Start to 2020/2021 season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, they will. All the 3rd placed teams from the EL group stages.
:dembelelol:

I know why they do it that way (keeps virtually all the games meaningful for both teams), but the criss-crossing between the competitions really sucks.

Given that lack of quality competition European games is a problem for the minnow sides and fixture pileup is a problem for the bigger sides, they should really do the group stage at an earlier point in the competition.

Do a brief qualifying stage to fish out the Andorran sides, and then let everybody below those top 5 leagues do a full group stage with the top 2 qualifying for a Round of 64 playing two-legged ties to the finish.

That is the absolute death knell of the league cup. Who the hell is going to want to be dumped into a pound shop Europa league?

Top 5 won't care as if they win the league cup and and finish in the top 5 they're staight into the CL or EL group stage.
I believe the vast majority of league cup winners for a decade or more have been top 5/6 teams anyway.

Outside of the top 6, I'm sure showers of shite like West Ham and Everton would go into whatever ropey european competition is on offer.

Top 5 won't care as if they win the league cup and and finish in the top 5 they're staight into the CL or EL group stage.
I believe the vast majority of league cup winners for a decade or more have been top 5/6 teams anyway.

Outside of the top 6, I'm sure showers of shite like West Ham and Everton would go into whatever ropey european competition is on offer.

WH has got a lot of work to do before they have to worry about what Europe comp they qualify for yet......

7th or LC win? :pocheyes:

I've been saying this for years but UEFA would never do it:

Keep the Champions League the same format but don't have the 3rd place teams drop into the Europa League. Then change the EL to a 2 legged straight knock out comp (like the old European Cup) and have it unseeded. You still get the bread and butter of the CL and now would get exciting/interesting game at every round of the EL.

Looks like

Woolwich, Leicester & Tottenham from England
Rangers, Motherwell & Aberdeen from Scotland
Bala Town, Barry Town & The New Saints from Wales
Derry, Shamrock Rovers & Bohemians from Eire
Glentoran & Colraine from Northern Ireland

Would love a draw away to Aberdeen, got family up there and with the old Spurs ties between the two it would be a brilliant trip.

Back
Top Bottom