Spursy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

12 long years since a trophy and on it goes.

Every time we get close to a trophy we bottle it, there's something seriously wrong at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Semi-final defeat after defeat in the finals.

Has the continued bottling under Poch destroyed the mentality of our players?
Oh fuck off. We lost away to league champions and unbeaten at home in 3 years by a deflection and own goal. Stop trolling you woolwich prick and go back to your cesspool woolwich tv.

I cannot understand a poster who has loads of posts but not under this name, decides just after the final whistle to hide behind a new name and start this thread. I could have understood it after the Spammers game but this was not Spursy. We lost to the Champions who have not lost at home since 2017 and at home to us in 2011 and had 70%+ of the possession. We did not blow the game but were beaten by a bit of skulduggery in eliminating Dier and getting a run at our goal. These blocking of players happens all the time and whilst disappointing is part of the game.

I cannot understand a poster who has loads of posts but not under this name, decides just after the final whistle to hide behind a new name and start this thread. I could have understood it after the Spammers game but this was not Spursy. We lost to the Champions who have not lost at home since 2017 and at home to us in 2011 and had 70%+ of the possession. We did not blow the game but were beaten by a bit of skulduggery in eliminating Dier and getting a run at our goal. These blocking of players happens all the time and whilst disappointing is part of the game.
We fucked up multiple chances that were handed to us on a silver platter only to lose at the death.

Pools record at home means nothing, when it comes to an individual game that can all go out the window. Just as form does during derbys, we had our chance, and we blew it.

We fucked up multiple chances that were handed to us on a silver platter only to lose at the death.

Pools record at home means nothing, when it comes to an individual game that can all go out the window. Just as form does during derbys, we had our chance, and we blew it.
I still don't know if you're talking about ArseAnal or Chelsea!!
Either way, all THREE of us blew chances this week.... I'm just surprised you're on HERE, when there are clearly more pressing issues to deal with at your OWN CLUB!!

There's 2/3s of the season to go you melt.

Spursy is a term dripping in confirmation bias. It will always be applicable to every team some of the time and just how close do we have to get to lose and for it to count as a 'spursy' event? There's a lot of wiggle room, there. I agree the semis are a bummer, but to call them a statistical anomaly would make an economist's eyes glaze over.

Only one team can win, if that team isn't us, we're spursy. We win 60% of our games, so we're not spursy. If we fail to win any cup at all by the end of next season, we still won't be spursy. We just won't be the best team.

So fuck off and stop giving life to this term.

Spursy is a term dripping in confirmation bias. It will always be applicable to every team some of the time and just how close do we have to get to lose and for it to count as a 'spursy' event? There's a lot of wiggle room, there. I agree the semis are a bummer, but to call them a statistical anomaly would make an economist's eyes glaze over.

Only one team can win, if that team isn't us, we're spursy. We win 60% of our games, so we're not spursy. If we fail to win any cup at all by the end of next season, we still won't be spursy. We just won't be the best team.

It's a pathetic term used by desperate rival fans who hate to see us up the top end of the league.. I'm afraid there are no words for one of our own so called fans who gloatingly use the term

100% this.

I would seriously consider banning people who use that term on here. Anyone who uses it just gives credence to it so they can fuck right off.

Problem is, now the term has been established... every time we don't win a Cup it will be deemed 'Spursy'... every time we don't win the League (especially having been top for a while) will be deemed Spursy... we've narrowed the margin of error... so that every time we lose a game from hereon in, it will be deemed 'Spursy'.... fucking HATE the term!

If you trip at the last hurdle for over a decade again and again it becomes a trend and trends have names.

Posters here seem to think I like the term, I don't!

The point is to recognize spursy and overcome it, if you deny a problem your doomed to repeat it.

It's the events that only seem to happen to us, that I would use the term - lasagnegate, losing out to the Chavs for CL, building a beautiful stadium and not being able to use it. IF we win a trophy, I would call it Spursey that we couldn't witness it in the flesh.
Losing games by a late goal doesn't cut it for me, all teams get caught out by sucker punches.

Only way to rid is fuck the other teams up.

Spursy is the enemy that Mourinho has come to dispatch.
angry superman GIF

If you trip at the last hurdle for over a decade again and again it becomes a trend and trends have names.

Posters here seem to think I like the term, I don't!

The point is to recognize spursy and overcome it, if you deny a problem your doomed to repeat it.

No, sorry, that 'hurdle' is a moving target (the one I was one about when I said 'how close do we have to get'?). I've been a Spurs fan for 15 years and all I would say about not winning silverware is that the closer you get to the top, the better the teams are and the better you have to be. the league is different, but the principle is the same.

Look, you're not wrong. No one can argue that the term hasn't got some basis in reality; but it's *not* reality. At least not until people in your position give psychological weight to it and 'let it in'. So stop it. It was invented by a troll to undermine our belief as a fanbase and therefore, ultimately, as a club. Don't give power to it. It's only appealing to you when you're suffering. Tell it to fuck off. You know we're heading in the right direction and there are always going to be bumps on the way.

Great post. But giving up any semblance of rationality and objectivity is a huge part of being a football fan. It doesn't appeal to me, which is part of the reason I'm neutral.

No, sorry, that 'hurdle' is a moving target (the one I was one about when I said 'how close do we have to get'?). I've been a Spurs fan for 15 years and all I would say about not winning silverware is that the closer you get to the top, the better the teams are and the better you have to be. the league is different, but the principle is the same.

Look, you're not wrong. No one can argue that the term hasn't got some basis in reality; but it's *not* reality. At least not until people in your position give psychological weight to it and 'let it in'. So stop it. It was invented by a troll to undermine our belief as a fanbase and therefore, ultimately, as a club. Don't give power to it. It's only appealing to you when you're suffering. Tell it to fuck off. You know we're heading in the right direction and there are always going to be bumps on the way.
"Spursy" is just when the bad luck that happens to every team happens to Spurs. Insofar as Spurs suffer bad luck like everyone does sometimes, "Spursy" makes sense as a word, albeit coated in an inverse exceptionalism. But the concept it supposedly represents doesn't actually exist in reality (at least in the sense of a cosmic conspiracy against Tottenham Hotspur). (I think this is what you were trying to say, no?)

Back
Top Bottom