Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guys when do you think Bergwijn will get his first goal or assist in the league this season?

I'm going with matchday 26 personally!

0 goals 0 assist in his last 19 appearances in the league, playing exclusively as a winger/offensive midfielder.

Whats wrong with him?

A combination of poor luck and not being used as an offensive player by Jose when played.

That doesn't mean that he has been good enough but I think looking solely at stats often fails to show what actually happened.

For example if he passes to Kane who then runs through 5 defenders and puts the ball top corner giving Bergwijn an assist does that make him a better player than if he is the guy who runs through 5 defenders, passes it to Kane who makes a simple pass to Son to score and Bergwijn gets nothing?

This is much more of an issue with someone like Lo Celso who starts a lot of our offense and often makes the key play but not the last pass to create the goal so people whine about his numbers but also can apply to Bergwijn as well.

Guys when do you think Bergwijn will get his first goal or assist in the league this season?

0 goals 0 assist in his last 19 appearances in the league, playing exclusively as a winger/offensive midfielder.

Whats wrong with him?
He's just not that good. Doesn't impose himself on games had a few very good moments since he's been here but that's it.

I understand it's a difficult role for him but I've seen time after time when he had the chance to create something with the ball. He does get into good positions at times but none of that matters if there's no end product. Starting to think that our team is sitting too deep with our backline doing almost nothing to support our attackers except Aurier

Whats wrong with him?
He's playing for Mr "low-block, don't attack, sit back, don't over-commit, bottle job, boring, passive, safety first, don't risk, play safe, left them have the ball, Mourinho. That's all the problem is.

His XG is something like .8, counts for fuck all when he's brought on primarily to stop the oppo from playing.

He's playing for Mr "low-block, don't attack, sit back, don't over-commit, bottle job, boring, passive, safety first, don't risk, play safe, left them have the ball, Mourinho. That's all the problem is.

His XG is something like .8, counts for fuck all when he's brought on primarily to stop the oppo from playing.
Well of course he is not the entire issue but if he was able to dribble past his defender every once in a while he might have a higher xG and actually a goal or two. He simply can not dribble this year.

Similarly poor is his xA... it's like .3. Shocking stuff really.

Are the tactics bad? Yes... does that excuse Bergwijn's endless lack of quality in the final third? No.

We don't let Doherty and Aurier off the hook when they play poorly even though some of it has to do with tactics. He's gotta do better or get benched.

He's got .5 dribbles per game. For reference, Watkins 1.3, Grealish 3.0, Kane 1.1, Mane 2.2, March 2.6, Podence 2.5... All said players have more ball progression, key passes etc as well.

And his defensive contribution... I mean sure he runs about a lot but Andros Townsend who plays a similar role has 2.7 tackles per game to Bergwijn's .6... not great. Haven't looked into defensive pressures etc but the overall picture is clear - his stats are terrible. Like, really bad.

He has 0.1 block per game. That means 1 game all season. :levystare:

Not great for an auxiliary "left back" or whatever people call him.

Last edited:
A combination of poor luck and not being used as an offensive player by Jose when played.

That doesn't mean that he has been good enough but I think looking solely at stats often fails to show what actually happened.

For example if he passes to Kane who then runs through 5 defenders and puts the ball top corner giving Bergwijn an assist does that make him a better player than if he is the guy who runs through 5 defenders, passes it to Kane who makes a simple pass to Son to score and Bergwijn gets nothing?

This is much more of an issue with someone like Lo Celso who starts a lot of our offense and often makes the key play but not the last pass to create the goal so people whine about his numbers but also can apply to Bergwijn as well.

He played well when he came on. Lots of energy and getting into good areas but he was the only one doing that the entire game yesterday. So his efforts were wasted because the rest were so poor

Well of course he is not the entire issue but if he was able to dribble past his defender every once in a while he might have a higher xG and actually a goal or two. He simply can not dribble this year.

Similarly poor is his xA... it's like .3. Shocking stuff really.

Are the tactics bad? Yes... does that excuse Bergwijn's endless lack of quality in the final third? No.

We don't let Doherty and Aurier off the hook when they play poorly even though some of it has to do with tactics. He's gotta do better or get benched.

He's got .5 dribbles per game. For reference, Watkins 1.3, Grealish 3.0, Kane 1.1, Mane 2.2, March 2.6, Podence 2.5... All said players have more ball progression, key passes etc as well.

And his defensive contribution... I mean sure he runs about a lot but Andros Townsend who plays a similar role has 2.7 tackles per game to Bergwijn's .6... not great. Haven't looked into defensive pressures etc but the overall picture is clear - his stats are terrible. Like, really bad.

He has 0.1 block per game. That means 1 game all season. :levystare:

Not great for an auxiliary "left back" or whatever people call him.
IMO he's a good player, he's simply deployed as the legs, the player to press the oppo so Kane and Son don't have to do as much, he's the player to make the decoy runs, to create the space for Kane & Son.

In the rare event, we have possession he links well, much, much better than Lucas and Bale (who's shit). I don't know if he's ever been a dribbler, has he???

His defensive contribution is to simply be there, the 2nd player doubling up on the player on the ball, blocking passing lanes, so oppo keep the ball in areas of the pitch that Jose has designated the oppo to have.

In Jose's team, he is there to work off the ball in almost every phase of the game.

Whats wrong with him?
it's ok because he runs a lot though

just another Lucas I'm afraid

Lad is a shade of his former self when he signed. He's low on confidence, for sure. Sad to see. Hopefully he picks it up, he has the talent.

Bergwijn is twice the player Lucas is at the moment. As I said after he missed the chance, the lad is just low on confidence. His runs are getting better, and his first touch is brilliant. Even in these games, you can see that he's talented. I'd play him over Bale or Lucas for sure at the moment, his only competition might be Coco.

Back
Top Bottom