Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Tifo Podcast discussed the deal around the time it got done. They had a theory about Mourinho helping out a Jorge Mendes client, and somehow keeping Gedson’s value up by adding a big club to his CV.

I’ll accept that as an explanation.

This is not how football works. Mourinho would help Mendes by bringing in a player he doesn´t need? Really? I love the tifo podcast, but this was absolutely childish.

This is not how football works. Mourinho would help Mendes by bringing in a player he doesn´t need? Really? I love the tifo podcast, but this was absolutely childish.
To be fair, I heard similar from Duncan Castles on Transfer Window a while back. I think Jose and Duncan are pretty linked.

To be fair, I heard similar from Duncan Castles on Transfer Window a while back. I think Jose and Duncan are pretty linked.
I´d like to hear that one. Duncan is not only linked with Jose, most of the time he acts like Jose´s voice in the media. Why would he say anything like that?

But also makes the most sense to me. Our scouting and player purchasing in recent years is a shit show with no sign of a change of approach.

I agree, he didn’t tick any of the boxes for the type of player we really needed. It was an opportune, get a body in for cheap, move.

I think the only way it makes any sense is as per that piece posted above by reachingforthestars reachingforthestars (and people like todd1882 todd1882 I think were mooting this from the get go) that this is all about a Mendes thing.

It doesn't make sense from a recruitment angle because as bad as a scouting has been the last few years, this isn't an improvement on it or an example of smart scouting where you pick up a young kid who's shown genuine tangible potential for peanuts (Alli 5m, Dier 3m, Walker 5m, Eriksen 12m, etc etc) who fits the profile or position you really need to recruit for, this is using up a non HG squad place on a kid who's shown bits of something at youth level in Portugal, who even if he works out, will cost us somewhere between 30-50m, if we can screw over the loan deal buy out.

We needed a body, but a decent player who could have slotted right in as a DM - on loan for 6 months with a cheap option to buy, would have made more sense than this. Or just spending the time developing Skipp.

I just hope somewhere down the line we get a favour back from Mendes (unless we already have had it in the form of Jose's contract deal or something, and Gedson was the pay off).

Yes I know fuck all
Apart from a nice flick against Norwich he's done nothing that none of our other CM'S can do
Furthermore , we alreayd have too many CM'S
AND Finally his release clause is like £50m thats my big problem , why couldn't they agree a deal like that with another player like Florentino Luis who would've actually solved a problem in our squad

Too many midfielders? Assuming we stick with playing 1 DM and 1 B2B, we have -

Gedson, Skipp, Winks, Ndombele, Dier and Sissoko.

At 31, have to assume Sissoko is in the shop window.
Ndombele having injury and fitness issues.
Dier finding his feet after a long break following surgery.
Winks with ongoing injury.

As people said, the signing made sense and he looks like he could be a very good player. Quick feet, good in tight spaces, can shoot from distance, set piece taker. Haven't seen enough of his to judge his positional judgement and strength; but these are things that can be coached.

We won't be paying 50m for him, unless their really is a believe that he is the next 'wonderkid'. More likely somwhere in the low 20s.

Too many midfielders? Assuming we stick with playing 1 DM and 1 B2B, we have -

Gedson, Skipp, Winks, Ndombele, Dier and Sissoko.

At 31, have to assume Sissoko is in the shop window.
Ndombele having injury and fitness issues.
Dier finding his feet after a long break following surgery.
Winks with ongoing injury.

As people said, the signing made sense and he looks like he could be a very good player. Quick feet, good in tight spaces, can shoot from distance, set piece taker. Haven't seen enough of his to judge his positional judgement and strength; but these are things that can be coached.

We won't be paying 50m for him, unless their really is a believe that he is the next 'wonderkid'. More likely somwhere in the low 20s.
I agree, but you forgot to mention Lo Celso.

Didn't realise we have a lot of Gedson fanboys in the chat. A big defense for a player who is not providing much to the squad.
Anyway,
Sissoko argument . Thought he had a good season last season as a CM and feel a bit sorry for him as he's always covering for Aurier. However , he's clearly not good enough for a top 4 team , he did a job but our midfield last season was shit , his shooting is a joke. He's a professional footballer not some random lad
Replace Aurier with Sissoko as a bombing forward RB and I think you'll have found his best position.

There is an article on Fraser on the Athletic now. We are mentioned but fortunately our interest isn't as strong as others if they are to be believed. The teams mentioned who fancy him seem much more likely to me. Normally I think they are useless on transfers but this is Ornstein writing it and he seems to know what he's talking about sometimes:

Tottenham Hotspur and Woolwich are the notable names to have been linked with Fraser in recent weeks but neither are thought to view him as a priority — for now. Tottenham are felt to be more open to free agents as they are only likely to spend whatever money they receive during the summer window, although the uncertainty means new arrivals are not being given much thought. Fraser is not thought to be high on Woolwich’s list. Previously, it was understood there were concerns about whether he would be a good fit in north London; the spotlight of life at a top-six club may well be a challenge for a man who is of a quiet, introverted nature and tends to keep himself to himself. Those who have worked with Fraser regard the lifestyle he leads at Bournemouth as ideally suited to him.

The stronger interest appears to lie with mid-table sides. Last summer and again in January, several Premier League clubs were understood to be interested in Fraser, including Newcastle United and Everton. It is also understood that Crystal Palace and Watford are among those who would like to sign him. But unusually for a player of his repute so close to July, there is no certainty about his future destination, as things stand.

It could well be more plausible than you think. The only other club that was really interested in Gedson was West Ham. So, Jose got to help out his mate Mendes, and Levy got to get another one over on the Spammers. A win win for both of them.

It would never happen obviously but either Aubameyang or Lacazette would improve us in the forward areas.

Lacazette works hard and would be good option for the bench, but not sure what we'd do with him within our starting XI.

Harry + Aub-etc. as a 2 would would have been great back in the day... Not sure we'd get away with playing that way now... Nor playing Sonny as a trad. winger.

Son / Kane / Aub in a 433 I guess would be the most likely solution, but yeh, not gonna happen and he's red scum anyway.

Lacazette works hard and would be good option for the bench, but not sure what we'd do with him within our starting XI.

Harry + Aub-etc. as a 2 would would have been great back in the day... Not sure we'd get away with playing that way now... Nor playing Sonny as a trad. winger.

Son / Kane / Aub in a 433 I guess would be the most likely solution, but yeh, not gonna happen and he's red scum anyway.
He almost joined Spurs before Dortmund. He visited the training ground and had talks. I remember reading he felt he was messed around by Levy so vowed he wouldn't ever join Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom