Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're too similar to play together. Three at the back or not.

And, again, you want the boy to swap their bench for ours... No chance of that happening.
Is he even really on their bench though? If Jesus is now getting in the way of Aguero then surely Icheanacho has no chance of getting minutes?

LOL Real already have a draw bridge down for talking to our players, remember the 'special' partnership deal. We sign your best players and give you nothing in return.... :levyeyes:

Unless it's a swap deal sending aging Ronaldo to us in return for Kane and Alli.
In fairness, that deal is cancelled now. Thank fuck.

Not like Madrid needs any kind of partnership to poach whatever player they like, mind you.

Manager who puts massive faith in youngsters?

English Core?

Stadium deal with Nike you say?

maxresdefault.jpg

LOL Real already have a draw bridge down for talking to our players, remember the 'special' partnership deal. We sign your best players and give you nothing in return.... :levyeyes:

Would be funny if our improvements since AVB was binned was due to Real sharing some secrets/cheats on how to get ahead in football.

i.e. giving Harry Kane and Danny Rose a magical recipe to make them world class.

:pocheyes:

Weird thing about that Jesus transfer is this:

Imagine you're Enes Unal, or Iheanacho, never mind Bony. You're playing and scoring regularly for either the first team (Iheanacho) or ripping it up on loan (Unal), then they go and buy another player younger than you, and make him first choice.

You'd surely see that as a hint that you're better off elsewhere, right? AVB, Sherwood and Poch all said they wanted to keep the unproven Kane as a backup, which I think we all went apeshit at, but look how it worked out. They knew their onions.

i wouldn't mind going for adama traore in the summer. he's almost like a supercharged version of dembele in that it's almost impossible to get the ball off him and with the added bonus of being lightning quick. obviously his decision making and final ball isn't great at the moment but under the right guidance, he could turn out to be some player

15 appearances this season in the PL, only 3 less than Aguero.
If anyone's going to fall victim of Jesus's amazing form, it's going to be Aguero. For some reason Pep doesn't seem to fancy him.
Only 5 premier league starts compared to 10 substitute appearances though. 14 starts, on the other hand, for Aguero.

And his playing time will have been boosted by Aguero deciding to get himself banned twice in the first half of the season.

But yeah, Pep does seem to be cooling on Aguero a little now. Perhaps his ego wants to develop a young player instead.

Iheanacho is dying to go from being second/third choice in Manchester to being second choice with us, right?

And Kane out of it?

Why would Kane have to be out of it?

Look at all the top teams in the world, they all have at least two top strikers. It's shown how much we lack when Kane is injured. Imagine if he was injured for a long period of time. Or when we have Cup games and European games.

Players may well look and think I'll have to challenge Kane to be number one striker.. some might relish that, others might not. What difference would they get at Chelsea or City? They'd have more of a chance at Tottenham of getting first team opportunities and starting games.. look at Alli. He could of signed for someone who he knew he'd start for immediately, but instead took on a challenge, which he's reaped the benefits from.

Players like Iheanacho, Rashford, Martial even Lacazette could learn a lot from playing with players like Kane and Eriksen, but also a lot from Poch and his staff. We are a very attractive team, with a top new stadium, good wages and are fighting for titles. We're no longer that stepping stone team, we're amongst the Premier League big guns now, and we need to sign players who are capable of matching our ambitions.

'Drops the mic'

Last edited:
'Drops the mic'
*prematurely*

Why would Kane have to be out of it?
Because (1) to fund the purchase of Martial, we'll have to sell Kane. To United probably. And (2) as i said earlier, Iheanacho and Kane are too similar to play together.

Look at all the top teams in the world, they all have at least two top strikers.
Unlike those top teams, for the time being we can't afford a TOP benchwarmer.

Players may well look and think I'll have to challenge Kane to be number one striker.. some might relish that, others might not. What difference would they get at Chelsea or City? They'd have more of a chance at Tottenham of getting first team opportunities and starting games.. look at Alli. He could of signed for someone who he knew he'd start for immediately, but instead took on a challenge, which he's reaped the benefits from.
Let's not wander off topic. Iheanacho. Name one viable reason why he would want to swap their bench for ours? How is fighting for a spot with Kane more alluring than what he already has?

Players like Iheanacho, Rashford, Martial even Lacazette could learn a lot from playing with players like Kane and Eriksen, but also a lot from Poch and his staff.
Just like you, I'm Spurs, but this is some delusional bullshit you're talking. Learning from Kane and Eriksen, who have won fuck all yet? Same for our coach.
Iheanacho, Rashford and Martial play with and under national and Champions league winners.

Basically, what i'm saying is let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're a good side, we play attractive football, but we're not at the buying-players-from-United-City-Chelsea level (yet).

Basically, what i'm saying is let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're a good side, we play attractive football, but we're not at the buying-players-from-United-City-Chelsea level (yet).

I think we are and can be. Maybe we haven't signed players for fees like they have, but being able to tie Lloris, Alli, Kane, Rose, Vertonghen and Eriksen down to new deals is massive. All of them would get into every team in the Premier League.

Signings like Sissoko and Janssen aren't good enough for a team like us. We need to be going for players who are world class, able to take us to the next level.

