over the top a bit. 100m each...where did that come from.
Edwards WAS a top prospect but cocked it up by acting like a plank. He may come good , who knows. Has that transfer been confirmed. Seems a big fee between Portuguese clubs. If he is thought to be that good i’m Surprised wolves haven’t snapped him up.
I honestly thought Parrott was going to be a first team player. Watching him now I just don’t know. Always thought he was a centre forward but seems to be played as a number 10 or wide in a 3 by Ipswich and Ireland. Big season for him coming up. Needs a good loan to try and get going.
At the moment it’s up in the air. If Scarlett is as good asMourinho said then that’s big competition for Parrott.

Back
Top Bottom