Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Define Troll....?

You've been here 7 weeks... That's quite the fan-club considering. :)

This is starting to get way off topic so if there is a better place for the discussion I am all for it.

Troll might be harsh but with Cretinous Goat, Baggio, Romanoblahblah I use it because they just go around disliking every post I make. Its a silly little pathetic action but clearly one designed to annoy me (I guess not sure the reason) and before they come back with some BS about "actually disliking all those posts" some the posts are just relaying information so not really anything to like or dislike about them.

Sammy is Sammy. I know I have only been here 7 weeks but I think we can all see what he does. Troll is not the right word but I would think you would agree he is not a typical poster and has his unique style I'll call it.

With you it is quite different than that. Obviously troll is not the right word but you seem to have disliked me off the bat. You focus in on very specific aspects of my posts, ignore the major points of them and then twist them into weird arguments that often seem to be made just to argue. I think it happens too often for it not to be personal. Maybe I am reading too much into it but looking at this thread of conversation you seem to have way too much of an interest in me as a poster than most people would.

As for goat I think the post under yours illustrates everything that needs to be said about him. Maybe the posts he sent me as a message could help as well but they are so ridiculous that it is best left ignored like most of his posts are.

- Gedson was a short term solution to an injured Sissoko.
- Bergwijn proved more than useful.
- Striker would have been nice... Were clearly in the hunt tho.

So what you're saying is we'd have stashed the bulk of our money this summer?

If we've done this in the past 10 years, would you perhaps show us all where said money has been hidden? ...Or at least show us it leaving the accounts? Standard open challenge to all. :)

Excellent post

- Gedson was a short term solution to an injured Sissoko.
- Bergwijn proved more than useful.
- Striker would have been nice... Were clearly in the hunt tho.

So what you're saying is we'd have stashed the bulk of our money this summer?

If we've done this in the past 10 years, would you perhaps show us all where said money has been hidden? ...Or at least show us it leaving the accounts? Standard open challenge to all. :)

Except he wasn't much of a solution at all and we didn't need it as we had players like Skipp who were more than enough to fill in for Sissoko.

We also had seen that Aurier was our only RB and that Jose did not trust Sess as a LB. So it wasn't just striker we ignored.

I think Levy would have likely used the excuse of stadium loans to explain his lack of spending as the stadium seems to be his favorite excuse to explain away his lack of spending.

As for the books, I always go back to what the President of the Toronto Blue Jays (MLB, so a major sports league) said- "I can make the books say whatever you want, do you want us to have a profit or loss next year." Because these businesses are so huge and complex, especially with the stadium I think Levy can do enough with the books that it is not illegal but what they call creative accounting to make the numbers work for him.

For 10 years we haven't come close to spending what we need or like other clubs in our supposed range so why would I think this would change in the summer.

So we've signed 2 players.

Yet we came into this window needing a RB, DM and ST as priorities. We still need all 3.

Looks like we will be stretching this out all the way until deadline day. Then we will get an injury soon after deadline day and wonder why we didn't provide more depth to the squad.

I'm going to be fuming if we don't get a RB and DM this window. It'll also be stupid having no back up for Kane.

Except he wasn't much of a solution at all and we didn't need it as we had players like Skipp who were more than enough to fill in for Sissoko.

We also had seen that Aurier was our only RB and that Jose did not trust Sess as a LB. So it wasn't just striker we ignored.

I think Levy would have likely used the excuse of stadium loans to explain his lack of spending as the stadium seems to be his favorite excuse to explain away his lack of spending.

As for the books, I always go back to what the President of the Toronto Blue Jays (MLB, so a major sports league) said- "I can make the books say whatever you want, do you want us to have a profit or loss next year." Because these businesses are so huge and complex, especially with the stadium I think Levy can do enough with the books that it is not illegal but what they call creative accounting to make the numbers work for him.

For 10 years we haven't come close to spending what we need or like other clubs in our supposed range so why would I think this would change in the summer.

I get the distinct impression you have no clue about the finances of the club or that of the teams around us and thus have to result to sketchy cliches and anecdotes.

Granted it would be easier to indulge in half-baked rhetoric than take the time to appreciate the investment goals and outcomes of the club over the last decade or so and why they were/are necessary, However the fact is if there were huge amounts of money leaving the club it'd be easily tracked.

It's one of the most childish arguments I've ever heard.

It's like me saying to Sammy go and follow Burnley then if you want underwhelming signings.

People need to grow up a bit so we can have a proper debate.
Ok.....how about this then....errr The 2018 summer window caused Corona!!! Levy Out!!!!

Lighten up John, some of you show more passion during the window than you do during the season. I’m excited about Hojbjerg, get behind the lad.

Real Talk.....

If Jose is keen on Cirkin/Sess & Gedson/Tanganga as back-ups then who gives fuck what the melts think....
People like John have been disappointed forever.
I told the guy 4 years ago he doesn’t understand his own club.
How can they still not know our policy?

How can any spurs fan, STILL, in 2020, not realise that this is what we do?
Absolute muggy little melts.

I get the distinct impression you have no clue about the finances of the club or that of the teams around us and thus have to result to sketchy cliches and anecdotes.

Granted it would be easier to indulge in half-baked rhetoric than take the time to appreciate the investment goals and outcomes of the club over the last decade or so and why they were/are necessary, However the fact is if there were huge amounts of money leaving the club it'd be easily tracked.

Have I claimed that there are huge amounts of money leaving the club?

My complaints have been that we had a historic 2 transfer periods in a row in which we bought nobody when we desperately needed players, we have failed to spend on areas of need and far too often go for the cheap route when a little more investment would bring better players and results.

My complaint with Levy is that he prioritizes making money over ambition, which is his right but then claims to want Tottenham to be a world class club. I don't think he needs to spend like City or PSG or even United or Chelsea. but zero purchases in a two window stretch is unacceptable. Gedson Fernandes on loan when Bruno Fernandes is available, we have a relationship with the selling club and fits an exact need is unacceptable.

I don't need a 200 million dollar warchest every transfer window, but this player in player out BS, constantly trying to add on little add-ons as mentioned in the recent Modric story, missing out on talented players like Bruno because he is too cheap is holding this team back.

People like John have been disappointed forever.
I told the guy 4 years ago he doesn’t understand his own club.
How can they still not know our policy?

How can any spurs fan, STILL, in 2020, not realise that this is what we do?
Absolute muggy little melts.

I can understand them tbh. We all just want to see our team win something and we each balance the hope with the despair differently. I'm glass half full because it is too draining to slag off the club all the time.

Now if somebody had a cry after taking in the League Cup however...

I can understand them tbh. We all just want to see our team win something and we each balance the hope with the despair differently. I'm glass half full because it is too draining to slag off the club all the time.

Now if somebody had a cry after taking in the League Cup however...
I get it too. For once I’d like us to sell Aurier and buy someone who we’ve been tracking since we decided Aurier wasn’t good enough.
That should have been 6 months ago.
We should have signed a striker the second Llorente and Janssen were sold.

But above all, I understand that this is how we do things, and its frustrating but I’d rather never watch football again than dream of being Chelsea like some of these cunts do.

I swear I remember them slagging off the club a few years ago and thinking we were above Coman when some rumours surfaced too.....oops

Last edited:
ENIC in v ENIC out is the most tiring argument. There is no end to it. Because both sides are kinda right.

Levy is a big reason for the club's progression. But his ways also hold us back in some instances.

Arguing in circles about it is useless.

Back
Top Bottom