Spurs Youth Players - Where are they now?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely. There has been progress for sure since 2005/06 when the changes to the youth setup happened, a lot of players just need that final step. In an ideal situation with the current crop of young midfielders along with our current first team squad we should not need to buy anyone in those positions for a number of years.

Be interested to see just how Swindown Town do this season, a good season from our kids there and then a premier league loan next year could mean a first team place in the near future.

Great post

At a club our size with our aspirations, opportunities for the kids will become fewer and fewer, with immediate success crazed at all times. Gone are the days of big teams producing a large batch of players from their own academy ala United's 90's vintage of Giggs, Beckham, Nevilles, Butt and Scholes.
Majority of youth will be produced by the smaller clubs now, although the FFP could balance it a bit more.

Looking back at the list the only players who left us and had a career at a high level were Carr, Kelly and Clemence (funnily enough all mostly with Birmingham City).

I think Caulker is the start of youth players to leave us who will have a better career than the dross we've had and that as you say will have more to do with our aspirations and the quality of our first team. Bit surprised Jamie O'Hara is plying his trade in League One now and has been put on the transfer list as well.

Before your excellent analysis, we had a few academy guys who went on to great things, but very few. Most recent was Crouch, who we actually sold for ยฃ60k!!!!! Didn't think he would make it. The most famous is Des Walker, who we sold for a pittance or perhaps released, and he went on to get a shitload of England caps and be perhaps Englands finest defender for many, many years. And then there's a young fella we let Manure take from us when he was young, you might have heard of him, Beckham. So compared to the previous decades, this is fucking fantastic!

You're not the only one, there was a time when O'Hara looked like he was going to be a star, I really don't know / remember what happened. He just kind of fizzled out didn't he?

You're not the only one, there was a time when O'Hara looked like he was going to be a star, I really don't know / remember what happened. He just kind of fizzled out didn't he?
He was very, very technical and gifted, but he made a decision that in the PL it was more important to be fit and strong than gifted, and concentrated on that side of his game. Perhaps he went too far and lost the technique?
He also fell heavily for some reality star/tit model who went through the team at WHL first adn went off and married it, probably had a bearing.

I was impressed with Cameron's Cameo ( Word up) & I hope that he gets given another shot . Such a shame about that injury

Back
Top Bottom