Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really wonder what was said that made him jump up so quick
Soyuncu spoiled the latest series of Line of Duty.

nope-head-shake.gif

I'm all for giving him a run up top with Son out.

He's proven to be dangerous in and around the opponents box.

Seems to get lost playing out wide

yeah it's a highlight video, but always seemed more dangerous down the middle than out wide

Conté seems to see things we don't (initially) being the elite coach that he is. Going off all his interviews/press conferences he definitely seems to be thinking Stevie B's future lies more centrally - essentially being alongside Kane, Son, and Lucas for one of the two starting spots at the front of a 3-5-2. You'd think he'd get better with more minutes building a connection with Kane under a good manager.

Works for me if the market for a (good) striker is shit right now/Vlahovic would be willing to come in the summer but not January.

Conté seems to see things we don't (initially) being the elite coach that he is. Going off all his interviews/press conferences he definitely seems to be thinking Stevie B's future lies more centrally - essentially being alongside Kane, Son, and Lucas for one of the two starting spots at the front of a 3-5-2. You'd think he'd get better with more minutes building a connection with Kane under a good manager.

Works for me if the market for a (good) striker is shit right now/Vlahovic would be willing to come in the summer but not January.
Works for me if and only if we get cover for what is then an absolutely threadbare 3-man midfield.

We'd need at least one, and two if neither Lo Celso or Dele is suited to absorb some minutes in there.

It's not comfort with Bergwijn so much as a feeling that Lucas is better deployed that way that makes me more or less content with that.

It still makes me laugh that Soyuncu was giving it large and then collapsed like the most enormous pussy in the world from Stevie nudging his chest.
:dembelelol:

Works for me if and only if we get cover for what is then an absolutely threadbare 3-man midfield.

We'd need at least one, and two if neither Lo Celso or Dele is suited to absorb some minutes in there.

It's not comfort with Bergwijn so much as a feeling that Lucas is better deployed that way that makes me more or less content with that.

Aye, I'd hope that putting the striker search to one side would allow something like a purchase now for Kessie to be triggered. Who knows, maybe that's one of the reasons that story suddenly gained traction today.

He's not ideal there either.

The player suited for that role is Lo Celso, but alas.

If only there were someone available on the cheap who was winning the league for Conte in that exact position last year... :eriksenserious:
That's Lucas best position imo. Anyone remember he played that role for a period under Mourinho? he played brilliantly and was our best player by a mile.

Think he should get the nod for a few starts and let him try to earn his place in the starting rotation. If he keeps playing well, don’t think we should bring back Son as a sure fire starter. I like the idea of a ‘next man up’ mentality within the team and let the player in form start.

It’ll be interesting to see if he gets a start , I’m sure Conte will assess his fitness but he should get at least 25 mins if he doesn’t start. Chavs seem to tire with 20 to go.

I’d always be wary of us making a transfer decision based on one performance but truth is he has been better lately anyway and football is a game of momentum and confidence.

Vlahovic had scored a mediocre seven goals by the halfway point of last season and was on 9 goals after 26 matches (he played 25, starting every one) so barely better than 1 in 3. It’s not as if he was doing a Berbatov and assisting loads through that time either. Then he gets a hatrick in game 27 (his 26th) against a weak side in Benevento, and proceeds to hit another 9 in the remaining games, giving him 12 in the final 11 matches and 21 totalb for the league and he’s the hottest property in Europe, taking that form into this season too in spectacular fashion.

This time last year I doubt he’d have fetched £15m. Now he’s being talked about for astronomical figures. He has 45 career league goals in 119 matches across 7 years in Serbia and Italy. 29 have come in his last 33 league matches since a hatrick v Benevento on 13/3/21.

As such, given that there’s at least always seemed something to work with, I’d rather we try to harness what will be a huge boost in confidence for Bergwijn until the end of the season at least. If he builds on it for the next 5 months then I’m the summer we’ve either got a very good player who offers us a great attacking option, or if he still wants out a far he’ll fetch a far higher price tag. And if he reverts to previous form and this was a one off, he’s not exactly going to attract less than the £15m Ajax have tried to sign him for this January.

Wonder if by accident we have found his best position ? playing in 2 off the CF ?
If he has his confidence back and starts too put the ball in the net it could be a real bonus to push for top 4. His general play has been pretty good when he has played but the finishing has let him down.

Back
Top Bottom