Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm no Poch apologist, but I find this incredibly implausible on all fronts. That he has always preferred to "work with young players", "develop players" or that he knocked back Coutinho.

The first two we know are bollocks, and I'm pretty sure given the choice he'd have happily entertained the idea of Counting - I mean this is the guy that bought 27yo Sissoko...

Well the take away from the article is the agent quote... The rest is just framed using the populist impression of Poch.

They had him conduct a medical. That's more than interest isn't it? That's researched, analysed, scouted and committed to buy. So yes, Todd, we do know the level.

What the value was a year later is totally irrelevant to the point I was making.But we can be pretty sure that their initial commitment to buy - before the medical - was made at a level of around 53m GBP/60m Eur.

Either you want me to "keep it germane" to the trope of intellect and our lack thereof, or you want me to keep elaborating on how you've been intellectually dishonest, make your mind up?

Oh, we both know you are don't we..

Because your most verbose response (three paragraphs) has nothing to do with the discussion on "brains" does it...

When asked to do that we just get a few words claiming disinterest:

As I said, I'm happy to have a discussion with you, but from the get go you seemed more interested in grinding a personal axe, being unnecessarily condescending and when I countered your repost about the technical being more of an issue you didn't really seem interested in a meaningful debate.

But as you've insisted it's all about the "brains" issue I originally mooted, then I'll try to summarise where I think we are at.

I stated that I thought our biggest problem in attack were cerebral.

You countered that this was nonsense and that they (the greater issues) are technical.

I countered that by pointing out that we have a bunch of players who are all capable of moments of technical proficiency (like Alli, Son, Lamela, even Moura to a degree) but that is let down by what's between their ears, they make poor decisions and under mental pressure that technical ability becomes flustered. Hence my assertion that the greater issues are of the brain.

If you disagree with that theory, or even think I've misrepresented the argument, by all means let me know.
If I am not mistaken, his original argument was that our biggest issue is our recruitment/lack of a DoF.

If I am not mistaken, his original argument was that our biggest issue is our recruitment/lack of a DoF.

No, we were specifically talking about our attack, and his response was to my claim that a lack of brains (I even qualified that by saying "we have a bunch of bumbling fuckwits in attack") was our biggest issue.

As you know, I have been banging the DOF drum as long as anyone. On that we absolutely agree.

No, we were specifically talking about our attack, and his response was to my claim that a lack of brains (I even qualified that by saying "we have a bunch of bumbling fuckwits in attack") was our biggest issue.
Are you sure? Could you send me a link? This has become very silly, you know.

What do you think todd thinks is the biggest issue in relation to our attacking play?

Plot-twist: RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK bus-conductor bus-conductor & todd1882 todd1882 are all multi's of the same person.
Gv6qlyH.gif

Are you sure? Could you send me a link? This has become very silly, you know.

What do you think todd thinks is the biggest issue in relation to our attacking play?

I agree, but I didn't start with the silly insulting and condescending bollocks did I.

This started when I mooted 20m Fekir as viable value improvement to our lack of brains and composure in attack. Someone replied, and to their reply I said something along the lines of "that's our biggest issue in attack, a lack of brains", Todd asked me to qualify and I said our attackers are a bunch of bumbling fuckwits. He then got all pissy, demanded I elaborate, which I did, he responded and made a post, to which you applauded, saying it was about technical ability, quoting examples of Eriksen, which then turned around to point out that a) technical ability starts with a cognitive (brain) process and Eriksen is an example of intelligence overcoming technical and physical deficiencies.

I agree, but I didn't start with the silly insulting and condescending bollocks did I.
I don't know if he did or he didn't. I got fed up of talking about a player that I don't care about, and a specific debate becoming all sorts of other debates. Whether that is your way of deflecting or you are unwittingly conflating things, I cannot say. Sometimes I think you should take your beating and go home. Show the world you can be a better bus-conductor by admitting you were wrong. Acknowledge your mistakes, and always try to improve as a poster.

Todd comes across like that quite a lot of the time, even in private conversations. It has often made me blow my top. But I have learned a savage amount from him.

I don't know if he did or he didn't. I got fed up of talking about a player that I don't care about, and a specific debate becoming all sorts of other debates. Whether that is your way of deflecting or you are unwittingly conflating things, I cannot say. Sometimes I think you should take your beating and go home. Show the world you can be a better bus-conductor by admitting you were wrong. Acknowledge your mistakes, and always try to improve as a poster.

Todd comes across like that quite a lot of the time, even in private conversations. It has often made me blow my top. But I have learned a savage amount from him.

But what was I drastically wrong about? I firmly believe that brains (and all that encompasses - decision making, psychology, composure under pressure etc) are a bigger issue to us - attack and elsewhere - than technical problems. But was happy to discuss it. What I got was Todd's very well articulated counter and a bunch of fucking uppity bullshit for good measure.

Even if you disagree about Fekir, I made a reasonable case demonstrating I'm not alone on this, that a very competent recruitment apparatus at Liverpool agreed.

At worst it was just about differing opinions. Todd certainly didn't conclusively prove I was wrong or he was more right. What beating do you want me to take on this?

But what was I drastically wrong about? I firmly believe that brains (and all that encompasses - decision making, psychology, composure under pressure etc) are a bigger issue to us - attack and elsewhere - than technical problems.
I feel like I am losing my mind here. Do I believe brains or a lack of technical ability is the bigger problem when it comes to our attacking play? Technical ability. Compounded by poor coaching.

Even if you disagree about Fekir, I made a reasonable case demonstrating I'm not alone on this, that a very competent recruitment apparatus at Liverpool agreed.
I am finished with this.
Todd certainly didn't conclusively prove I was wrong or he was more right.
In my opinion, apart from his HLM routine, he buried you with his argument. I'm out.

I think you guys (BC & Todd) are probably not as far apart in views as you think.

Lots of crossover between things like technique and intelligence.
Usually intelligent players have very good technique. Almost go hand in hand. An intelligent player without technical ability is a coach or fifa player lol.
Eriksen has both for example.

It's physical players who generally lack tekkers and brains as they can use physicality. Vice versa those not blessed as athletes must compensate.

From the olden days 6 August 2019
Not really keen on Dybala but if Coutinho comes for say £80 m and Eriksen leaves for £50 m and DL negotiates a wages deal like he did with City and Ade and Leeds and Robbie...👏
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.

This started when I mooted 20m Fekir as viable value improvement to our lack of brains and composure in attack. Someone replied, and to their reply I said something along the lines of "that's our biggest issue in attack, a lack of brains", Todd asked me to qualify and I said our attackers are a bunch of bumbling fuckwits. He then got all pissy, demanded I elaborate, which I did, he responded and made a post, to which you applauded, saying it was about technical ability, quoting examples of Eriksen, which then turned around to point out that a) technical ability starts with a cognitive (brain) process and Eriksen is an example of intelligence overcoming technical and physical deficiencies.
Is this how you see it BC? Here is my post immediately before you pulled out the 'condesceding' victim BS
Your avoiding the question BC. You're coming off like another prominent poster round these parts. Everything doesn't need to be a zippy response and neither does it answer my question about your statement of the nebulous 'brains' being our biggest problem and addressing our 'bumbling fuckwits' with 1 player. The Fekir-less Liverpool has nothing to do with it as I asked your opinion based on the players Rangnick and Nagelsmann have used...and neither has used Fekir. And there are more than enough questions about Fekir's technical ability ie his ability to beat a man beyond cutting in from the right and shooting, his ability to hold against pressure without looking for the foul, and his ability to pass beyond last-ditch throughballs from the D when all else has failed. And just dropping Moura won't alter the fortunes that you say afflicts all our attack.

What does that even mean? As stated, you are reminding me that it is possible for a player to be an intelligent donkey. Thanks for that BC. See, if you addressed my points directly you probably wouldn't have tied yourself in knots to come up with that bit of bollocks.

But to be clear I am not saying a lack of technical ability is 'our biggest problem'. I am just saying that it is what afflicts our attack and team in general. But I am asking you, again, to support your statement that a lack of 'brains' is what is doing us in the most. That's the point I'd like you to address and not any ancillary or tangential BS...as I know why you'd prefer to address that stuff.
And here is your reply
We have lots of problems, and I have frequently voiced concerns about them individually and collectively, but in my original remark, I was particularly referring to our attack, which I qualified for you when I said

Maybe you were too busy trying to score wisecrack points with your "off left field, spit balling" and fucking whatnot to notice.

