Spurs Youth Players - Where are they now?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think the injuries must have had something to do with it too.

I remember a game, must have been the 2007/08 season where he played at full back against Man U. Was really impressed with him in that one and thought he could go on to be a big player for us at the time.

Had Ronaldo in his pocket iirc, pretty much convinced me he was one hell of a footballer that day

Fingers crossed, Adam Smith, Massimo Luongo, Harry Kane & Jordan Archer will all be squad players for us next season.
I think Kane gets far too much stick from Tottenham fans, he'll never be a world class player like Bale, but he could be a great component to our title winning squad 2014/2015 ;)

Kane just looks lacking in the head for me. Lacking that sharpness, lacking that aggression and lacking the belief in himself needed to be a premiership striker.

I wager we will loan him out again before the window shuts, odds on Palace.

He might be a late bloomer, but IMHO as of right now Id be amazed if he ever makes a premiership start for us.

Fingers crossed, Adam Smith, Massimo Luongo, Harry Kane & Jordan Archer will all be squad players for us next season.
I think Kane gets far too much stick from Tottenham fans, he'll never be a world class player like Bale, but he could be a great component to our title winning squad 2014/2015 ;)

Hands up who thought Bale was a world class player at the age of 19 or 20.

Now hands up who wouldn't have blinked had we sold him on to Forest.

My research wasn't as in-depth as I would have liked and at quick glance on spursodyssey I can't see any reference to a first team game, all reserve and u-18s.

Think you're right - in the squad for Nijmegen but not actually on the bench.

If you change that to if I thought he would become a world class player then yes!

Had Ronaldo in his pocket iirc, pretty much convinced me he was one hell of a footballer that day
Agree - and IIRC we've had a few who've done that. Corluka, good old slowcoach, reviled by many, had him in his pocket too. Such brilliant positioning, Ronaldo could do nothing. And young Phil Ifil had a blinder on debut, can't remember who he kept quiet, but somebody special.

Bale was a truly poor left-back. God knows why we persisted in playing him in that role but I guess it was the belief that he'd develop positional and defensive awareness in the same way Ashley Cole did (who was still a very poor defender when he got his first England caps). Lets face it, only injuries forced our hand into playing him in left midfield.

As for Carr regretting leaving Spurs for Newcastle, it was a very contentious transfer at the time but injuries had ravaged the attacking dimension of Carr's game and left him no better than an 'OK' right back. Before those injuries Carr was an exceptional player - he used to win the man of the match award nearly every week back on the days of Spurs Update forums (before they turned into Glory-Glory). They player we sold to Newcastle wasn't the player we had two seasons beforehand, not even a pale shadow.

Bale was a truly poor left-back. God knows why we persisted in playing him in that role but I guess it was the belief that he'd develop positional and defensive awareness in the same way Ashley Cole did (who was still a very poor defender when he got his first England caps). Lets face it, only injuries forced our hand into playing him in left midfield.
Jol played Bale in midfield, but managers after him didn't until injuries forced it

As for Carr regretting leaving Spurs for Newcastle, it was a very contentious transfer at the time but injuries had ravaged the attacking dimension of Carr's game and left him no better than an 'OK' right back. Before those injuries Carr was an exceptional player - he used to win the man of the match award nearly every week back on the days of Spurs Update forums (before they turned into Glory-Glory). They player we sold to Newcastle wasn't the player we had two seasons beforehand, not even a pale shadow.

Sure, he wasn't at the level of 1999/2000 but he was still one of our key players having played the most games for an outfield player the season before he left. We also finished 14th that season and we really needed our good players to stick around, he wanted to leave to win things - with Newcastle of all teams. That's what I meant by regretting it, not that we won anything for another few years.

Back
Top Bottom