Stadium for our conference league home matches

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where should home ties be played at??

• Total voters
I don't know why all the angst

Villarreal, Roma etc will all be in the later rounds and the residue failures of the Europa League.
AND if we win it we get automatic entry into the Europa League next year !

One of my favourite games in this crack-addled season was the Marine one. Old school stuff that caught the imagination of the public. And it was a fun game. It was a shame they never got to come to the new stadium as that would have been the dream.

We are now the top of the mid-table and we're playing in this wacky competition because we deserve it. Might as well have a bit of fun and give them the pleasure of experiencing our absurdly lavish stadium - a venue that we haven't really yet earnt to play in ourselves. It doesn't have to be a thorn in our aspirations. Take the ribbing from the other clubs, let Dane and co on the pitch to show what they can do and smash a few balls in the onion bag.

I've been to Sliema and I saw the winning team on their open top bus
My local team is Birkirkara, the team that gave the spammers a fright a few years back :)

Do these Maltese teams all play out the national stadium when in Europe?

The more I look at it, the more I fancy going there.
Can just imagine stopping off for a pastizzi & coffee while wandering shaded back streets avoiding the mid day heat.

GettyImages-516808731_high.jpg

Do these Maltese teams all play out the national stadium when in Europe?

The more I look at it, the more I fancy going there.
Can just imagine stopping off for a pastizzi & coffee while wandering shaded back streets avoiding the mid day heat.

GettyImages-516808731_high.jpg
All the Premier teams play their games at the National Stadium at Ta' Qali. I remember it being built and it was considered an excellent build for the time, I did the tour with my mum back in the 80s, and I have some great pictures of us, using the gym equipment :).
Funnily enough, the old stadium was sited in Gzira, and it didn't even have grass - the pitch was just concrete and stones! Alan Mullery played there for England, and it was the only time he was captain.
Now my mum is no longer with us, and with covid, I haven't been out there since January last year. I do miss the food - the bread, the pasta, rabbit stew and the pastizzis (always cheese, never the peas version!), all unique to Malta. If you do go out there and it's during the season - make sure you visit the Supporters' Club in Valletta.

I get why people are not enthused about this.

Sure it's a cup to win but it's third tier. It'd be like if they started a domestic cup below the Carabao and Spurs and Villa entered with a bunch of league one teams, hardly gets the blood flowing.

And sure it will be useful in the early stages to give squad players more time but I doubt it will be much different to the Europa League in our team selection. We have a big squad and senior players need minutes so don't expect to watch the under 18s line up - in reality it will be Dele, Bergjwin and Lucas bumbling around with Scarlett coming on for 20 mins at the end if we're lucky.

And you know as soon as we get to the knockout stages the first teamers are getting involved. By then the standard is basically the same as the Europa League group stages so we won't be able to take the piss with our lineups. We saw how that went in the EL this season. Essentially we still have to put in the same effort but for far less prestige.

Then we are in the situation of reaching a new low if we actually don't win it and if we do it will take pride of place slightly above the Audi Cup.

The biggest issue is just the disruption it causes to the schedule especially with a new manager trying to implement new ideas and hopefully a lot of fresh faces in the squad that need to settle. Even if the first XI are not playing at all for a while there is still an impact.

I thought we could have done with a season out of Europe to take a breather and rebuild properly.

That being said I look forward to watching Sanchez get skinned on a rainy Thursday (?) night in Edinburgh against the mighty Hibs.

This £Billion stadium was built for Uefa Champions League, it was built to watch mighty Spurs against the Real Madrid of this world, not some goat herders from Steppe. It would be a fucking pisstake to use this stadium for that joke of a competition.

Home matches for this peasant competition should either be played at Hotspur Way or The Hive Stadium which is used by Spurs Ladies.

The u23/reserve team under Ryan Mason should be the team for this competition.

What are your suggestions lads and lasses?
Voted White Hart Lane (aka the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium)
I don’t like us being in this thing, partly because essentially it’s the European version of the League cup and partly because I think a European free season with additional fixtures would suit us as we rebuild....

However, we talk about mentality within the club, so we have to go and win this thing from day one, prove we are a big club and take this free hit against mostly shit to average sides, in front of a packed stadium, hopefully aided with very low ticket prices, 15 to 20 quid max....Show we are bigger than the trophy in question.....No kids thrown in, no half assed mix n match teams, get out there and treat this like the CL and show the balls to go all the way....

Remember there will be two teams playing - sure for our millionaires it's just another game at NWHL - but if you play for mickey-mouse nobody then to play in one of the best stadiums on the planet, in front of a crowd bigger than your entire season's attendance, that would be a dream come true.

We are the "big boys" in this 3rd tier competition, it's very much up to us to give the minnows their once-in-a-lifetime experience ... it's what the glamour of cup football used to be all about.

Show a little magnanimity on the rare occasions when we can these days.

I really don't get the hate for this competition.

The teams aren't close to as bad as people want to make it out to be and it is a good chance for us to get young players key minutes.

If we make the changes that most hope we do we will want games to give young players a chance and to evaluate them.

For example, it would be great to have these games playing Rodon-Tanganga together as a CB pair, get them minutes together and see how they work as a pair against Qarabag rather than Salah-Mane and LIverpool.

Get a chance to play Sessegnon at LB so he can work out kinks against Feyernoord and not City.

Lets hold it at new White Hart Lane, pack the stadium full of fans that might not get the chance to go to the more expensive games. create a fun atmosphere and have some fun. There is such a lack of excitement and fun around this team for two years why not enjoy some midweek football in games in which we should dominate and watch some young kids get a run out.
Best post I've seen on this forum in a while. Fantastic outlook.

I really don't get the hate for this competition.

The teams aren't close to as bad as people want to make it out to be and it is a good chance for us to get young players key minutes.

If we make the changes that most hope we do we will want games to give young players a chance and to evaluate them.

For example, it would be great to have these games playing Rodon-Tanganga together as a CB pair, get them minutes together and see how they work as a pair against Qarabag rather than Salah-Mane and LIverpool.

Get a chance to play Sessegnon at LB so he can work out kinks against Feyernoord and not City.

Lets hold it at new White Hart Lane, pack the stadium full of fans that might not get the chance to go to the more expensive games. create a fun atmosphere and have some fun. There is such a lack of excitement and fun around this team for two years why not enjoy some midweek football in games in which we should dominate and watch some young kids get a run out.

Excellent post - good to see some positivity, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom