Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Philippe Coutinho potentially joining Tottenham was one of the most talked about transfers of last summer.

And, for the first time, Mirror Sport can reveal the real truth as to why a deal with Tottenham fell down and the Brazilian forward ended up joining Bayern Munich instead.

The picture was even clouded still further this week when a report in Spain wrongly claimed Coutinho had been left frustrated with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy for not getting the deal done.

But Coutinho's agent Kia Joorabchian told Mirror Sport: "Philippe Coutinho has no personal issue with Daniel Levy and claims otherwise are totally false. The deal did not collapse due to financial reasons."

And the reality is that Tottenham were ready to push ahead with a hugely ambitious deal - but it was ultimately Mauricio Pochettino who decided against it.

Levy was willing to do the Coutinho deal and it was not him who decided against it and the player could have ended up in a Spurs shirt which would have been a hugely popular move with the fans.

But the Coutinho deal fell down because Pochettino was keen to keep the dressing room equilibrium as he has always preferred to work with young players, develop players and has made his reputation as a manager without big names.

Philippe Coutinho potentially joining Tottenham was one of the most talked about transfers of last summer.

And, for the first time, Mirror Sport can reveal the real truth as to why a deal with Tottenham fell down and the Brazilian forward ended up joining Bayern Munich instead.

The picture was even clouded still further this week when a report in Spain wrongly claimed Coutinho had been left frustrated with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy for not getting the deal done.

But Coutinho's agent Kia Joorabchian told Mirror Sport: "Philippe Coutinho has no personal issue with Daniel Levy and claims otherwise are totally false. The deal did not collapse due to financial reasons."

And the reality is that Tottenham were ready to push ahead with a hugely ambitious deal - but it was ultimately Mauricio Pochettino who decided against it.

Levy was willing to do the Coutinho deal and it was not him who decided against it and the player could have ended up in a Spurs shirt which would have been a hugely popular move with the fans.

But the Coutinho deal fell down because Pochettino was keen to keep the dressing room equilibrium as he has always preferred to work with young players, develop players and has made his reputation as a manager without big names.
So it wasn't Levy then.

It was Poch. A slap in the face for the LOB

Maybe, but the point is that the LOB were blaming Levy, as per, when we didn't get him.

Blows a massive big hole in their argument that Levy has the final say on transfers, regardless of what the manager wants.
Pardon my ignorance but what is LOB?

Couldn't disagree more. From The Star..
Coutinho has been hit and miss :eek: in the Bundesliga, scoring eight goals and registering six assists in 22 appearances.
Proven in the EPL. Top of my list.
Playing for the top team in bundesliga though. We are totally different.

I am not buying the idea that Poch did not want more established players, mind you.
Of course he did. I'm sure that he wanted some players that Levy wouldn't sanction.
But it does show that Levy does listen to, and goes along with the manager on some transfers

:gallashmm:

With the info we have it is fair to conclude that they had an interest. But the level of that interest we do not know exactly.

They had him conduct a medical. That's more than interest isn't it? That's researched, analysed, scouted and committed to buy. So yes, Todd, we do know the level.

but we do know that it didn't rise to 60M, or 40M, or 20M a year later.

What the value was a year later is totally irrelevant to the point I was making.But we can be pretty sure that their initial commitment to buy - before the medical - was made at a level of around 53m GBP/60m Eur.

It's what it's about BC. So keep it germane. So if you would like to demonstrate how I've been 'intellectually dishonest' in that debate.

Either you want me to "keep it germane" to the trope of intellect and our lack thereof, or you want me to keep elaborating on how you've been intellectually dishonest, make your mind up?

Keep it germane BC. I've no interest in arguing with you around the margins.

Oh, we both know you are don't we..

You weren't. Admitting the truth is not magnanimity, it's fucking honesty. And since the evidence was laid out for all to see it's pathetic that you would suggest it was anything other than craven to say it was more than that.

Being magnanimous would be to admit you are talking bollocks on this 'brains' shit instead of bringing all kinds of personal attacks in order to save face or to attempt to find a likeminded pile-on...you know, being of higher mind and character.

So, still waiting on your intellectual honesty definition and example from tonight and last night. Perhaps you could display your newfound understanding of magnanimity and spare us the trip down that particular rabbit hole.

Because your most verbose response (three paragraphs) has nothing to do with the discussion on "brains" does it...

When asked to do that we just get a few words claiming disinterest:

I need not take the road down every silly, desperate diversion you attempt to send me down in order to save your argument. Keep it germane.

As I said, I'm happy to have a discussion with you, but from the get go you seemed more interested in grinding a personal axe, being unnecessarily condescending and when I countered your repost about the technical being more of an issue you didn't really seem interested in a meaningful debate.

But as you've insisted it's all about the "brains" issue I originally mooted, then I'll try to summarise where I think we are at.

I stated that I thought our biggest problem in attack were cerebral.

You countered that this was nonsense and that they (the greater issues) are technical.

I countered that by pointing out that we have a bunch of players who are all capable of moments of technical proficiency (like Alli, Son, Lamela, even Moura to a degree) but that is let down by what's between their ears, they make poor decisions and under mental pressure that technical ability becomes flustered. Hence my assertion that the greater issues are of the brain.

If you disagree with that theory, or even think I've misrepresented the argument, by all means let me know.

Last edited:

I'm no Poch apologist, but I find this incredibly implausible on all fronts. That he has always preferred to "work with young players", "develop players" or that he knocked back Coutinho.

The first two we know are bollocks, and I'm pretty sure given the choice he'd have happily entertained the idea of Counting - I mean this is the guy that bought 27yo Sissoko...

I'm no Poch apologist, but I find this incredibly implausible on all fronts. That he has always preferred to "work with young players", "develop players" or that he knocked back Coutinho.

The first two we know are bollocks, and I'm pretty sure given the choice he'd have happily entertained the idea of Coutinho.
Direct quote from his agent specifically mentioning Levy and Spurs.
I hope something will happen.

Back
Top Bottom