Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dude's barely off the lower rungs and certainly not high enough to be making all this noise.

Suck it up, move on and speak with your feet, Stevie.

I have no sympathy for this whiner especially after all his recent comments. He’s played well like 3 times his entire time here. Seems like he’s spent more time injured then available.

To really make a point to him if he’s still here this upcoming season. Just never play him despite having 5 subs. Maybe he will learn to never talk to journalists.

Said this before, take away the 3 goals against City and Leicester which were admittedly pretty damn good, what else does he have to show?

Nothing, absolutely zilch.

He's quite clearly a confidence player as you could tell when he potted those two goals at Leicester. The following matches he appeared in, he was trying flicks and taking on his man. He looked a totally different player...for about 3 games and then he was back sulking because Conte didn't select him.

I don't fault the man for wanting regular football so it's best for all parties to move on because he won't be getting it here.

He's quite clearly a confidence player as you could tell when he potted those two goals at Leicester. The following matches he appeared in, he was trying flicks and taking on his man. He looked a totally different player...for about 3 games and then he was back sulking because Conte didn't select him.

I don't fault the man for wanting regular football so it's best for all parties to move on because he won't be getting it here.
He may believe that if he got a lot of time he would develop into a regular starter. Hard to fault a player for that type of confidence. I am always a little suspicious of athletes (in any sport) that are satisfied with the bench.

He may believe that if he got a lot of time he would develop into a regular starter. Hard to fault a player for that type of confidence. I am always a little suspicious of athletes (in any sport) that are satisfied with the bench.
I agree with this 100%. I posted a few weeks ago in here when he first started chatting to the media that I actually prefer the attitude of "If you won't play me then let me go to someone who will" but there is a level of decorum that's needed when pushing for a move because of playing time before you start pissing off the fanbase.

Not that I think he particularly gives a shit as long as he gets his move.

The problem is that he played like 70 games for us, under Mourinho he started week in week out. He had a number of key chances he wasted. E.g. against Liverpool, which truly sunk our season.

Ok he gets benched a bit under Conte, so he wants to go, but why act like it's so unfair?

The problem is that he played like 70 games for us, under Mourinho he started week in week out. He had a number of key chances he wasted. E.g. against Liverpool, which truly sunk our season.

Ok he gets benched a bit under Conte, so he wants to go, but why act like it's so unfair?
Many fans have said Mourinho used him as a defensive forward so he wasn't given enough opportunity to shine. Is there any truth to that? I find that hard to believe. To me Bergwijn just didn't take his chances well enough.

Many fans have said Mourinho used him as a defensive forward so he wasn't given enough opportunity to shine. Is there any truth to that? I find that hard to believe. To me Bergwijn just didn't take his chances well enough.
He did play a more defensive role but still had plenty of chances to score. He scored 1 goal in 21 games in Mourinho's final season.

PEH and Aurier both outscored him.

If you think that's hard do believe you didn't fucking even watched a game under Mourinho.

If you think that's hard do believe you didn't fucking even watched a game under Mourinho.
Well the truth is I didn't watch many games under Mourinho. I also can't recall any memorable performances from Bergwijn other than defensively he did his part I guess. I was simply asking if that was specifically asked of him by Mourinho. My football knowledge is not up to high standards. My bad for even asking a question.

For me, the Leiectser game whilst truly amazing, proves that Bergwijn is at best an impact sub... Which I'm more than happy to see him as.

He doesn't seem to do as well when starting games/playing over 90minutes, but has definitely had more affect on games when coming on...

Problem is, unlike Moura, he doesn't either see himself in that role, or seem to want to  be that role for us...
Maybe 'cos he's had more success starting for Holland and knows what he can do at International level...

Shame, 'cos if he were prepared to stay and be the impact sub, I think he'd have as much, if not more success in that role... Moura does it well, and seems to accept his role in the club.
Some players are 1st team starters, others are squad players (whether they like it or not!)

I guess 'knowing' you're an understudy (like Forster clearly understands) requires maybe a different mindset to thinking if you do well in one game, you're guaranteed a start the following game ... and then bring constantly disappointed when you're dropped.

But he needs to be honest, and realistic ... Who's he gonna replace out of Kulu, Kane or Son??

If it were Chris Armstrong, Ruel Fox or Jason Dozzell keeping him out of the team, I could understand his frustration!!
But it's arguably the most potent, effective front three we've had in years!!

Last edited:
Well the truth is I didn't watch many games under Mourinho. I also can't recall any memorable performances from Bergwijn other than defensively he did his part I guess. I was simply asking if that was specifically asked of him by Mourinho. My football knowledge is not up to high standards. My bad for even asking a question.

Nah you're on the money. He's a mediocre footballer (at best) who had a couple of moments. He had loads of chances and mostly just was anonymous or wasted opportunities. Goodbye to him, hope we get a solid fee & he does well.

It'll be very easy to forget he even played for us.

Nah you're on the money. He's a mediocre footballer (at best) who had a couple of moments. He had loads of chances and mostly just was anonymous or wasted opportunities. Goodbye to him, hope we get a solid fee & he does well.

It'll be very easy to forget he even played for us.
He'll be this generations Moussa Saib!

Back
Top Bottom