Strikers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just an observation.

Do people think its becoming harder to be a top class front player? It seems like every club is looking for a striker that can take them to the next level. Look at us. Adebuyor is a class above what we had but why did he take so long to find.

Also looking around I can't think of many (if any) people I'd like to replace him with who might be available and are genuinely better. Crouch went to stoke for 10m and was seen as an upgrade on what they had previously and it seems the eternal question for teams in the lower half of the league is where are the goals coming from.

Is it the pace of our league or has is become harder to position to play in?

Using Spurs and our perpetual attempts to find the top class striker we have needed since Defoe and Keane left for the first time

Being linked with both Anelka and Drogba by various papers this morning. Redknapp has been quoted as saying that Anelka 'isn't a bad shout'... its about that time in the transfer window when he starts to make all those little noises that give us a hint of what might be next.

I think the trouble has been that the strikers that we have needed to make us progress as a club/team, have always been lured by the instant gratification of a big salaries, signing on fees, and silverware.

As a result we have been able to get good strikers, but not those top class guys who are holding out for a BIG move. We aren't a big club for these guys - big clubs pay big wages. I don't agree with this, its just the way it is.

This is why have signed some of the players we have. Adebayor and VdV were both a case of being in the right place at the right time. Financially we were able to pull it off because Man City wanted rid and were prepared to pay some of his wages. Similarly Chelsea may be quite keen to get rid of Drogba and Anelka (not saying they are what we need, or that we will sign them, just using it as an example) and as a result we can sign them at a good price and maybe on a reasonable wage, with a good signing on fee making up some of the difference. But like I have said in another thread, I would prefer to be paying £15-20M on an up and coming striker who will want to work hard and hang around for 5 years or so... in much the same way as we did with Modric I guess.

Until we are prepared to pay £120k+ on wages I think it is unlikely that we will attract the BIG name players, but we will be able to get those up and coming - Damiao for example. It makes financial sense for the club to spend money on these players and pay a £70k weekly wage. If a player performs well then we can sell for silly money, or keep hold of and watch them bang in the goals and watch the trophies and money roll in. But again it is down to timing, sometimes the players aren't available, other time yo miss an opportunity and the price doubles in transfer window

The world is now watching our league and players want to come and play in it. Smaller clubs aren't just competing against the best players in Britain, but the best in the world, and it has raised the quality to another level. This is why fewer and fewer players seem to get transfers from lower divisions in to the premiership (unless they are promoted and gain experience).

But i think Strikers have always been like this. As a kid there was always the guy who was the BEST striker in the world - Maradona, Fat Ronaldo etc and it took a certain type of club to be able to attract these players.

As Sibs says, strikers win football matches and as such cost big bucks in transfer fees, salary, bonuses etc. The really good one's that can win games on their own like Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo etc are so far beyond our financial limits it's unfathomable.

Then imagine what it's like if you're a team other than United, Chelsea, City or Liverpool. Even though Woolwich pay large salaries I'd put them in a similar bracket to us with regards to all the other costs. They look to buy a cheaper striker in the hope that they'll come good and become world class (van Persie).

The really scary thing is when people talk about defenders like Cahill costing more than £10m!!!

Top Class replies and I agree wholeheartedly.

Still think the knock on effect down the chain (we're lucky to be upper middle management) is awful, as players that can score will never stay at decent club long enough for them to make a transition into a bigger club. If were not careful this league will be become as predictable as Scotland.

This is a sad state of affairs. Don't know who to blame but when I find out gawd 'elp em.

I think relatively it's always been the same. I certainly can't think of a time when a new season started and you weren't pretty certain that the champions wouldn't come from one of 2/3 teams. I know what you're saying though with regards to good strikers but the same could be said about good players full stop. If you're good you'll be snapped up/stolen/tapped up/bribed etc into joining a bigger/better/wealthier/champions league club.

It's the football food chain, and thankfully we're in the enviable position of only have a few meat eaters above us.

Strikers are more of a premium now because most teams only play one. When it used to be two, you could cope with a ropey one, but no longer.

With most teams playing 451 or 433 modern day strikers need to hold the ball up and link play as well as score goals. In a 442 the 'poacher' can play off their strike partner. Players like Darren Bent limit how a team can play and make them predictable. He needs players to create chances for him, he won't create them himself or score from range. Van Nistelrooy scored shit loads for Man Utd, but they won more when he left

Back
Top Bottom