Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I want players I don't have to google"

In 2013 Paulinho got the player of the tournament award in the Confederations Cup. The media loved him. The fans were excited. This was a huge name player. And he was fucking shit.

In 2013 Soldado had scored 30 goals in 46 games. He was one of the best rated strikers in the world. The media loved him, "Tottenham finally have a 30 goal a season striker". And he was fucking shit.

In 2014 Angel Di Maria joined United - at the time one of the most expensive players in the world at £60 mil. He was named Man Of the Match in the Champions League final, one of the biggest players in the world. He scored 4 goals in 32 games for United and left after a single season.

The idea that "The club should sign famous players" is different from saying "The club should sign good players". Many huge name players have flopped, while many unknown randoms have blossomed and gone on to be top players.

Danny Rose is the sort of person to complain if we had signed Suarez in 2010 because "I haven't heard of him". Fame isn't quality - just ask Radamel Falcao.

"I want players I don't have to google"

In 2013 Paulinho got the player of the tournament award in the Confederations Cup. The media loved him. The fans were excited. This was a huge name player. And he was fucking shit.

In 2013 Soldado had scored 30 goals in 46 games. He was one of the best rated strikers in the world. The media loved him, "Tottenham finally have a 30 goal a season striker". And he was fucking shit.

In 2014 Angel Di Maria joined United - at the time one of the most expensive players in the world at £60 mil. He was named Man Of the Match in the Champions League final, one of the biggest players in the world. He scored 4 goals in 32 games for United and left after a single season.

The idea that "The club should sign famous players" is different from saying "The club should sign good players". Many huge name players have flopped, while many unknown randoms have blossomed and gone on to be top players.

Danny Rose is the sort of person to complain if we had signed Suarez in 2010 because "I haven't heard of him". Fame isn't quality - just ask Radamel Falcao.

You Sir, are one hundred percent fucking spot on.

Walker leaving, a lack of signings and much needed depth. The media gunning for us we are heading into the season less stable than we finished it. That after finishing how we did last year should never have been allowed to happen

Walker leaving was clearly planned by all involved it happened relatively quickly, quietly and smoothly and there were rumours as far back as January he'd be off to City. So that's not turmoil it was a decision planned for by Pochettino and the club and Walker.

Lack of signings isn't turmoil, in fact it's the complete opposite. To fans that live everyday on the back of an F5 refresh of News Now, Twitter ITK and tabloid stories it might seem like turmoil but believe it or not our transfer strategy is well known and respected in the football world. As Redknapp said today, we probably have one of the best first XIs in the country and that makes it very hard to sign players. He said if you're trying to sign a forward for Tottenham and the player is like where do you see me playing, where am I going to fit in, the reply is well you're probably going to be on the bench as we've got Harry Kane. Same as if we try buy a number 10 as we've got Alli or a centre-back. Would you want to be Wimmer's replacement? Hi we'd like to buy you as our current back-up CB has had enough of getting splinters in his ass. If you're a half-decent wide forward you're thinking well Son scored 15 odd goals last season and couldn't even get in the team every week and that's before we even think about Lamela coming back.

This much needed depth you talk of:

Keepers - Lloris / Vorm
Right backs - Trippier / Walker-Peters
Centre backs - Alderweireld / Vertonghen / Dier / Wimmer / Carter-Vickers
Left backs - Rose / Davies
Centre mids - Dembele / Wanyama / Dier / Winks / Sissoko
Attacking mids - Alli / Eriksen / Lamela / Son / N'Koudou
Forwards - Kane / Janssen / Son

So where is this huge need for depth? I'd say right-back to push Trippier, centre mid maybe which will probably be Barkley.

It will be extremely difficult to buy anyone better than Son to cover upfront and as a wide forward I think we could do with an out and out pace option like a Mane. These are all nice-to-have rather than desperately need or even could do with signings. In fact if we got those players in expect to not see anyone come in for a good few seasons unless people leave.

Rose throwing his toys around is not good but he did it earlier in the summer and we are not in turmoil.

I hope Poch has Rose on the bench for the Newcastle game and makes him warm up the entire match. Let him see exactly what the fans think of him. He's worse than Judas and I won't feel a single bit of sympathy for the cunt when his career is plagued with injuries.

He's not worse than Judas but neither was Pol Pot

But he is a cunt of the highest order and should never wear our shirt again

Just don't sell him to another PL club

Ledley is hardly a good example of a decent career. The cunt spent his career on the treatment table and taking hefty wages out of our budget. I'm surprised he's still around the club. Brass neck

I've given you a disagree
Which I'm sure you're gutted about.........

What I would say about Ledley, a wonderful player etc, is that while injured he was photographed several times falling out of a few Essex nightclubs pissed!!

No on!!

Has there been any statement from the club or follow up news??
I've noticed BBC haven't run the story.
They're usually one of the first to take glee in any perceived shortcomings of the club.
Especially if there's the slightest possibility that story may involve Man U.

I'm wondering how much of a story is actually there and how much is the usual Yid-baiting from the cunt rags??

Ok so do we use the funds available to give all our players salary increases or do we spend on new signings? Serious question worth asking
neither

1ed847a0d8c56b12d50820a47aa99f6e_400x400.jpeg

Over in SC:
Latest "ITK"
Goat

The Goat hears that the hold up with Barkley isn't at our end, it's due to Everton not wanting to weaken their bargaining position with Swansea. The Goat's source says to expect Barkley to arrive as soon as they sign Sigurdsson.

The Goat also hears that Barkley wants Spurs, he's convinced Pochettino will make him a top class player.

when teams like Crystal Palace are paying higher salaries than Spurs (allegedly, although pretty much on the money) you have to ask yourself who the aggression should be aimed at.

a club that boasts 'the best forward, best young player, best centre back, best creative player, best full-backs, best passer, best tackler' yet pays less than West Ham (who have the poorest everything, pikeys!)

of course we don't know anything about Spurs from the inside as player wages aren't published. however, if a player says he is not getting paid enough then there's a little window into the club's precedent.

it's shite timing for everyone connected to the club, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom