Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What. No!
He wouldn't have been in that position to start with, and even if he would have been, I doubt he would have put it into the net.

I don't like Moura as a player. And I believe that Bergwijn has better footballing brain. But come on. Reality and real actions on the pitch should be the criteria. Not some subjective "likings". He has been getting many chances and has not taken them really. While Moura scored 3 goals and gave an assist within month of February.

Moura is far ahead of pecking order based on that, and it is just fair...

Sure, Bale can't start all games.
But today there were Alli and Lamela also in matchday squad, and both should be started before Bergwijn.

Just a little objective fact here - we have scored 95 goals this season (!! quite sick, ain't it) across all competitions. And Steven Bergwijn is on 0 goals as an attacking player. That is objectively and obviously poor.
I am not saying that we should immidiately try to sell him. All I am saying is that he has been poor this season and he has uphill battle in front of him. For coming games he should be the last resort to be used. And with those options he has to prove he is able to contribute.

He is much better than Moura.

The reality is that neither should be played in the middle of the field ahead of Dele or Lamela, but if one is then Bergwijn is clearly the much better option. The only thing Moura does better is jumping.

Its the eredivisie - even Huntelaar looked better than Lewandowski
Yes maybe but still I maintain he needs his chances.

The team are playing better now and I'm sure he'd look better.

Looked bright v Everton and v Wolfsberger recently.

Hopefully he starts v either Fulham,Palace or Dinamo Zagreb.

Mourinho trusts him still and so do I.

The reality is that neither should be played in the middle of the field ahead of Dele or Lamela, but if one is then Bergwijn is clearly the much better option. The only thing Moura does better is jumping.
he looks neat and tidier than lucas but thats it. at least lucas actually goes for the throat...to be fair bergwijn looked a lot more aggressive with the ball last time he played but thats the only time he has since playing for spurs. hes a forward version of winks. bergwijn probably has the potential to be a lot better but he needs to drop a few lbs and start actually looking to hurt teams instead of just running about a bit

Go on. Explain how is he better.

Don't present your opinions about "ability" as facts if those "abilities" do not translate into real game.
Try to keep at least some kind of objectivity in it.

he looks neat and tidier than lucas but thats it. at least lucas actually goes for the throat...to be fair bergwijn looked a lot more aggressive with the ball last time he played but thats the only time he has since playing for spurs. hes a forward version of winks. bergwijn probably has the potential to be a lot better but he needs to drop a few lbs and start actually looking to hurt teams instead of just running about a bit

He looked aggressive and threatening when he first came here as well, and when has played for Holland and in Holland before he came here. He really has only looked passive once he got put in the role Jose had him playing where he was more focused on tracking back.

I think if we play him in a role that is more suited to his skillset prior to what he has been asked to do under Jose we will see those same skills come out.

Go on. Explain how is he better.

Don't present your opinions about "ability" as facts if those "abilities" do not translate into real game.
Try to keep at least some kind of objectivity in it.

He understands the game better, making runs that actually open up the defense, his passing is better including his ability to lift his head and see teammates, with the ball he is able to beat defenders not just run straight into them and he has a better shot.

The only thing Moura is better at is jumping, which I give him credit for he is great at, especially considering his height.

Moura is an headless chicken, who is only of use when he is allowed the space to roam like a free range headless chicken.

Take away the space and he is simply a useless headless chicken

Moura is an headless chicken, who is only of use when he is allowed the space to roam like a free range headless chicken.

Take away the space and he is simply a useless headless chicken
hes a headless chicken whos pretty useful against weaker sides...can also come up with a goal or two in the big games too which is more than what weve seen from bergwijn..whats bergwijn done other than a volley against city?

neither of them should be near the first 11 in the big games

He understands the game better, making runs that actually open up the defense, his passing is better including his ability to lift his head and see teammates, with the ball he is able to beat defenders not just run straight into them and he has a better shot.

The only thing Moura is better at is jumping, which I give him credit for he is great at, especially considering his height.

Okay, got it.
Basically could have said "I like Bergwijn more than Moura that is why Bergwijn is better than Moura", why coat it?

How else could one explain difference in your obvious parallel-universe ( "Bergwijn has a better shot") to a real world (Moura scoring 9 goals from our 95 this season and Bergwijn scoring 0).

Once more - it could be that overall Bergwijn has some better attributes and all around ability. But in this season, on real pitch, against real opponents Moura has contributed more.

Okay, got it.
Basically could have said "I like Bergwijn more than Moura that is why Bergwijn is better than Moura", why coat it?

