Strikers for next season poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you see our striker situation for next season?

• Adebayor - First Choice

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Adebayor - Squad

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • Adebayor - Sell

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Defoe - First Choice

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Defoe - Squad

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • Defoe - Sell

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Kane - First Choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kane - Squad

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • Kane - Sell

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Obika - First Choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obika - Squad

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Obika - Sell

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Dempsey should be in this poll

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • We need one new first choice striker

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • We need two new first choice strikers

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • We need one new squad striker

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • We need two new squad strikers

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
Bring in a good first choice striker, keep Ade, Sell Defoe, get another squad striker, and let Kane go out on loan, but only to a prem club.

I've gone for;

Adebayor (Sell)
Defoe (Sell)
Kane (Squad)
Obika (Sell)
Dempsey should be in this poll
& finally, we need two new first choice strikers.

Im a bit biased to keeping Kane because of relative/family reasons.
He isnt related to me sorry, just to clarify. He is going out with one of my family members.

Your Mum?

I would join in if this were just for shit n giggle, but as some people seem to be taking this very seriously I see no point in voting as I am not actually qualified to pass judgement.

Especially as:
I have not been to any of the training sessions.
I have not seen their training stats.
I have no knowledge of the psychometric make up or profile.
I do not set the plans for the long term strategy of the club from a performance perspective.
I have no knowledge of our budget.
I have no knowledge of any details within the current contractual arrangements.
I have not seen the scouting network reports.

And perhaps but most importantly I am not a football manager who holds an actual Fifa Pro Licence.

What a waste of time reading that was.

The same way Bale was a few years back?
Don't write him off, at this moment in time he many not be great but I'm sure he could be a squad player in a season or two.

Are you seriously comparing Bale and Kane. Have a day off mate.

I have seen plenty of Kane and can tell you now he is not good enough.

Bale always showed some promise but never quite got going until a couple of years back.

Are you seriously comparing Bale and Kane. Have a day off mate.

I think he's comparing the situation - NOT the players per se.

Not so long ago many qunts ACTUALLY believed the 'curse' was real and were happy to loan him off to Forest and cut our losses.

Until Kane is given a decent consecutive run games in the PL (not Reserves) - personally I'd be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt rather than potentially falling victim to the NOW society of instant gratification and results

I think he's comparing the situation - NOT the players per se.

Not so long ago many qunts ACTUALLY believed the 'curse' was real and were happy to loan him off to Forest and cut our losses.

Until Kane is given a decent consecutive run games in the PL (not Reserves) - personally I'd be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt rather than potentially falling victim to the NOW society of instant gratification and results

That's not at all what I am doing but from what I have seen of him playing at Championship level, he is not good enough.

I guess only time will tell.

Millwall fans that I know were not best impressed by him either.

Hahah. He only won their young player of the year award and was banging in crucial goals for fun.
They wasnt possibly saying this AFTER he finished his loan stint, and went to Leicester, could it?

My cousins are Leicester fans so I have been to see him a few times at the KP this season

If you know him fairly well, then you'll know he is being played way out of position by their manager to accomodate the masses of egotistical and overpaid strikers.

If we can move Adebayor's contract, I think that would be a wise choice by Levy. Solid at hold-up which he has shown in the past month, but still not nearly good enough from a pure striker perspective and bagging goals.

I would love to keep Defoe if he is cool w/ a reduced role as a Super Sub and spot starts.

Dempsey would be just fine for me as a Squad player, but not ideal for AVB's 4-3-3 and possession-oriented attack.

I think one complete striker is a Must and we all know the names out there who will fit the bill. Really, the last barrier for this club taking that massive step to the next level.

That's not at all what I am doing but from what I have seen of him playing at Championship level, he is not good enough.

I guess only time will tell.

All I'm saying he's still 19 and hasn't even finished his development/formative years yet - not a single coach I know would write off a player that young

Hahah. He only won their young player of the year award and was banging in crucial goals for fun.
They wasnt possibly saying this AFTER he finished his loan stint, and went to Leicester, could it?

If you know him fairly well, then you'll know he is being played way out of position by their manager to accomodate the masses of egotistical and overpaid strikers.

He scored 5 goals at Millwall hardly "Banging them in for fun".

In the games I have seen him at Leicester he has played up top.

We will see what happens but my personal opinion is he is not good enough.

I would join in if this were just for shit n giggle, but as some people seem to be taking this very seriously I see no point in voting as I am not actually qualified to pass judgement.

Especially as:
I do not set the plans for the long term strategy of the club from a performance perspective.

And perhaps but most importantly I am not a football manager who holds an actual Fifa Pro Licence.

Especially as:

Why are you even posting on a football forum then - I bet you haven't managed any professional football sides either or had any caps for England?

Good point that, some Millwall fan I know (not your typical Millwall fan he's a bit of a gimp) was up his arse when he played for them and as soon as he went to Leicester he went on about how shit he was

zin

Supporter
Last year I included people like VDV, Dos Santos and Falque in this list and called it forwards, those kind of players are now in the attacking midfielder/winger poll (Dempsey included). This poll is, judging by AVB's formations talking about the central striker in the team only.

As this is a short list I've included Obika and Kane who got very little game time this season.

If you want anyone loaned out just select squad.

Contract Expiry
Emmanuel Adebayor - 2015 or 2016 (not clear)
Jermain Defoe - 2015
Harry Kane - 2017
Jonathan Obika - 2014

Other professionals
Simon Dawkins
Cameron Lancaster
Souleymane Coulibaly

Last Year's Voting (number of votes - players in red no longer at club)
[1st Choice]
Van der Vaart - 42
Two New Forwards - 28
One New Forward - 26
Adebayor - 22
Saha - 1
Defoe - 1
Dos Santos - 1
Falque - 0

[Squad]
Falque - 32
Defoe - 25
Saha - 23
Dos Santos - 14
One New Forward - 12
Adebayor - 9
Van der Vaart - 3
Two New Forwards - 0

[Sell/Release/Don't Buy]
Dos Santos - 35
Saha - 27
Defoe - 25
Adebayor - 20
Falque - 13
Van der Vaart - 0

[Other]
Van der Vaart - should be used as a right sided midfielder - 7
Falque - should be used as a right sided midfielder - 6
Dos Santos - should be used as a right sided midfielder - 3

A position we seem to be struggling with and hope to finally address. We ended up selling the only person nobody wanted sold and buying Adebayor who a number of people didn't want either. Saha was released although a number of people wanted him to stick around as a squad player and Defoe stayed with opinion split down the middle as to whether he should stay as a squad player or be sold.

Dos Santos was finally sold and Falque was sent out on loan after a couple of good performances for Spurs this season.

Back
Top Bottom