Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many years took Son to become what he became?
Not saying Bergwijn will ever be top player, but he's 22 ffs.

He didn't started season well, okay, there is plenty time left until the end..

Some of you lot...

Yeah - I was a huge fan of his when we signed him. Thought his decision making was usually spot on, his movement was excellent and he would help out defensively.

But since he was dropped after putting us 1-0 up against Utd post lockdown, he's been a completely different player.

Before lockdown he started all 5 games in the league since signing (and then started our first game back from lockdown), he's only started 3 of the next 12 games.

Confidence knocked? Most likely. He isn't going to get it back by playing in a dysfunctional eleven made up of players either playing for fitness or playing in rotation.

He'll get it back.

How many years took Son to become what he became?
Not saying Bergwijn will ever be top player, but he's 22 ffs.

He didn't started season well, okay, there is plenty time left until the end..

Some of you lot...
Not writing him off at all, just a bit perplexed as to what is going on. I included the clip above because it showed him bursting with pace and tonight he just looked slow.

Some players - like Hojbjerg - come and bolt out the gates; some - like Bergers - might take a good while before he finds his feet here.

Very good player.

We now have a big enough squad (+depth) to afford him time get to grips, properly.

Some players - like Hojbjerg - come and bolt out the gates; some - like Bergers - might take a good while before he finds his feet here.

Very good player.

We now have a big enough squad (+depth) to afford him time get to grips, properly.
He did some strong out the gates though, he scored a bunch after arriving. He's just dropped off a cliff, very strange.

What I’m worried about is that he seems to have lost a bit of pace. Some of the other things I can see improving with some match sharpness. However, if he’s having a hard time with the pace of Royal Antwerp’s CBs, then he’s got a real problem.

He doesn't influence games enough. Barring two flashes of brilliance since he's been here he's been largely anonymous in games. I think from what I've seen him offer so far I'd give Clarke the same amount of games and see if he can match his 3 goals and 1 assist stat in 20 odd games.

Think he was signed as a no risk, no frills signing. If he developed into a great player - win, if not, we shouldn't lose too much on him or turn a profit.

What I’m worried about is that he seems to have lost a bit of pace. Some of the other things I can see improving with some match sharpness. However, if he’s having a hard time with the pace of Royal Antwerp’s CBs, then he’s got a real problem.
He looks bulkier and i can't be sure it's muscle or just a bit of excess timber. I don't see him looking as explosive as he did last year. Either way he's not been anywhere near as potent and doesn't look a goal threat currently.

Yeah - I was a huge fan of his when we signed him. Thought his decision making was usually spot on, his movement was excellent and he would help out defensively.

But since he was dropped after putting us 1-0 up against Utd post lockdown, he's been a completely different player.

Before lockdown he started all 5 games in the league since signing (and then started our first game back from lockdown), he's only started 3 of the next 12 games.

Confidence knocked? Most likely. He isn't going to get it back by playing in a dysfunctional eleven made up of players either playing for fitness or playing in rotation.

He'll get it back.

He got injured not long after Sonny, mate... Another who was projected to be out until after the (original) end of the season.

Aside from the United goal; he subsequently struggled after lockdown (not helped by being played at CAM a few times IMO), but what's startling to me is that he looks so fucking sluggish this season... One occasion tonight you could tell he tried to sprint but there was just nothing there.

There's every chance he will get back on track, but he really needs to seize what he can of these EL games otherwise he'll just be consigned to battling with Lamela & Lucas & Clarke for game-time and likely drift even further off par.

There's a good player in there.

I actually think he's smarter with the ball than Lucas but hasn't been great this season . he'll come good.

Very underwhelming performances for a while now. Where's the directness to his game gone? Looks slow, ponderous and indecisive. Needs to take opportunities like tonight to impress but failed miserably.

He looks bulkier and i can't be sure it's muscle or just a bit of excess timber. I don't see him looking as explosive as he did last year. Either way he's not been anywhere near as potent and doesn't look a goal threat currently.
I reckon he's been looking at the now transformed Ndombele's dinner plate and saying "Ain't you going to eat that bruv ?"

Back
Top Bottom