You see the word bumbling there. That's acknowledging that I too have noticed a problem with technique.

We have a range of different attributes in our attack, some are quick, and despite bumbling a lot of the time some are capable of moments of outstanding technique. But with the exception of Kane, they nearly all lack consistent cognitive ability under pressure. This is evidenced by our mid table stats in terms of XG etc.

But I'll front up and say I think, again not ignoring a number of problems we have throughout the team, and club, collectively and individually, I think a lack of intelligence is probably our biggest single issue. Pochettino has filled the team with really unintelligent footballer's who not only do unintelligent basic things, but can't even grasp basic tactical concepts, have really poor cognitive skills and seem incapable of learning from "coaching" or errors they make. This is possibly why Pochettino was desperately still clinging to notion of players like Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen - despite them being knackered or not wanting to play for him any more.

I'm sure you clearly have a differing opinion, if you really want to debate them in a civil manner then I'm happy to do that, but if you are going to keep taking this condescending tone to me, you can fuck off.
The way it looks to me is that you were questioned on a rather tenuous bit of BS and couldn't defend it. When that slope got ever more slippery you decided to make the focus ME instead of your shitty position and argument. And even in response to being told to fuck off I kept it civil and kept hammering away at your argument. Do you know why BC? Because I was on a winner and needed not deflect attention away from the fact that reason and rationale were in my favor. As I kept saying, I was fully aware of why you desired to move the subject of the debate...if I were in your position I would have desired it as well.

"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table."

Stop pounding the table Mr Magnanimity, you precious flower.

No. EF beat RBL 2-0.
Oh, was that right before/around the Schalke game when RBL was on a run of 4 or so questionable results? I am aware that I could just look it up but I'm testing my memory Klaus. If this brain nugget is wrong I will do just that...and maybe watch the game since apparently I don't remember.

Is this how you see it BC? Here is my post immediately before you pulled out the 'condesceding' victim BS
And here is your reply
The way it looks to me is that you were questioned on a rather tenuous bit of BS and couldn't defend it. When that slope got ever more slippery you decided to make the focus ME instead of your shitty position and argument. And even in response to being told to fuck off I kept it civil and kept hammering away at your argument. Do you know why BC? Because I was on a winner and needed not deflect attention away from the fact that reason and rationale were in my favor. As I kept saying, I was fully aware of why you desired to move the subject of the debate...if I were in your position I would have desired it as well.

"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table."

Stop pounding the table Mr Magnanimity, you precious flower.

So you are still choosing to ignore the arguments I have put forward to support my claim that brains are the biggest problem with our attack and think that just repeating “you are wrong” makes it so?

I made a statement, you asked me to qualify it, I did, you came back with your notion that the problems were more technical, I responded to that and gave you examples of why I believe that is wrong.

Im waiting for you to rebut those arguments, you’ve struggled to do so, and instead just choosing to repeat the mantra “I’m right, your wrong”.

Oh, was that right before/around the Schalke game when RBL was on a run of 4 or so questionable results? I am aware that I could just look it up but I'm testing my memory Klaus. If this brain nugget is wrong I will do just that...and maybe watch the game since apparently I don't remember.
EF v RBL game was January 25.
Schalke v RBL was Feb 22, just after RBL had beaten us 1-0 at home.
Yes, the EF game was the beginning of a "sticky" spell for RBL. They went on to draw 2-2 with BMG, lost 3-1 against EF in the Cup and drew 0-0 with Bayern.

So you are still choosing to ignore the arguments I have put forward to support my claim that brains are the biggest problem with our attack and think that just repeating “you are wrong” makes it so?

I made a statement, you asked me to qualify it, I did, you came back with your notion that the problems were more technical, I responded to that and gave you examples of why I believe that is wrong.

Im waiting for you to rebut those arguments, you’ve struggled to do so, and instead just choosing to repeat the mantra “I’m right, your wrong”.
BC, I have just directly addressed your baseless attack on my person. Perhaps you should focus your reply on that. You just blatantly mischaracterized a situation, repeatedly, to make yourself a victim. I've responded and now you're attempting to change the subject again from the very direct point I have made. Again, I know why you'd like to change the subject matter just like I know why you'd like to change the history of your posts...but they're right here and bookmarked. Have you no shame?

Back
Top Bottom