Not yet but both may come good under Poch

Can't fault either for effort or commitment

i wouldn't mind going for adama traore in the summer. he's almost like a supercharged version of dembele in that it's almost impossible to get the ball off him and with the added bonus of being lightning quick. obviously his decision making and final ball isn't great at the moment but under the right guidance, he could turn out to be some player
He's lightning but his final product is one of the worst in the League. Really, really bad. Don't think he'll ever be at our level unfortunately.

He's lightning but his final product is one of the worst in the League. Really, really bad. Don't think he'll ever be at our level unfortunately.
Was terrified that he'd buck the trend against us - but it was hilarious when they brought his stats up at the weekend and showed he'd done the second highest number of dribbles in the league but with zero assists or goals to show for it.

Seem to recall 'Arry calling it out and saying it showed he was poor.

I've mentioned my personal wish for this transfer to happen, but the rumblings around us and Mahrez do make me wonder if we'll go on to sign him in the summer.

Report: Spurs made Riyad Mahrez enquiry

This wouldn't be unlike how we tried to get Wanyama last January, were unsuccessful, but retained our interest into the following window and snapped him up pretty quickly.
Our scouting network may be a mess, but this could be one target we follow through on.

I've mentioned my personal wish for this transfer to happen, but the rumblings around us and Mahrez do make me wonder if we'll go on to sign him in the summer.

This wouldn't be unlike how we tried to get Wanyama last January, were unsuccessful, but retained our interest into the following window and snapped him up pretty quickly.
Our scouting network may be a mess, but this could be one target we follow through on.
How's he look this season now that the fairytale has ended? I've heard fuck all about anything he's done this season.

Weird thing about that Jesus transfer is this:

Imagine you're Enes Unal, or Iheanacho, never mind Bony. You're playing and scoring regularly for either the first team (Iheanacho) or ripping it up on loan (Unal), then they go and buy another player younger than you, and make him first choice.

You'd surely see that as a hint that you're better off elsewhere, right? AVB, Sherwood and Poch all said they wanted to keep the unproven Kane as a backup, which I think we all went apeshit at, but look how it worked out. They knew their onions.

It's already happening at City, and is something I can see becoming a regular occurance; Tyrese Campbell refused to sign a scholarship with City last summer because he could see City's vulgar agenda to stockpile talent as an obstacle somewhere along the road to him reaching the top. The kid scored stupid amounts of goals in the past few years, and joined Stoke instead, scoring 5 youth cup goals so far.

The coaching and facilities are phenomenal (not to mention the shady educational bribery with a place at the prestigious St Bede'soffered to all academy kids and allegedly their siblings too) so I can see pragmatic parents pushing their kids towards City, but the smart ones could/should look to place them elsewhere at 16, at clubs with a culture and ethos of youth integration.

United will likely lose that appeal under the Mourinho, so the necessary people at Spurs should be looking to entice as much talent from their as possible to supplement the fruits of your own superb academy. Campbell would have been a good signing (despite his dad's Woolwich affiliation) and it's worthy keeping an eye on Jadon Sancho's situation; he's a cockney wonderkid who could be the real deal, but City just chucked about £75m on two teenagers in his position (Sane and Jesus) plus he's in direct competition with Brahim
Diaz, who's agent is Pere Guardiola.....

Regarding Aguero, he's lazy and barely speaks any English despite living here for circa 6 years; that's unacceptable. Beyond goals, he offers very little else; he plays well when the team plays well, but is nowhere near the likes of Suarez and Tevez when it comes to carrying teams to the next level. For the kind of money City would want from a direct rival, Dybala would be a better investment, as i think he's got infinitely more in common with the aforementioned talismen than Kun.

Another issue with Aguero is he, like Fabregas, Rooney, Owen and Torres, has been playing top-level football since his mid-teens; they all began to decline at around 27, the general consensus age of reaching your peak as a footballer. In reality, those players have already had an average entire career's worth of games and physical attrition by that age, not to mention the psychological fatigue that the demands of elite performance inevitably impose on the players. There's no way Levy will pursue such a poor investment.

At the same time, it's important that Pocchettino is backed accordingly this summer; all of the big clubs will indulge their managers heavily, and he's earned it more than any of them. He's relatively putting them all to shame with his achievements, given the demographic and cost (both to attain and sustain) of his squad, but ultimately it's the players those teams have on the bench that will be perpetually decisive in the distribution of silverware.

He's already turned down United, but another season or two falling just short because of lack of depth could tempt him to look elsewhere to find the platform his talent as a coach merits. He deserves an Hazard, a De Bruyne, a Sanchez, a Mkhitaryan, and it's up to Levy to find it for him.

Martial could be a genuine option, because Mourinho's a prick with kids and its petulantly trying to prove a point with him. Patrick Roberts realistically isn't gonna get a look in at City, and as people have pointed out Iheanacho has regressed under Pep. Both could probably force a move, and Pocchettino's meritocracy surely appeals to any young talent.

"I thought it was funny when Spurs drew to Chelsea"

Fuck. That. Cunt.

Do not want.

If we're going to continue with the three at the back formation next year, we're going to need an alternative to Rose in that LWB position.
Im surprised Poch hasnt tried Davies at LCB yet. Probably doesnt want to risk injury and be stuck without a LB but he proved more than capable at that spot in the Euros. Could definitely be cover for Verts if we stick with the 3 atb and get more of a wingback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom