Steve Archibald!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Noticed on home page had tweeted congrats regards last night, which I thought wasn't the norm as you don't hear a lot about him, but wondered, was he well thought off at us? I was just getting into Tottenham at the time he was playing and was a bit young to pick out individuals let alone know if they were good players!

Noticed on home page had tweeted congrats regards last night, which I thought wasn't the norm as you don't hear a lot about him, but wondered, was he well thought off at us? I was just getting into Tottenham at the time he was playing and was a bit young to pick out individuals let alone know if they were good players!
Always struck me as someone who was grounded and kept himself to himself. Really good player and had a great partnership with Crooks. The fact he left us for Barcelona shows what a good player he was as they have always appreciated quality.

Before Crooks and Archibald turned up our strike force had not been the best. Then these two come along and click and hey presto there's someone putting away all the chances created by Hoddle, Ardiles and Galvin.
Archibald was a strong character by all accounts and he fell out with Burko which was a great shame.
He was a top striker make no mistake and the partnership with Crooks made both better.

aw aye, my old man is a yid and a Londoner - brought me up in the faith. He always spoke in the highest terms about Archibald.

I had a Spurs best ever 11 VHS as a kid. It was El Tel going through his best Spurs 11. I remember him dwelling on the Crooks and Archibald partnership.

Fantastic player, this might sound stupid, it was my view as a young lad but for me he looked like a Tottenham player, as he wore his shirt out, usually long sleeves just like Hoddle, Hazard, villa and Woddle, just looked/felt right.

At the time the partnership between him and Crooks was the best in the league.

For those on twitter he is quite active here is his handle @stevearchibald8

Has he ever been back to The Lane, can't remember seeing him at halftime?

Early 80s , what a great time to be a Yid , seemed to play at wembley every few months and won most, as said before Archie n Crooks was a great partnership....... I would put Steve in the legend category

I watched Tottenham - Real Madrid in the Uefa Cup in March 85 on WHL. As i remember it, the whole stadium for a few minutes chanted Archibaald, Archibaald. We reasoned that it was because he had left for Barcelona, the arch enemy of Real Madrid. Or did we simple hear it wrong?

Steve+ARCHIBALD+Panini+ABERDEEN+1980.png
ENG81+Tottenham+Hotspur+12+Steve+Archibald.png

:)

he was class, really good guy. Excellent player, worked hard and was very skillful. Prolific at aberdeen adn with us. had a mixed time at barcelona, replacing maradona!.
Returned to Scotland to be a legend at Hibs.
Love this from Fergie about the man:
S30LzFu.png

I loved Crooks and Archibald! Archie was very popular with the fans.
He was hard working, strong and physical, had a great shot and was good with his head. Seemed to enjoy his relationship with the supporters, which is why I found it odd that he never spoke about the club and his time there after he left, indeed he seemed to cut all links with Spurs. It's nice to see that recently he's made a few comments about the team and results - I'm not sure if he realises just how popular he was back in the day (and as this thread shows, still in our hearts today)... if he made a half-time appearance at the Lane the place would go mental

...he looked like a Tottenham player, as he wore his shirt out, usually long sleeves just like Hoddle, Hazard, villa and Woddle, just looked/felt right.

...and in THOSE days (when shorts were short) it sometimes looked like he was just wearing a baggy t-shirt with nothing underneath!

Back
Top Bottom