Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't think It will be difficult to find a substitute to Toby, really think he was a better CB in his first years. Eriksen, the other way, would be pretty difficult to replace.

Indeed. EPL proven doesn't simply mean one has played in said league; it's means proving to be capable of playing and contributing well at said level.

Not better than Rose/Davies or Son/Lucas/Lamela currently so at least lets see things for what they are.... He's a punt.... An expensive GKN if you will.

....Otherwise next thing you know he'll be considered a bust based on his pricetag rather than his development (just ask Davison!) ...

Sessegnon got as many or more assists than any of our players bar Eriksen this season.

For a 19yo kid played in a multitude of positions, in a newly promoted side who made a pigs ear of the league, he's proved he has a lot of potential. And he was more impressive than any 17/18yo has been in recent years in the championship - 15 goals and 6 assists, again playing a number of positions - I'm not sure where the line is crossed from unproven potential to proven exactly, but it's a line we have to try and walk smart with some signings because, we aren't going to buy many that are proven beyond doubt (just look at the price tag for players like Zaha, who's still not exactly proven he's top 6 quality after numerous years).

We aren't going to buy the finished product, most of the best signings we make need be purchased before they peak. I can't think of too many 19yo's out there who fit the "buy before they are too expensive to buy" remit than him, who have achieved more, and are also HG as a nice bonus.

Only based on age and how we dealt with Alderweireld out of the team in 2017/2018.

I don't think Eriksen is as important as people say in the sense that I think we'll get by fine without him with smart signings and a chance in formation.

That's a massive caveat right there though.

If we don't make some extremely smart signings (and I can't remember a smarter signing than Eriksen since we signed Eriksen) and change formation, just his goals/assists (20 a season ish?) alone are going to be sorely missed, ignoring that he's the most intelligent footballer we have by a mile, one of the few players in this league that can play two positions simultaneously, do it covering more ground than most and seeing as much ball as most busy CM's per game whilst creating more chances than nearly every other AM too.

I agree it's not impossible, but I really don't like the odds. We'd have to sign Diawara and Rabiot/NDombele for CM and Feki or Pepe for the AM and switch to a 433 for me to feel like we are going to come out stronger.

Sessegnon got as many or more assists than any of our players bar Eriksen this season.

For a 19yo kid played in a multitude of positions, in a newly promoted side who made a pigs ear of the league, he's proved he has a lot of potential. And he was more impressive than any 17/18yo has been in recent years in the championship - 15 goals and 6 assists, again playing a number of positions - I'm not sure where the line is crossed from unproven potential to proven exactly, but it's a line we have to try and walk smart with some signings because, we aren't going to buy many that are proven beyond doubt (just look at the price tag for players like Zaha, who's still not exactly proven he's top 6 quality after numerous years).

We aren't going to buy the finished product, most of the best signings we make need be purchased before they peak. I can't think of too many 19yo's out there who fit the "buy before they are too expensive to buy" remit than him, who have achieved more, and are also HG as a nice bonus.
Very well put, sir.

Also, here's a picture of Sessegnon that I am in no way taking out of context.

:allitongue:

eax7EtO.jpg

Don't think It will be difficult to find a substitute to Toby,
I don’t think that’s the case he’s been amazing for a while now. The pairing with Jan has been one of the best for multiple seasons. Honestly we’ve been spoiled which is why it seems like it’s not a big deal but asvthecsaying goes “you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone”.

This bloke would be quite handy in our midfield.

90% pass accuracy
1 assist
2 interceptions
8.3 rating for the match (WhoScored)
7.3 avg rating in UCL and last 5 matches all comps

I'm definitely not getting my hopes up but he looks like he'd be an incredible signing for us. He's exactly the type of player that we need at the moment. He's got the control and passing of Dembele but looks much quicker and faster on an attack.

Please Levy... :avbpray:

You just know if Bale moves to the EPL not to us, he will pull up trees.
He is an amazing player and if the deal can be worked out in which it’s not silly money we must take him.

So if we sign Ryan Sess for 30 million what is that? 50% of our transfer budget for the window?
If our budget is 30m then we might as well not bother

However - if we manage shift some deadwood we can raise as much as 50m, imv

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom