Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, find the right player and do your business early.

This idea might have got mentioned before. It got poo-pooed

Whats early?
What difference would it make if Tolijan was signed 6 weeks ago or in two days from now?

You still want signings right? In other positions..? Midfielders and attackers.....yes?

Is it too late there now too? Will you moan if we sign Barkley and Kovacic next week, because we didnt sign them last week?

Odd

And by the way, we dont even know how Trippier is yet

Whats early?
What difference would it make if Tolijan was signed 6 weeks ago or in two days from now?

You still want signings right? In other positions..? Midfielders and attackers.....yes?

Is it too late there now too? Will you moan if we sign Barkley and Kovacic next week, because we didnt sign them last week?

Odd

And by the way, we dont even know how Trippier is yet
Are you genuinely serious about this? Difference between Toljan/anyone signing 6 weeks ago vs 2 days from now will be the intense pre-season training that he would have got so far and the chance to integrate with the team. This isn't Football Manager where a player comes in and slots straight into the first team.

How many times in the past few seasons have we signed players late in the window before starting the season slow, with the new signings eventually settling and us picking up form?

Are you genuinely serious about this? Difference between Toljan/anyone signing 6 weeks ago vs 2 days from now will be the intense pre-season training that he would have got so far and the chance to integrate with the team. This isn't Football Manager where a player comes in and slots straight into the first team.

How many times in the past few seasons have we signed players late in the window before starting the season slow, with the new signings eventually settling and us picking up form?

FM dont make me laugh......last computer game I played was FIFA 96.

How many early signings have been fucking shit?
Yet how did VDV do after a deadline day signing? We are talking about professional footballers.....I suppose Neymar will be shite because PSG didnt sign him in May

:pochfacepalm:

As I said, I wont see anyone moaning if we sign Lemar on Monday because its too late......they will all be wanking off

FM dont make me laugh......last computer game I played was FIFA 96.

How did VDV do after a deadline day signing? We are talking about professional footballers.....I suppose Neymar will be shite because PSG didnt sign him in May

:pochfacepalm:
I am not going to argue with you over this, because the divide in opinion is too much and there's no way for me to convince you. To me it is common sense, earlier we sign our targets, more time they get to train with the squad and the coaching team, the better it is.

Especially because we don't sign really established players like VDV who can slot into the starting 11 because their skill is really good versus the rest of the squad. If we signed Messi on deadline day, I wouldn't care because we know his skill and talent is way better than everyone in the starting 11 we have.

Poch and his coaching team significantly differ in the intensity of coaching versus pretty much everybody else from all the interviews of previous players who have had preseason training with Poch. Poch has a specific way of playing football, especially with the fullbacks and yes, it absolutely makes sense to me that a youngster like Toljan should have been signed early so that he can be trained and coached with the rest of the squad. But even if this doesn't convince you, you are an anonymous person on the internet with a different opinion to me. And no matter how stupid it seems to me, you are obliged to have your opinion, so we leave it at that.

To be honest the right hand side looked adequately covered today. If we do sign a right-back, I hope it is one who can play left-back, and a few other positions as well. A more versatile squad player than Walker. Similar to Corluka. Really not too bothered though.

I am not going to argue with you over this, because the divide in opinion is too much and there's no way for me to convince you. To me it is common sense, earlier we sign our targets, more time they get to train with the squad and the coaching team, the better it is.

Especially because we don't sign really established players like VDV who can slot into the starting 11 because their skill is really good versus the rest of the squad. If we signed Messi on deadline day, I wouldn't care because we know his skill and talent is way better than everyone in the starting 11 we have.

Poch and his coaching team significantly differ in the intensity of coaching versus pretty much everybody else from all the interviews of previous players who have had preseason training with Poch. Poch has a specific way of playing football, especially with the fullbacks and yes, it absolutely makes sense to me that a youngster like Toljan should have been signed early so that he can be trained and coached with the rest of the squad. But even if this doesn't convince you, you are an anonymous person on the internet with a different opinion to me. And no matter how stupid it seems to me, you are obliged to have your opinion, so we leave it at that.
So basically the players you choose can slot in, and ones that don't fit your argument "it's different" and "we leave it there"

Last edited:
This shit tickles me. I remember the days when a player would be signed on a Friday and would be in the starting line up on the Saturday.

These players do actually do preseason training at their own clubs believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom