Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really don't understand what people are seeing in him

It's not just his dreadful finishing , there were a number of occasions today where his pass was completely off and in good positions too

He has some areas to work on (finishing and composure), but he plays for a few reasons:

1) defensive workrate (only lamela compares)
2) best counter attacking option - he picks the right pass and makes intelligent off ball runs that open space for H and S (who do the scoring)

Lucas can shoot and dribble (sometimes), but makes shit runs and decisions.

Bale does no work defensively and less pace.

Lamela went to the dele school of counter attacking which involves taking 50 touches and ruining the play.

Dele - see above.

Bergwijn is less experienced than all of them but in time will be better than each (not counting prime bale).

Others options are just a fucking waste for the budget and quotas ..
He was never expected to be the 1st choice this season .

Not 100% fit. Should he even be playing or does he just need to toughen up?

Mourinho on Bergwijn​

"He's having a lot of little physical problems. Even in the last 10 minutes he was touching his groin and adductor muscle a lot. It's preventing him from training sometimes. He's giving very good things for the team though and the goals will come."
Jose knows.

And it's even more incredible, really.

He still ran his balls off all day and has done so in all recent appearances.

Here is a comparison between Bergwijn and Son's first years for Spurs in the Prem:

Son Heung-Min
28 games (13 starts)
4 goals
1 assist

Steven Bergwijn
25 games (15 starts)
3 goals
2 assists

Maybe he just needs a bit of time and a bit of confidence?

Both the exact same age too at the time they joined Tottenham (Actually, Bergwijn was a little bit younger)

Although I completely agree with this and the fact that we should give him some time.. I think the worry/criticism is on his current (2nd) season. Compare his 2nd season to Son's 2nd season and that is where you will start to see a much bigger difference.

However I am all for giving him more time. We really need a player who plays on our RW position to cement a spot. And Stevie has the most potential given his age.. I think he will possibly be in and out of the team for most of this season (but used more often as a starter).. and by then hopefully his future here will be more clear.

Although I completely agree with this and the fact that we should give him some time.. I think the worry/criticism is on his current (2nd) season. Compare his 2nd season to Son's 2nd season and that is where you will start to see a much bigger difference.

However I am all for giving him more time. We really need a player who plays on our RW position to cement a spot. And Stevie has the most potential given his age.. I think he will possibly be in and out of the team for most of this season (but used more often as a starter).. and by then hopefully his future here will be more clear.

Whilst yes, it has been technically his second season here.

He's still not even been at the club one full year.

Add to that injuries, COVID, lockdown etc. It's hardly an ideal situation.

I think once a goal comes. His confidence will rise and he'll score more. He's still the only person (along with VDV) who's scored in their first 3 starts at WHL.

Here is a comparison between Bergwijn and Son's first years for Spurs in the Prem:

Son Heung-Min
28 games (13 starts)
4 goals
1 assist

Steven Bergwijn
25 games (15 starts)
3 goals
2 assists

Maybe he just needs a bit of time and a bit of confidence?

Both the exact same age too at the time they joined Tottenham (Actually, Bergwijn was a little bit younger)

Good comparison. Thanks for posting it

IMO Bergwijn is far more like Son than Moura or Lamela are. And like Son by continuing to plat him he will come good and more productive than the other two.

Good engine on him too, takes pressure off Kane and Son with his constant running

He’s doing exactly what you love to see a player going through a bit of a funk doing, working hard for the team and making an impact besides in front of goal.

He’s in the stereotypical “just needs one to bounce in off him” phase. Once he gets the confidence back, he’ll be just fine.

Still think we need another player to compete with the front three in the summer. Lucas and Lamela’s days feel a bit numbered considering age and injury history. Plus Bale is a total question mark.

Bergwijn is good enough to get in positions with his movement and passing to fuck up his scoring opportunities. The goals will come.
A non-clinical player that gets into these positions while offering a fair bit of defensive cover is still worth something.

Teams might not worry about him like they do with Son/Kane but they can't exactly leave him to his own devices either. No sensible manager will just trust that he's not gonna score.

Not sure it’s just the fine details to be honest, looks poor in the final third - zero assists or goals this season. Tracks back well, but we need a lot more from that wide position, and had he taken even a quarter of his chances this season we would be better placed. Zero assists and goals I’ll admit doesn’t tell the whole story, but he has been a disappointment for me this year.

Not sure it’s just the fine details to be honest, looks poor in the final third - zero assists or goals this season. Tracks back well, but we need a lot more from that wide position, and had he taken even a quarter of his chances this season we would be better placed. Zero assists and goals I’ll admit doesn’t tell the whole story, but he has been a disappointment for me this year.
In fairness he needs a better right back to be overlapping with him. Today there was an occasion were he had the ball and Doherty needed to just make a run ahead of him for a pass....but Doherty starting trotting backwards instead 🤦🏻‍♂️. Maybe someone has the stats of how many times he has started with Doherty over Serge?

I think we can all see the stuff that he does well. However, he's a forward and badly needs to start contributing in terms of goals/assists.
Unfortunately, there's no-one (Bale, Moura, Lamela) I can honestly say has proven that much better thus far.
Frustrating as need to take the load off Kane and Son.

I really don't understand what people are seeing in him

It's not just his dreadful finishing , there were a number of occasions today where his pass was completely off and in good positions too

couldn’t agree more mate. All you get when people try to defend him is “ he’s one of Jose’s workers and he defends well”. I don’t give a fuck about his defending, I want the guy to be an important part of our attacking play. Fair play he done well to get the penalty, but apart from that, he constantly misses easy chances. He gives the ball away consistently. Bang average player.

He is still finding himself in goalscoring positions which is encouraging and always puts a shift in.

If he can improve on his end product he could brilliant. I think we’re all so used to big money signings being flops recently but think he could well come good.

Still surprised he’s getting so much stick. How many times over the years has a player needed a season or two to get in the swing of things. Most obvious comparison is Son. Give him time. There’s a few areas on the pitch that we need to improve but RW is not in the top 3

Back
Top Bottom