Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's all hypothetical at the moment, seeing as we're apparently not in for him. I don't think he'd be happy to sit on the bench and stall his career right when it's hitting his prime.
Are we not in for him because we are not interested though? Or because we have to move a striker out before we can bring one in according to our business model? It would be frustrating if he signs for Newcastle and then Soldado leaves and it was just a cash flow issue.

Yes and we should pay our strikers their market value as well. What's your point?
Why are we considering Charlie Austin, a decent premier league player but no world beater, too good to be our second striker?
He might not be a world beater, but which of our targets could be described that way? Definitely not Llorente.

Simple fact of the matter is we are being left further behind by the "Top 4" and Liverpool in this transfer window....... I really do believe we will struggle for top 6 if Pochetino doesnt get his finger out! squad no where near big or experienced enough for a whole season,

This is a forum all about opinions though and this is mine, i'm not just being a negative c@nt i do genuinely fear for the season ahead

He might not be a world beater, but which of our targets could be described that way? Definitely not Llorente.
None that I've seen, agreed. That's my point, we are being linked with realistic players. If we're too good for Austin, or he's too good to be on our bench, we're looking at the Jamie Vardy end of the market. And I don't mean to slag off Vardy, he's OK.

Arda Turan, even for 6 months, is a fucking coup. Yes!

Could also play the long con, and when he's done with Barca in a few years, we'd become an option.

On Kaboul, like Daws, wish him nowt but the best. He was shite towards the end, but that is completely overlooked for just how good he was before that.

Not quite a legend, but not far off. Big up Younes!
and maybe get Adama Traoue* for the remaining six months?

*disclaimer. I've never seen him play but he's class on FM

Surely the point is that we don't want someone who is happy to sit on the bench. We want a player who is good enough to start, keep Kane on his toes, and be good enough when called upon, which could be far more than is being assumed/considered, to do the business.

Austin fits that criteria, and I doubt he would choose Newcastle over Tottenham. I'll offer three reasons why not; he gets to stay in London. Play with a far better team. Not have to live in Newcastle.
Keeping Kane on his toes and being good enough when called upon means someone happy with being on the bench.

You don't get one of these without the other.

I think people are mistaking "happy to be on the bench" to mean someone with no talent or ambition. What I mean by that is someone who won't act the cunt if they don't play every minute.

Well it's all hypothetical at the moment, seeing as we're apparently not in for him. I don't think he'd be happy to sit on the bench and stall his career right when it's hitting his prime.
This may well be true, and i get the logic but I reckon he'd be a mug to choose barcodes over us if the choice came up.

Are we not in for him because we are not interested though? Or because we have to move a striker out before we can bring one in according to our business model? It would be frustrating if he signs for Newcastle and then Soldado leaves and it was just a cash flow issue.

I don't know, someone involved in the transfer dealings at the club would know more than me. At this moment though, I don't see how we're linked to him, apart from a few shitty websites mentioning the clubs name alongside a few others.

Yes and we should pay our strikers their market value as well. What's your point?
Why are we considering Charlie Austin, a decent premier league player but no world beater, too good to be our second striker?

I don't think anyone is saying he's too good, my point was why would HE want to move to us when he needs/wants to be first choice at a club somewhere else. He's just had a breakthrough season, got an England call up and is in the public eye much more now, why would he take the opportunity to play second fiddle to both the media's and Tottenham's darling, Harry Kane.

Simple fact of the matter is we are being left further behind by the "Top 4" and Liverpool in this transfer window....... I really do believe we will struggle for top 6 if Pochetino doesnt get his finger out! squad no where near big or experienced enough for a whole season,

This is a forum all about opinions though and this is mine, i'm not just being a negative c@nt i do genuinely fear for the season ahead

Not sure you can blame Pochettino if any transfers don't happen, pretty well known the people who do the dealing our Levy and/or Baldini.

Keeping Kane on his toes and being good enough when called upon means someone happy with being on the bench.

You don't get one of these without the other.