How else could one explain difference in your obvious parallel-universe ( "Bergwijn has a better shot") to a real world (Moura scoring 9 goals from our 95 this season and Bergwijn scoring 0).

Once more - it could be that overall Bergwijn has some better attributes and all around ability. But in this season, on real pitch, against real opponents Moura has contributed more.

But if all we do is use counting stats without looking at context then we miss a massive part of what actually happens out there.

Bergwijn has spent a large part of the season being asked to not attack but instead spend most of his time playing a defensive role even though he is lined up as a winger. Are we now going to crap on him because he doesn't put up stats in that role?

Moura was by far the worst player for us today, continually flubbing chances, but because we were on and others were better around him he got gifted a chance to score a goal most of us would have converted, so he gets praise for others set him up?

For me the reality is neither one has been close to good enough in terms of attacking this season so if all Moura has to fall back on is that it shows how weak he is. Bergwijn has been far from good enough but considering what he has been asked to do he has no doubt been better than Moura.

his problem is he does exactly what Jose instructs him to do. Thats why hes been played a lot and why he has been very meh. I think under a different manager you might see a different player altogether.

But if all we do is use counting stats without looking at context then we miss a massive part of what actually happens out there.

Bergwijn has spent a large part of the season being asked to not attack but instead spend most of his time playing a defensive role even though he is lined up as a winger. Are we now going to crap on him because he doesn't put up stats in that role?

Moura was by far the worst player for us today, continually flubbing chances, but because we were on and others were better around him he got gifted a chance to score a goal most of us would have converted, so he gets praise for others set him up?

For me the reality is neither one has been close to good enough in terms of attacking this season so if all Moura has to fall back on is that it shows how weak he is. Bergwijn has been far from good enough but considering what he has been asked to do he has no doubt been better than Moura.

For final time - I also like Bergwijn game reading and overall ability more than Moura. Lucas is running too much head-down and makes wrong decisions often. No one is arguing with it.
But that does not mean that he wouldn't have still contributed more than Bergwijn this season.

"being asked to not attack" - you know it yourself that this is not true, so I won't even elaborate on that too much. Of course he has been given some instructions what to do on field, and it might impact his output. But not drop it to 0. He has been in very good positions to score and we all know that it is not been Mou instruction that "whatever happens, don't score! hit all of them off mark or straight to keeper!"

At least you give final confirmation that you are not even trying to be objecitive with "he got gifted a chance to score a goal most of us would have converted" ... ffs, just say that you don't like Moura and he cannot do well. It was not a tap in. Bergwijn has found himself in better positions many times this season. Yet he is on 0 goals. But you have excuse for it of course "Mou does not want him to attack"...

I am not crapping on Bergwijn.
I am pointing out that he is an attacking player who has scored 0 goals out of 95 team has scored.
And due to that he should right now be the last option to use in attacking position.
That is not saying that he will remain useless forever nor we should sell him nor that I would enjoy him doing badly.

LOL

American typing out of Mom's basement says he could take down a ball instantly from a cross and slam a half volley with his weaker foot past Nick Pope.

New levels of delusion!

Thankfully most people on here can see it, apart from igula which speaks volumes. Steven Bergwijn isn’t good enough. He’s pretty much had half a season where he was played week in week out, in which he contributed nothing. Don’t even bother with banging on about his defensive work ffs, he’s an attacker. Bale comes in his place properly for the last 3.5 games and look at the difference ? Involved in 7 goals in 3.5 games. I count 3.5 as Westham was half a game. The difference is just remarkable between a player of pure class and a player who’s severely lacking in confidence, but also not good enough. Lucas isn’t brilliant, but he is by far a more dangerous weapon than Bergwijn. I want it to work for Bergwijn, but he just looks like a lost puppy out there. I have seen nothing of him all season to suggest he should be on that field.

Last edited:
Didnt even realise he wasnt in the squad yesterday.

Must be about 5th or 6th choice at this point in the forward positions, no goals all season is shocking.
Needs to start contributing more when he gets game time

People rate him because he's Dutch and has good technique while wilfully ignoring his lack of actual contribution in the final third.

Age is also a factor in why people give him a pass but at 23 he really needs to start delivering.

Not writing him off as he has shown glimpses of quality but outside of controlling the ball fairly well, defending and decent one touch layoffs he hasn't shown anything.

He doesn't dribble past people. He isn't pacey. He can't finish, no weak foot.

Needs to do a lot of developing, and fast, if he is to stay here long-term.

Back
Top Bottom