Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes. Seems like a very solid keeper to me.

I've seen loads of Lille, like you he seems pretty solid (or to put it more honestly, I've not noticed him making any big mistakes, so hasn't caught my attention for the wrong reasons) but haven't really paid much attention to him. Is he any good with his feet ?

I've seen loads of Lille, like you he seems pretty solid (or to put it more honestly, I've not noticed him making any big mistakes, so hasn't caught my attention for the wrong reasons) but haven't really paid much attention to him. Is he any good with his feet ?
In all the games I have seen him play, I cannot ever remember thinking he made a balls of something. Word has it he is good with his feet, but I haven't paid much attention to that. Going to have a serious look at some of his work this weekend.

I honestly don't understand where there's any confusion with this 30 June contract scenario. This is a red herring.

It's not like Pl clubs are going to be losing big chunks of their playing staff due to them all ending their contracts on the 30th June. They will be losing 1 or 2 maybe 3 or 4 players - and the fact that they've let them run their contract down suggests they aren't exactly "key players" either (in most cases).

Losing 1 or 2 (or even 3 or 4) players, in most cases non vital players, is not going to prevent any PL team from playing 10 games of football.

Whatever happens, the contracts will be binding, unless by some miracle there's an act of force majeure clause inserted into it that stipulates an even such as the one we are experiencing.

It will then be up the the clubs to offer new contracts (short, medium, whatever..) if they want to retain those players and for those players to accept them if they so choose. Or the clubs will just let those players go, and in some cases will be happy to get them off the wage the wage bill.
As you rightly point out you have not understood the questions.

OK, you have understood the questions but chosen to post a completely irrelevant text in response. Fair enough.

Your question was:

Has anyone explained what happens with expiring contracts?

Which I answered with:

I honestly don't understand where there's any confusion with this 30 June contract scenario. This is a red herring.

It's not like Pl clubs are going to be losing big chunks of their playing staff due to them all ending their contracts on the 30th June. They will be losing 1 or 2 maybe 3 or 4 players - and the fact that they've let them run their contract down suggests they aren't exactly "key players" either (in most cases).

Losing 1 or 2 (or even 3 or 4) players, in most cases non vital players, is not going to prevent any PL team from playing 10 games of football.

Whatever happens, the contracts will be binding, unless by some miracle there's an act of force majeure clause inserted into it that stipulates an even such as the one we are experiencing.

It will then be up the the clubs to offer new contracts (short, medium, whatever..) if they want to retain those players and for those players to accept them if they so choose. Or the clubs will just let those players go, and in some cases will be happy to get them off the wage the wage bill.

How is that irrelevant text?

It directly answers your question.

Just in case you are still confused.

Contracts are legal agreements that have clear expiry dates. They will not change.

Clubs and players would have to agree to mutually amend or effectively negotiate new contracts when they expire.

But even if they don’t, so what, PL clubs losing the odd player, isn’t going to stop them being able to play football matches.

Is there any of that that isn’t covering your question?

Your question was:

Which I answered with:

How is that irrelevant text?

It directly answers your question.

Just in case you are still confused.

Contracts are legal agreements that have clear expiry dates. They will not change.

Clubs and players would have to agree to mutually amend or effectively negotiate new contracts when they expire.

But even if they don’t, so what, PL clubs losing the odd player, isn’t going to stop them being able to play football matches.

Is there any of that that isn’t covering your question?
The point was (a) about the integrity of the competition if the season goes beyond the date when contracts expire, (b) how the next window will be affected if this season runs on through the summer and (c) whether any decisions had been made by authorities. You would probably know this if you scrolled.

I wasn’t asking your opinion on contract law, or anything else for that matter. No doubt there is 20 pages of wibble on the way though.

The window is apparently still scheduled to open on 10 June. It doesn’t look like any decisions have been made yet.
Some are saying player sales are the only way some clubs will survive loss of revenue.

How the coronavirus crisis is impacting on transfer market in football
I've no idea if there will be a normal transfer window or not, but the date on which it opens is midnight on the last day of the season, not 10 June.

According to page 219 of the Premier League Handbook 2019/20, in the section "Transfer Windows"

V.2. The Summer Transfer Window in any year shall:
V.2.1. conclude at 17:00 on the Thursday before the commencement of the
relevant Season or at such other date and at such other time as the Board
may determine in its discretion (which will only be exercised in the event of
agreement by a simple majority of Clubs on an alternative date and time);
and
V.2.2. commence either: (1) at midnight on the last day of the Season; or (2) at
midnight on the date 12 weeks prior to the date on which it is to conclude
(in accordance with Rule V.2.1, above), whichever is the later.

As the 2020-21 season is still due to begin on Saturday 8 August 2020, then (2) above isn't applicable.

Like I say, all bets are off as to what will eventually happen, but thems the rules

I've no idea if there will be a normal transfer window or not, but the date on which it opens is midnight on the last day of the season, not 10 June.

According to page 219 of the Premier League Handbook 2019/20, in the section "Transfer Windows"

V.2. The Summer Transfer Window in any year shall:
V.2.1. conclude at 17:00 on the Thursday before the commencement of the
relevant Season or at such other date and at such other time as the Board
may determine in its discretion (which will only be exercised in the event of
agreement by a simple majority of Clubs on an alternative date and time);
and
V.2.2. commence either: (1) at midnight on the last day of the Season; or (2) at
midnight on the date 12 weeks prior to the date on which it is to conclude
(in accordance with Rule V.2.1, above), whichever is the later.

As the 2020-21 season is still due to begin on Saturday 8 August 2020, then (2) above isn't applicable.

Like I say, all bets are off as to what will eventually happen, but thems the rules
ESPN and other news outlets refer to 10 June, any idea where that date comes from?

Back
Top Bottom