I think people are mistaking "happy to be on the bench" to mean someone with no talent or ambition. What I mean by that is someone who won't act the cunt if they don't play every minute.
Nicely put. With two good and reliable strikers we can rotate, avoid injury better. Seville, a club I consider to be an interim role model for us, had two very decent strikers playing alternately in a single striker formation.
Edit: Bacca and Gameiro that is, just under 50 goals between them last season.

Is that true?

I lowballed it actually. 200k per week for rvp, Falcao was 250 and Rooney was 300.

The basis of my argument though is no player will go sit on a bench after a breakthrough season. If they do it will be for a high wage. Which we wont offer. We need to find an unproven gem who thinks he has a chance to usurp kane. Austin isn't that player.

Llorente is more likely to be happy sat on the bench because he will be on a high wage and is at the tail end of his career.

I'm not saying we are too good for Austin or that he is too good for our bench. I'm saying he is unlikely to want to sit on our bench when Newcastle are likely to play him when he is fit. Unless he is a one season wonder, then we have dodged a bullet.

He bullied our team the whole time when we played them at home this season, a constant threat and nuisance
So, he was awesome because he was bullying our defence and a nuisance? So, that's one game where he bullied our defence and was a nuisance, and the one game he actually scored against us, that constitutes being awesome against us?
I suppose we have different interpretations of the word awesome.

None that I've seen, agreed. That's my point, we are being linked with realistic players. If we're too good for Austin, or he's too good to be on our bench, we're looking at the Jamie Vardy end of the market. And I don't mean to slag off Vardy, he's OK.
I agree, and also have no problem with Vardy, but I don't think you can compare him with Kane and Austin.

Kane scored 21 league goals last season, Austin scored 18 in a much worse team. Both of them are going to be marked much more tight next season. I don't see why Austin would see himself as a worse player than Kane, he would fight for the starting spot.

Vardy scored 5 goals in all competitions, though he is not a central striker but that is less than half of the number Chadli and Eriksen scored (Andros Townsend also scored 5, but in fewer games than Vardy).

I lowballed it actually. 200k per week for rvp, Falcao was 250 and Rooney was 300.

The basis of my argument though is no player will go sit on a bench after a breakthrough season. If they do it will be for a high wage. Which we wont offer. We need to find an unproven gem who thinks he has a chance to usurp kane. Austin isn't that player.

Llorente is more likely to be happy sat on the bench because he will be on a high wage and is at the tail end of his career.

I'm not saying we are too good for Austin or that he is too good for our bench. I'm saying he is unlikely to want to sit on our bench when Newcastle are likely to play him when he is fit. Unless he is a one season wonder, then we have dodged a bullet.
Lol - read it as £600k each. As to your other points, I agree it's a difficult balancing act - finding someone we'll be happy with who is willing to play 2nd fiddle is going to be a hard sell to someone.

I never said we didn't need another striker fighting for a place in the first team. I said we are going to struggle to find a striker good enough to fight for a place, who would be willing to actually fight for a place.

Strikers are more often than not egomaniacs who need nothing more than a slap on the arse and told they are going to be first choice whenever they are fit. Any striker worth spending a decent amount of money on won't be content to play the occasional Europa League or League Cup game, they will want a long run in the team so they can grab 20/30 goals a season.

Never once have I said that we have another Harry Kane waiting in the wings. If anything, I'm one of the few who isn't too deluded about Pritchard, who I believe if we are lucky, will hit Townsend levels of greatness. I hope I'm wrong on that one, but I'm not putting any eggs in that basket.

But do enlighten me, who are the strikers good enough for our first team who will gladly play in our Europa League, League Cup and FA Cup Games?

I agree. We can't expect to buy Benteke, or someone with a similar level of reputation and experience, and expect him to be willing and happy to play the odd cup game and be ready to step in if Harry gets injured. And after last season, we can't expect Harry to go back to his backup status.

What we need to do, is look for some up and coming talent in a smaller league, like the dutch or swiss. There you might find someone with the attitude needed - willing to fight and work hard in training, and taking every opportunity he gets, in cups etc., to show what he can do.

Low risk with great potential upside. Suarez, Bony and brazilian Ronaldo are three examples of a fuckton of amazing talents to go big through the dutch league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom