Steven Caulker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I missing something? We are, apparently, about to bid a lot of money for / buy Samba (who looks a great player).

However, Stephen Caulker is now being talked about as a likely England player. OK, we may have to wait until the end of the season to get him back, but I feel that we do have enough centre-back options to in the meantime.

Even if Samba comes in, Bassong is likely to go - so surely it would be better to spend on a forward where we are light...

it's not one or the other, we prob are after 2 players

BUT on the forward front there are not many strikers around that are
A. for sale
B. affordable
c. good enough

back to defence
we have gallas for another year?(he said he is off to MLS/dubai for a payday next season)
you couldnt put any money on king being around for ever, hes doing well this season, but you never know when it will go bad,

so swapping bassong (not good enough) for samba is an improvment, and the only limit would be cash, which we have, and he shouldnt cost the world

caulker will come into the equation next season as I am sure Old Bill will be off and King is King

so if seabass is off then does make sense to bring in someone- or bring in someone and get rid of seabass - in that order as knowing how we do things we will not get around to brinmg ing some one in

actually- I assume push come to shove we can recall Caulker at anytime likewise Naughton?

usually you cant recall loans within the premiership,

otherwise however little threat city deam us, they could recall adeybayor do scupper our chances just after the transfer window closes

Don't think we can recall Caulker based on the fact that it would be deemed tactical (much like City recalling Adebayor).

Why would Samba come to us to sit on the bench? If hes gonna come he's going to want to be ahead of Kaboul Daws gallas and King. I know we have injury problems but I cant see Harry just benching the likes of Dawson. Maybe Gallas. Definately not King and Kaboul.

Samba and Kaboul would be quite a beastly pairing come to think of it but im just not sure it will happen.

i dont think any player would come to spurs thinking they would walk into the team with the current standard of players, although most footballers are arrogant, so have self belief they will break into the 1st team if given the chance

samba is currently playing for a poor team, thats owned by a joke,

he could come to spurs and not play every week, but play for one of the most exicitng teams this season.

he probs realise he wont be first choice immediatly, but next year with CL (touching wood) and prem and 2 domestic cups we will have a lot of games once again, so he will play a lot. and injuries will come this year,

spooky said:
Don't think we can recall Caulker based on the fact that it would be deemed tactical (much like City recalling Adebayor).
Can anyone send me to a link regarding the rules about loans? In the Jan/ITK thread, someone said that a team can't have more than three players coming in on loan, but the PL Handbook suggests the number is four, but no more than two at once.

Similarly, I don't see anything in the Handbook regarding recalls. Yet elsewhere (while googling this answer), I've seen that "if there's a loan fee paid, the player cannot be recalled." And now we have this about "tactical" recalls being allowed.

The Handbook provides for emergency loans of keepers, but nothing seems appropriate for outfield players, and the emergency loan of a keeper is still different from a recall and requires permission from "the Board."

The FA Handbook, otoh, has nothing else to say about recalls other than this:

In the event of a Player under temporary transfer being recalled in accordance with the rules of the league or leagues concerned, a copy of the recall letter or notice must be received and acknowledged by The Association before the Player can play for the Club initiating the recall.
Which implies that, since there are no rules governing recalls in the PL Handbook, there are no rules governing recalls at all (fee paid, "tactical"), further suggesting that recalls are part of the loan contract signed between the two clubs, which means, ultimately, we have no idea if Caulker could come back or not…

Does it look like a deal for Samba is any closer? Everything I've read suggests he's closer to a move to QPR or PSG than us.

You'd think he would be a relatively simple signing (compared to the stuff we usually try and pull) and we would have made a more concrete move by now?

Maybe Caulker stepping up and doing so well has taken the pressure off buying a CB and the club are happy they can cope for the rest of the season and adding him to the mix next year.

sooty said:
Even if Samba comes in, Bassong is likely to go - so surely it would be better to spend on a forward where we are light...

Our defence made Samba look like a world class striker when he was instrumental in Blackburn beating us 2-1 a couple of seasons ago.

I think we need someone like Samba, irrespective of whether Caulker stays with us next season than on loan. Bassong wants out of Spurs, Gallas said he wants to move to the US/UAE for money in the Summer, and I love Ledley King but we can't rely on him forever. Who does that leave? Dawson, Kaboul and Caulker. We currently have 5 CB's on the books not including Caulker, so we definitely need another if Bassong and Gallas go in the Summer, and something happens to King. I'm not 100% sure Dawson is quite good enough for a CL campaign and perhaps even a push at the title next season. If that's also been concluded by Harry, then Samba is a logical choice.

Flannerz said:
If a team has paid a loan fee for a player then he can't be recalled
Can you please provide a link to something official that indicates that? I've tried to find this sort of rule in both the FA Hanbook and the PL Handbook (see my post above) and found nothing, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

So, after his great loan spell at Swansea, we have a dilemma to deal with....

Would you keep Caulker here for next season or loan him back out to Swansea or someone else?

Personally, I'd keep him around and play him in the Europa League, League Cup & early stages of the FA Cup.

Would have thought he'd want to start. Probably a new contract if he hasn't signed one and another loan?

I'd play him in the 'lower' prem games. He was very competent for Swansea and I don't see why he couldn't play, 5-7 premier league games, fill in for the ageing defence and play in the cups!

Back
Top Bottom